Egosoft unveils X4: Timelines expansion and major 7.00 update to X4: Foundations

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Candaan001
x4

Re: Egosoft unveils X4: Timelines expansion and major 7.00 update to X4: Foundations

Post by Candaan001 » Wed, 20. Dec 23, 23:58

Shut up and take my money.

Thomas2052
x4

Re: Egosoft unveils X4: Timelines expansion and major 7.00 update to X4: Foundations

Post by Thomas2052 » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 00:00

mr.WHO wrote:
Wed, 20. Dec 23, 18:35
Lets list new ships from trailer:
- old Xenon K/J (0:12)
- old Xenon medium ship (0:12)
- old Terran/Argon hero ship (R.Gunner?) (0:21)
- X-Shuttle (0:32)
- old Terran/Argon ship (0:37), looks a bit like human version of Nodan
- Split M0 ? (0:39)
- CPU ship (0:41)
- unknown, possibly very old Terran fighter from early Terraformer conflict (0:46)
- Racing fighter (0:53)
- old Xenon M0 (1:02)
- old Xenon L (1:10)

11 ships in total.
Thank you!

Why did it take four pages of comments before someone wanted to talk about the ships?!

Absolutely excited for the ships. More speculation about ships please.

(Wishing for race-specific battleships to rival the Asgard and Erlking; Xenon, Khaak and Yaki carriers/capitals; light carriers and frigates for all; and world peace) [last one optional]

Realise this will not be fulfilled, but dreams are harmless!
Older. Not wiser.

Crimsonraziel
x4

Post by Crimsonraziel » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 00:18

mr.WHO wrote:
- old Terran/Argon hero ship (R.Gunner?) (0:21)
The ship was called AP Gunner, I think you're right
mr.WHO wrote:
- Split M0 ? (0:39)
Split never had one, as far as I know. Don't think it's a Pteranodon (M2+ anyway). Maybe it's something from the books that I forgot or it's tied to those behind this timeline stuff.
Don't make me hungry. You wouldn't like me when I'm hungry!
#MakeNishalaGreatAgain #BoronLivesMatter :boron:
#LoveAldrin #FreeAlbion #ReturnOfMegalodon

Matthew94
xr

Post by Matthew94 » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 00:52

Hand crafted missions sound good. I wonder what, if any, things we'll have beyond fighting, trading, and following people.

Maybe we'll have trading scenarios within mini universes.

Having hand made combat encounters like X-Wing is a good addition. At least then the battles will be ballanced for your loadout and you can have huge battles without worrying about the effect on the wider universe.

xxlordsothxx

Post by xxlordsothxx » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 01:20

I have purchased all DLCs prior to this one but standalone missions don't sound very exciting to me. This may be the first time I don't purchase the DLC. I like the open world/sandbox aspects of X4 and this new DLC seems to be disconnected from that.

I will say the 7.0 updates look amazing. Argon ships needed some love and new sectors + Xenon ships sounds great! I am also excited for the new end game crisis.

While this DLC might not be for me, I am happy Egosoft continues to support the game.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 02:33

For me I'm very dubious about this DLC I'm afraid. I have to be honest, as I always am, perhaps to a fault.
I've been excited and purchased all previous DLCs. It feels akin to the Total War historical battles that you access from the main menu on most of the TW games, something that is tacked-on to the main menu to play some 20 minute famous battle (which I personally have little interest in) - all while the actual sandbox has nothing to do with them. New ships are always welcome, but as they are antiquated will they even be integrated into the base sandbox to enrich it once I 'unlock' them? Or will they be tacked-on anachronisms for the player? I honestly dont know whether I will buy this one, which is a first.

Racing track... I have been requesting this for a long time and even tried to do it in x3. I think it will work wonders in X4 as we dont have collision damage and could be amazing, but if it is offered as a separate 'scenario' and doesnt enrich the base sandbox? If doing the scenario unlocks racing within the sandbox (like freedoms reach sector iirc?) then ok, but if doing the racing scenario just gives me the racing ship blueprint, or something like that, ide be quite upset and not even want this dlc. As a note unlocking things outside of the sandbox for use within it, for me, is massively immersion breaking.

I am more interested in 7.0 than the DLC at this stage, by a long shot. And I do appreciate that it looks like we are getting new sectors in 7.0 as if to mitigate the lack of expansion to the sandbox within this dlc, but the paid dlc being something so outside of what I was expecting is worrying.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 03:06

The assets look great (especially the new/old Xenon ships, very impressive work!), but I'm not sold on the nature of the DLC.

