Looking for agile glass cannon

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pref
x4

Looking for agile glass cannon

Post by pref » Fri, 15. Mar 24, 00:42

Heyho!

Just got the 2 latest DLCs - haven't played since sol got released - and was wondering if there are any ships better then dragon raider in the glass cannon category from the new content either in shipyards, via missions or custom start scenarios?
I just strive for more mobility and firepower, had no probs staying alive. If there is a ship that performs better with flight assist (space drag) off i'm doubly interested.

Any input greatly appreciated, cheers!

chew-ie
x4

Re: Looking for agile glass cannon

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 15. Mar 24, 00:54

No experience with space drag flight - but have a look at the Boron Hydra. It's a beast which can hold of entire Xenon S squads and solo a K. The trick is to equip the Boron sniper weapon - which has a very high damage output and good cooling (for a sniper weapon). A Xenon N is a one-shot victim with one volley. A graviton turret takes 3-4 hits.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

pref
x4

Post by pref » Sun, 17. Mar 24, 23:01

Can that ship only use boron weapons?
Was checking Roguey's (no clue how up to date the site is) - seems sustained weapon energy is much lower along with speed.
Much weaker then the dragon unless bare stats are misleading.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 17. Mar 24, 23:32

pref wrote:
Sun, 17. Mar 24, 23:01
Can that ship only use boron weapons?
Yep - that's true for all Boron stuff. Only works with Boron ships. but if you have the chance, try it out. I was quite surprised how many Xenon I can keep in check with a long-range weapon while being forced in close-combat (got swarmed by a Xenon patrol with P/M/N). Felt like it never ended, but I survived...
pref wrote:
Sun, 17. Mar 24, 23:01
Was checking Roguey's (no clue how up to date the site is) - seems sustained weapon energy is much lower along with speed.
Much weaker then the dragon unless bare stats are misleading.
Roguey AFAIK datamines every new release - so the data should be up-to-date. Only thing is - rogueys site let you equip all weapons / engines on all ships. (e.g. including Xenon / Kha'ak stuff). That's indeed a bit misleading.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 18. Mar 24, 00:10

Wouldn't worry too much about the sustained fire stats for Ion Pulse Railgun - it's the 1420MJ per shot shield damage (920MJ hull damage) that counts. Consider for a moment how much shield + hull the average S fighter has. It can also deliver that damage to targets at a range of over 8km, with a shot speed of 8km/s. It's a bloody lethal weapon for use against S/M targets. I generally had 3 of them on my Hydra, with a torpedo launcher in the 4th slot in case I needed to take on anything bigger.

Only thing that doesn't really fit with the glass cannon requirement is that it's not particularly fragile - hull is very comparable to Dragon Raider, however it has MUCH stronger shielding (about 26k with mk3 BOR shields). Thoroughly enjoyed flying one in my Boron game.

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Mon, 18. Mar 24, 06:14

Mobility irikanji by far the most mobile but has no fire power.

You could look at moreya or the other yaki ship but dragon is still the best bet for glass cannon by far. Split ships are literally built around glass cannon.

Katana is a superb all rounder, think it was designed to be the player ship.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 18. Mar 24, 09:42

If you want a tailored glass cannon ship challenge then just fit fewer or lower capability shields to your ship choice - you can even roll for and fit in-game blue shield mods that adversely affect shield regeneration delay or speed even if they add modestly to capacity. Obviously the ship should have no servicecrew, and no repair drones if a frigate. Agility can be increased with in-game mods. I think all that might be challenge enough, but if you really want a damage-avoidance bragging rights situation then don't fit any shields at all!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Tue, 19. Mar 24, 22:22

Thanks folks, guess it's time to dive in..

Return to “X4: Foundations”