AMD FSR2/3 (or DLSS)?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Maebius

AMD FSR2/3 (or DLSS)?

Post by Maebius » Fri, 29. Sep 23, 19:25

Hello dear Devs.

I'd like to ask if there are any plans to jump up to AMD FSR2/3 or maybe also add Nvidia DLSS at this point?

When the game isn't CPU bound, it's a shame not to be able to enjoy it with even more detail (or with less GPU fan noise :D )

Cheers o/

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: AMD FSR2/3 (or DLSS)?

Post by CBJ » Fri, 29. Sep 23, 20:05

We've answered this a few times. See this post for an explanation of why it's not that easy for us to do.

Maebius

Post by Maebius » Fri, 29. Sep 23, 20:18

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 29. Sep 23, 20:05
We've answered this a few times. See this post for an explanation of why it's not that easy for us to do.
Hi CBJ, thanks for repying.
I've read that post. Just wondering if there was any update, hence my "at this point' statement.
I cannot even imagine what it would take in terms or time/resources.

Thanks again.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 29. Sep 23, 21:59

No update at the moment.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 1. Oct 23, 14:14

What about the new far3 bit where u dont upscale but get the txaa like aa without needing motion vectors part? Since u still not willing to do taa and motion vector stuff?

Its called Native Anti-Aliasing.

The new “Native AA” (Native Anti-Aliasing) quality mode applies high-quality anti-aliasing and sharpening without any upscaling for improved image quality over native resolution. There is a modest performance cost when using this new mode, but when combined with frame generation, “Native AA” mode can provide enhanced image quality and a boost in framerate.

frame gen is not a requirement either afaik.

I dont think u need to do motion vectors with it, should be less taxing than msaa and doesnt upscale, just makes a nicer aa as a option if ppl want it. I havent read anything where its a dx12 etc only thing either so probs fine on vulkan.

Some vid talking about it but not great source i admit. https://youtu.be/21HHFLk3o5Y?t=181

The code should be on gpu open in the future probs few months maybe unless u contact amd to work with em earlier. Hopefully u can pick that one feature out of fsr3 and allowed to use it standalone.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Caldari Navy

Post by Caldari Navy » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 10:29

Recently there was fanfest for one space mmo and devs was talking about interesting technology for cpu gpu bottleneck antialiasing etc etc . Rest is just for fans

I add link HOWEVER important for graphic design starts from 20 minutes to 45 minutes of video

I belive cound be interesting to compare whith x4 technology

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yPBu6NnJu ... bmZlc3Q%3D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 11:38

Skeeter wrote:
Sun, 1. Oct 23, 14:14
Since u still not willing to do taa and motion vector stuff?
Please stop trying to make it sound like we are resisting doing what you want for no apparent reason. Of course we'd like to do this, but a) we have to prioritise our use of resources, b) as I've explained to you before, things are not always as simple as the API designers make out, and c) everything has a cost, so for example it's possible that the overhead of calculating the necessary motion vector data might make it impractical in our case. I'm not saying specifically that it's one or other of these; I'm just pointing out that when something doesn't happen as quickly as you'd like, it's not always just a case of the developers being "unwilling" to do something.

Eyeklops
x4

Post by Eyeklops » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 15:44

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 2. Oct 23, 11:38
Skeeter wrote:
...it's possible that the overhead of calculating the necessary motion vector data might make it impractical in our case.
I've the same concern. CPU time on the main thread is extremely valuable (for X4 in particular) and if the motion vector calcs can't be pushed to a side thread it may be tough to call it a win. However, if it can be made to work without notable burden on the main thread, frame generation technology would be great to have on the map where latency isn't as large of a concern.

If I were to ask for anything it would be: better promotion and transparency on the state of the X4's development and bug fixing status. I'm not looking for Star Citizen levels of reporting here; I understand Egosoft doesn't have the 1200+ employee count that CIG does. A stickied thread acknowledging the top most recent 2~5 community "hot topics" in regard to bugs and features would go a long way here. Bonus points for telling us stuff like "investigating", "in development", etc..

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 23:28

Skeeter wrote:
What about the new far3 bit where u dont upscale but get the txaa like aa without needing motion vectors part? Since u still not willing to do taa and motion vector stuff?

It is basically running FSR3 without upscaling the resolution. As such it has the same technical requirements for full scene motion vectors as FSR3.

