Do stations drift (suddenly getting stuck in everything)?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

user1679

Do stations drift (suddenly getting stuck in everything)?

Post by user1679 » Mon, 29. May 23, 04:25

I have a modded save with about 7 hours game time. Everything was fine with a few random glitches but ever since I trained my pilot to 4 stars using seminars, she's been getting stuck in everything. She's flying an Eclipse Vanguard with all Argon equipment but she can't dock at Argon Wharf without getting stuck inside the station, trying to undock she rams into the wall and goes inside the station getting stuck. Trying to dock on a L ship she gets stuck inside the landing pad, undocking too. Often she gets stuck on the corner of gates when attempting to jump.

It makes no sense, this is the same pilot I've had since the start of the playthrough. Supposedly more stars = better pilot but in my case it's oppsite. Do stations and gates drift so the pathing is affected? I don't use any mods that increase the univers size or move objects around. I only use two mods that add ships SVE, XR Ship Pack and FOCW + FOCW Corporations which allows more stations to be built.

I don't have teleport so jumping OOS is not always an option. Autopilot sometimes works but can take up to 20 IRL minutes. As mentioned, this just started happening despite me having this same pilot and ship for several hours. Just now she flew into Argon Prime from Hatikvah's Choice I on a "Dock and wait" command and rammed straight into the side of the Wharf, getting stuck. I didn't even hear the engine throttle down.

My fps seems stable at about 40 (busy sector right now) but could this be a lag issue? If she's ramming the station before dropping out of travel drive, it seems like there's some disconnect between where she thinks she is vs where she actually is.

Zloth2
x4

Re: Do stations drift (suddenly getting stuck in everything)?

Post by Zloth2 » Mon, 29. May 23, 05:06

Stations definitely don't drift. I've got no idea why your pilot is suddenly having issues, but adding stars shouldn't affect how landings are done. Not coming out of travel drive is strange, too.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 29. May 23, 10:25

There was actually an issue once where ships thought they were in 2 places at once while near docks, but that was fixed a while ago. Link. Of course whatever that was, and whatever the fix for it was, we now have totally different in-game physics using Jolt.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Mon, 29. May 23, 20:25

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 29. May 23, 10:25
There was actually an issue once where ships thought they were in 2 places at once while near docks, but that was fixed a while ago. Link. Of course whatever that was, and whatever the fix for it was, we now have totally different in-game physics using Jolt.
Interesting, that link you posted is similar to what's happening to me. I had the map open and suddenly everything stopped moving, none of the ship icons were updating their position. I closed the map and could still interact with everything / everyone but the map was completely still and even a few of my ships had stopped executing their orders (I had a ship with a "dock and wait" order, she was floating about 5km away from the pad with "0 km/s" listed as speed. I watched for about 2 minutes and then suddenly everything jumped forward. This glitch seems to happen randomly after I've been playing for more than an hour or so at a time, it clears if I completely exit the game and restart.

The whole thing reminds me of the rubberbanding I would sometimes see in online games when my connection was slow.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 29. May 23, 20:31

That sounds a lot more like game corruption or some memory getting tight and flushing old stuff and maybe pagefile/swapfile before continuing. Maybe verify your game installation, and if that doesn't help then post in Tech Sp (if vanilla) and include links to a DxDiag, Vulkaninfo and maybe a save.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

user1679

Post by user1679 » Mon, 29. May 23, 22:07

Alan Phipps wrote:
Mon, 29. May 23, 20:31
That sounds a lot more like game corruption or some memory getting tight and flushing old stuff and maybe pagefile/swapfile before continuing. Maybe verify your game installation, and if that doesn't help then post in Tech Sp (if vanilla) and include links to a DxDiag, Vulkaninfo and maybe a save.
Earlier today I had an issue where the whole game just locked up. According to task manager:

The box doesn't allow expanding but there are about 30 threads with child threads causing this "wait" status. I had just killed a Kha'ak ship and opened the map to select a ship for collecting the drops. and the game froze. The only thing I could do was to terminate the program in task manager so there's no actual crash dump. Strange thing is task manager had automatically changed the priority from above normal (I launch it with a BAT file to set priority) to "background".

Memory isn't tight, resource monitor indicates I still have 14 GiB free.

Return to “X4: Foundations”