As I understand the idea right now it's an entirely separate game mode of mini games/missions that unlock things for normal savegames similar to venture rewards. This is not really immersive and something a lot of people will just rush through for the unlocks and never touch again, especially if the missions are a little janky at launch (and let's face it, they will be).

Please consider integrating them into the sandbox universe instead. You could still have the same (or a similar) concept if you made them essentially single player ventures, where the player is sent out of the sandbox universe to play these missions/pivotal moments in X history through anomaly shenanigans or some sort of 'data vault'-like beacon. It'd be more compelling if these special missions were discoverable from and tied into normal gameplay and rewards earned and unlocked this way. Not only would this mean replaying them in new save games (adding to things you can do in the actual game), but it would also make more sense than just having magically unlocked 'assets' in the sandbox all of a sudden which may break the early game even more.

It would also mean people can keep their sandbox universe progressing while they play through the story content. Even if the player is in disconnected space and cannot directly return to their main empire, they could still progress on their save (e.g. terraforming) instead of having to put it all on hold to play the new DLC.
Gregory wrote:
Tue, 19. Dec 23, 19:40
  • Enhanced Button Remapping: Tailor your controls with more flexibility than ever before.
Incredibly niche request: Could we have better support for analog keyboards?

I'm not asking for full Wooting analog SDK level of support, but right now if you bind an analog axis for strafing/banking/rolling/scrolling/etc. the game thinks you're switching to controller, disabling mouse steering and other controls as you use the key (since short of specific support it's passed to the game as a controller input). Just having a way to override this behaviour so you can seamlessly use analog keys alongside normal mouse and keyboard would be enough to make things usable. :)
Last edited by adeine on Thu, 21. Dec 23, 03:24, edited 2 times in total.

magitsu
x4

Post by magitsu » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 03:22

The scenarios (and editor) could be useful to test and further develop fleet battle AI. Mostly repeatable conditions and easier to test beyond usual beta subscriber numbers. If there was willingness to do so. Other ideas could be tested in scenarios as well.
Otherwise they might be one off like dlc storylines before. In the future I won't support further paid scenarios. Work towards new mechanisms needs to be re-usable in the sandbox.

Nerwesta

Post by Nerwesta » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 04:59

Absolutely mesmerising teaser, I really like the ambience and the music, but also the Voice Actor. Anything beyond that were already noted by others people here ...
At 0:44 we see Split, Paranid, Argon, Paranid again and Boron but no Teladi nor Terran. I'm not sure if it's important at this point. :oops:

edit : moments around which the future pivots = showing an old X series ship with that beautiful spinning generator. :D

Hector0x
x3tc

Post by Hector0x » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 06:13

Axeface wrote:
Thu, 21. Dec 23, 02:33
It feels akin to the Total War historical battles that you access from the main menu on most of the TW games, something that is tacked-on to the main menu to play some 20 minute famous battle (which I personally have little interest in) - all while the actual sandbox has nothing to do with them.
According to the Steam/GOG descriptions its safe to say that this Harper Donel stuff will be more than just historical battles.

Its a coherent separate campaign in the 'border territories'. To me this sounds like a second galaxy map. This is not unreasonable as they probably have a pipeline to create sectors and planets almost procedurally now.
And the adventure 'trancends time and space'. My guess is Sohnen have messed up the timeline and want the player to fix it. Basically a Prince of Persia plot where decisions in the past lead to big changes in the present gameworld and at first you unintentionally make the problem worse or even cause it in the first place until a final masterplan resolves everything in a huge spacetime paradox.

This could be a genius blend of storytelling with a game mechanics driven sandbox. Wih new factions and war relations being introduced after such a historical mission, but afterwards the simulation takes over again.

xzanfr
x4

Post by xzanfr » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 09:39

I'm not 100% sure what this update involves as yet but it looks to be a story / tutorial, accessed from the main menu (so outside of the main game) with references & easter eggs for X3 players.

I'm looking forward to additional fixes and content for the main game but from what I've read so far, this update isn't for me.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 10:05

The fighters at the following point in the video ..
https://youtu.be/0EEX6a_z2Tw?t=45
.. They remind me of Teladi Khea

(The white fighters, you only see them briefly)
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 10:44

Being honest, my first impression after the teaser was a bit...

Honestly, I feel like what players want out of these new expansions are many new sectors, possibly empty or procedurally generated, dangerous, stronger opponents, a more dynamic diplomacy system and property management (including NPC property and relationship management), and more ships.

What seems we are actually getting is a couple of story-driven scenarios that players will only play to unlock the ships they want by default. It sounds like a new intricated way of handling new content delivery that is as complex, long and eventually tedious as having to complete the same plot over and over to change diplomacy or find unique ships that players want to see all over the place with NPC using them as well. Basic game mechanics that should be there and easy to access and change by default but are instead delivered with complexity.

