which story or quest line?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

redstamp

which story or quest line?

Post by redstamp » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 12:45

So I am fairly new to this game - I know... late!

Great game but with all of the DLCs I am quite mystified about which storyline to follow / quests to do. I have started building stations, have the PHQ and explored most of the map. I have done some basic generic quests to get cash & rep, but there also seems to be major storyline to follow. Issue tends to be no time to spend on storyline as pirate and Xenon activity just keep distracting.

Anyway, was really asking what storyline should I progress / are best? Realise not a simple answer but any tips useful 👍

Thanks,
Jon

chew-ie
x4

Re: which story or quest line?

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 13:11

What gamestart did you use?

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 14:01

redstamp wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 24, 12:45
Anyway, was really asking what storyline should I progress / are best?
There are many "stories". None is "huge". Some invoke permanent changes on factions, with "point of choice", i.e. one can't get all outcomes within one playthrough.
Separate stories can be done in any order or simultaneously.

Define "best".

Empyrean Curs (a ToA mini-story) is a rather nice tutorial for beginners. (I'd presume as non-beginner.)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

redstamp

Post by redstamp » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 15:48

chew-ie wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 24, 13:11
I used Young Guns.

redstamp

Post by redstamp » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 15:56

jlehtone wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 24, 14:01
redstamp wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 24, 12:45
Anyway, was really asking what storyline should I progress / are best?
There are many "stories". None is "huge". Some invoke permanent changes on factions, with "point of choice", i.e. one can't get all outcomes within one playthrough.
Separate stories can be done in any order or simultaneously.

Define "best".

Empyrean Curs (a ToA mini-story) is a rather nice tutorial for beginners. (I'd presume as non-beginner.)
Yeah non- beginner - played Elite for many years and now upto 500m net worth - although could have planned bases and lots of other stuff better if I knew then what I know now 😉

Good point ref best. I suppose I want leave my options open as haven't figured it all out yet, so points of choice sounds like I should learn more first.

Ones that result in serious ships and weaponry I can use on Xenon seems like a decent choice right now :D

I have an Odessey with modded weapons but wants to start taking territory rather than always on the defensive.

Thanks.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 15:58

redstamp wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 24, 15:48
chew-ie wrote:
I used Young Guns.
Then you are around the Argon territory - doing the Hatikvah plot is a nice start IMHO. And starting the Boron plot in Heretics End is doable very early too. Although I'd recommend to build a small water production facility there as preparation (not needed, but Borons will love you for every bit of water you can provide =)). In general this route has little to no combat involved.

But you can also do a deep space expedition and look for the terrans. They have some nice missions as well - and the early ones yield a few good rewards. There is some combat involved though. (going deeper into the Yaki plot can end with a major offensive against the Xenon - this brings the most joy if you have a proper fleet (or more then one))

Can't speak for the other plots as I haven't completed most them myself yet (only started them, can't provide a final conclusion). :oops: (the "real game" started for me with the Boron DLC - and there is sooo much to do)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 18:15

chew-ie wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 24, 15:58
redstamp wrote:
Sun, 24. Mar 24, 15:48
chew-ie wrote:
I used Young Guns.
Then you are around the Argon territory - doing the Hatikvah plot is a nice start IMHO. ...
It's also a prerequisite for the Paranid and Split plots, which are given by Dal Busta. The Hatikvah mini-plotline is also a tutorial for several game mechanics.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Sun, 24. Mar 24, 20:59

Player HQ is really required, and you've got that.

The Hatikvah plot is almost required because you need to get acquainted with Dal. He opens up a lot of later game plots.

If you are looking for phat lewt, the Terran quest would be best. They won't like you much from the Young Guns start, so you'll need to shoot some criminal traffic around their stations, maybe blast some Xenon near their stations, and do a few odd jobs for them first. If I remember right, you just need to get your faction level up to 5 for them, then wander into their territory. You'll get a call about joining the Foreign Legion... or, well, whatever they call it in the future.

The Boron quest is pretty good, too, but it takes a while to get your nice ship - and I don't think it's as nice as what you get from the Terran quest lines.

The other quests are more about impacting the universe. They don't actually pay well at all.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Return to “X4: Foundations”