Obviously intended to compete with DLSS AA which achieves something similar but likely better until AMD starts using deep learning AI techniques.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Mon, 2. Oct 23, 23:51

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 2. Oct 23, 23:28
Skeeter wrote:

It is basically running FSR3 without upscaling the resolution. As such it has the same technical requirements for full scene motion vectors as FSR3.

Obviously intended to compete with DLSS AA which achieves something similar but likely better until AMD starts using deep learning AI techniques.

Misinformation, it doesnt need motion vectors for native aa only bit. Please research it more.

@cbj sry i coulda phrased it better.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

THX11388888
x4

Post by THX11388888 » Tue, 3. Oct 23, 14:45

CBJ wrote:
Mon, 2. Oct 23, 11:38
Skeeter wrote:
Please stop trying to make it sound like we are resisting doing what you want for no apparent reason. Of course we'd like to do this, but a) we have to prioritise our use of resources, b) as I've explained to you before, things are not always as simple as the API designers make out, and c) everything has a cost, so for example it's possible that the overhead of calculating the necessary motiion vector data might make it impractical in our case. I'm not saying specifically that it's one or other of these; I'm just pointing out that when something doesn't happen as quickly as you'd like, it's not always just a case of the developers being "unwilling" to do something.
Venture was real waste of investment.You don't have a content iteration update team,also no work for expansion civilization of the universe.Just different names and different skin.Compared to Europa Universalis, Venture are just like a 30 yearsold's baby

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 3. Oct 23, 21:29

Skeeter wrote:
Mon, 2. Oct 23, 23:51
Misinformation, it doesnt need motion vectors for native aa only bit. Please research it more.
I can only go by what information is posted online as currently FSR3.0 does not seem publicly available for developers. Based on the documentation posted by AMD saying that FSR3 is easy to implement only if FRS2 is already supported then I have to draw the conclusion that Native AA is nothing more than temporal AA with a better filter. Temporal AA already needs full scene motion vectors to work properly and prevent smear/blur, so again my conclusion makes a lot of sense.

Once FSR 3.0 and the Native AA implementation are in public domain I can check the actual, non marketing, implementation details.

If it does not need motion vectors then it is nothing more than one of the many AA filters Nvidia developed over 10 years ago that made their way into games like Diablo III and StarCraft II. Hardly cutting edge, especially without deep learning.
THX11388888 wrote:
Tue, 3. Oct 23, 14:45
Venture was real waste of investment.You don't have a content iteration update team,also no work for expansion civilization of the universe.Just different names and different skin.Compared to Europa Universalis, Venture are just like a 30 yearsold's baby
They are likely working on more than just the ventures.

Yggdrasill88
x4

Post by Yggdrasill88 » Fri, 15. Dec 23, 13:57

With a seasonal frame of mind, in one fluid motion we’ve generated the AMD FSR 3 GitHub source code repo for gamedevs everywhere!

https://gpuopen.com/fsr3-source-available/

Please :D

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 15. Dec 23, 17:44

Yggdrasill88 wrote:
Fri, 15. Dec 23, 13:57
Please
From AMD...
If a game already supports FSR 2 then replace it with FSR 3 for the simpler upgrade path.
If a game does not already support FSR 2 then integrate FSR 3 directly.
Also the current source code given is for D3D12 and so not compatible with X4. The Vulkan port of the code is still in development.

Yggdrasill88
x4

Post by Yggdrasill88 » Thu, 21. Mar 24, 20:05

Support for Vulkan is getting closer with FSR 3.1:

https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming/amd ... ad-message

Vulkan® and Xbox Game Development Kit (GDK) support.
AMD FSR 3.1 will be available for developers on GPUOpen in Q2 and will be coming to games later this year.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 21. Mar 24, 20:11

Noice - so next year there is a chance we get FSR 3* =)

*...if FSR 3 doesn't have the same hurdle FSR 2 which prevented it from being implemented in X4 that is...

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Fri, 22. Mar 24, 02:24

chew-ie wrote:
Thu, 21. Mar 24, 20:11
*...if FSR 3 doesn't have the same hurdle FSR 2 which prevented it from being implemented in X4 that is...
Same requirements, so unfortunately the situation will be the same.

Return to “X4: Foundations”