It does sounds like an interesting story driven DLC but I wouldn't say it's exactly what the community wants. It looks like good content but I wouldn't wishlist right away as I did for the Borons, to the point where the 7.0 content with new sectors, revamped ships and increased difficulty sounds more appealing to me, rather than the actual DLC.

Let's see.

Caldari Navy

Post by Caldari Navy » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 11:20

Hmm my feeling on this update is ...
This is exactly correct way hoe i dont feell need for mods specially battleships (missing part of game) and so on ... reallly looks amazing
I have just one hope ...it all will lbe part of main game and not just sequences in missions , what i mean by that , you dont have to unlock it by different gamestarts.. like borons start..
Yeah i know what you gonna say ... custom gamestart... but.

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 11:59

So, no new Khaaks? :cry:

Y-llian
x4

Post by Y-llian » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 13:44

I always look forward to X4 expansions/updates. I'm particularly interested in the end-game crisis (or maybe even multiple crises? ) - let the invasions begin! But, yes, like others have mentioned I too hope that we'll get more tools to truly "run" our faction - make policy decisions and real diplomatic options. Very much looking forward to the beta next year. Hopefully, "real" life won't interfere so I can play... err... I mean test. Honest good devs... I meant TEST! :oops: :wink:

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 13:50

Guys, we are NOT running out of factions.

There is still Aldrin and Goners.
Not to mention X4 placeholders of SCA, HAT and ALI that are badly in need of more ships.

Egosoft still has room for 2 or 3 DLC if they really want to.

magitsu
x4

Post by magitsu » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 14:16

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 21. Dec 23, 13:50
Egosoft still has room for 2 or 3 DLC if they really want to.
Yeah, there's plenty of options.
For example if this weirder one doesn't perform, there's always an option to do what players think they want: improve space combat. DLC could bring back M7Ms with a full missile / countermeasure / underway replenishment rework.

Let's see what kind of lore they build around this Timelines...

CulunTse
x4

Post by CulunTse » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 19:23

Colour me excited! :D

Contrary to many, I actually enjoyed Rebirth for its storytelling, so I am glad to see that come to X4 too.
Rebirth was always weak at the empire-building aspect of the X-series (a sensible decision, which gave Egosoft the time and experience to rebuild the engine), but X4 already deliveres "Empire" in spades. Strengthening the storytelling side will make X4 more well-rounded. :)
The storyline from Kingdom End got many positive feedback, so I am excited to see more in that direction!

I think having the story "scenarios" outside the normal sandbox (effectively separategamestart(s?) is a good decision.
that way it is not gated on progression in the main sandbox, and it won't feel as "forced" (do we really give Boso yet another universe-breaking superpower, after the teleporting, and Gate-code-decrypting?)

What I haven't seen mentioned here is the lore-connection to Ventures: if I recall correctly, Ventures are lore-explained as sending your ships through the multiverse "membrane" to other, parallel realities.
It would make sense to me that that same membrane-lore would fit thematically for going back to historical moments.

As for the "mysterious power" behind it all, my credits are on the Sohnen :D

xant
x4

Post by xant » Thu, 21. Dec 23, 20:06

CulunTse wrote:
Thu, 21. Dec 23, 19:23
Contrary to many, I actually enjoyed Rebirth for its storytelling, so I am glad to see that come to X4 too.
As one of the "many" you mention, I feel it necessary to point out that it's not the story focus that leaves me (I can only speak for myself) a bit reserved. In fact, I fully support a focus on story telling and enjoyed it with each expansion.

What I'm sceptical about is the disconnected nature of the new content. It takes place completely outside of our sandbox. Mind you, in a game that is all about the sandbox experience and carrying on the same save for half a decade. In that regard the game also goes back to old times, when we had to play a pre-defined protagonist. It made sense from a narrative standpoint, but it's a detriment to the sandbox.

I know, we can keep some of the unlocked ships for the sandbox, but for me that feels a bit off. Aside from a few (admittedly well-made) ships, there's nothing else in the paid update [for the sandbox game]. If you ask me what I want, I'd say more stuff for my sandbox, like proper sector management tools, expanding the economic side by adding new interesting sectors, with unique factions and their way of life, their own production methods (like Avarice had with scrap recycling and the Protectyon), having a story that maybe involves a strong competitor trying to beat us in logistics, and we them. Things like that. All that is precisely what - at least for now - seems not to be in X4T.

That's the source of the mild caution with "many".

Return to “X4: Foundations”