[REQUEST] XL sized station building modules to aid performance

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Halpog
x4

Re: [REQUEST] XL sized station building modules to aid performance

Post by Halpog » Sun, 28. May 23, 19:50

jlehtone wrote:
Sat, 27. May 23, 21:39
An XL module with 5 mil capacity could have less, same, or more size than 5 L modules.

If the size is less, then you can fit more capacity into the 8000 km³ of plot than with L modules.
If the size is same, then XL is equivalent to 5 L and you get all the benefits of "less modules".
If the size is more, then you most likely still get the benefit of "less modules".

You could also multiply the (storage, habitat) capacities of existing modules by ten and thus reduce the need to build as much as you have built so far.
yes, but than the game turns into modiefied.. there is a mod that uses the actual module modells for storage andhabbitat, and just multi the numbers of habbitats it can hold, or storage it can have

but a modified game is not the goal here :P

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Sun, 28. May 23, 20:05

Scoob wrote:
Sun, 28. May 23, 01:25
Nanook wrote:
Fri, 26. May 23, 19:05
First off, habitats, i.e. workforces, only require food rations and medical supplies. Food rations require wheat, meat, spices and energy cells, not water. Medical supplies require wheat, meat, spices and water. So I would suggest the only thing not needed in these two recipes may be spices, although your meatsteak cahoona burger would be a bit bland without them. :wink:

In retrospect, the only change I would make is to rename 'food rations' to 'meatsteak cahoonas' as they were called in all the previous games. Why they went with the boring name 'food rations' I'll never understand. All the other races seem to have retained their colorful food names. :roll:
Wheat needs water, both Medical Supplies and Food Rations need Wheat = Food Rations need water.

I do generally build a Food and Meds station to (ultimately) keep the workforces of my stations fed. In some economies, you can make decent profits selling to other Factions (that consume the same foodstuff), often the local economies produce ample Food and Meds. I manufacture my own, just to ensure I get a consistent supply. When relying on local supplies, a late delivery can lead to a mass evacuation of Workforce. With large number leaving multiple times during one shift, not just when the "next shift" counter hits zero. With my own supply, this is far less likely to happen.

I do wonder if advanced "combi-modules" could be a thing. More advanced (expensive, rep requirement) but produce several related items - Food and Meds being a good combo, as they're always consumed together. How about things like a combi Ore and Silicon processor. Could have two, alternating production lines (like the scrap stuff) but works much faster. Personally speaking, even pretty darn huge stations (think providing the UNIVERSE'S Hull Parts lol) have performed pretty well for me, and that was on my prior rig. Not noticed any performance impact from such stations unless I'm looking at them / actually on them.

Here's the thing though, with any sort of better module, that doesn't really help with early builds that use the basic modules, unless there's a direct "upgrade" option. We already have "upgrades" to production via workforce, what other ways might a station's output be increased, without additional modules? Perhaps some new research that can increase the output of certain modules by a set percent or something like that? Basically, so an early-game build doesn't have to have modules replaced to be better, but rather just upgraded. However, having my stations be significantly more productive than any other Factions sorta upsets the balance for me.
the combination of " wares" u mention, is indeed a tricky one. on one side u can have like u say combinations of wares and lets say put 2 factorys into 1 ( ore and silicon ) and ont he other side u could also "have or generate " a total new economy with it.for example : atm we have a module for adv. electronics ...adv electronics could produce : microchips, smart chips,plasma emitter. and so on .. OR ADV electronics have all that as a ressource ...other than that, i see only 2 or 3 combinations that can or could spare a module in case about performance... thats ressources ... a logical way would be :
1 module for ore,silicon , nividium and call it like noe metall ....
1 module for ice, hydrogen = water ...
1 module for methan .helium = gas ....
if u mix this 3 modules u have to mix the products according to this modules also ..meaning.. graphene, suprafluid, metall, and so on..
u basicaly have to complety reroute the first and 2nd produktion chain to be able to spare some modules.
and i think this trouble stress and work would be by far to much, compared to the fact u can just tke a storage module ( as example ) and edit the number that it can have as storage.. from 1 million to 8 million .. to save up to 7 storage modules

Agrefits
x4

Post by Agrefits » Sun, 28. May 23, 22:49

Am i the only one wondering what ppl are doing with those monsterous builds? .. I've got like 10 Stations spread around in the universe, each of them with probably 4 to max 10 production modules, and while i'm not able to terraform a planet in a day, i've already grown a fleet and a budget that i could wipe any Faction if i wanted.

Not neccesary if you ask me .. or at least for my playstyle i guess

Imho at a certain point no matter how "big" your storage is, if you reach the maximum storage capacity you either fill them up too quick (process the material to slowly), or oversaturated the market already. ( cant sell it off anyways ) .. both ways, adding more storage space does not seem to be a long time solution.
Last edited by Agrefits on Mon, 29. May 23, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Mon, 29. May 23, 09:35

Nanook wrote:
Sun, 28. May 23, 07:20
Scoob wrote:
Nanook wrote:
Fri, 26. May 23, 19:05
First off, habitats, i.e. workforces, only require food rations and medical supplies. Food rations require wheat, meat, spices and energy cells, not water. Medical supplies require wheat, meat, spices and water. So I would suggest the only thing not needed in these two recipes may be spices, although your meatsteak cahoona burger would be a bit bland without them. :wink:

In retrospect, the only change I would make is to rename 'food rations' to 'meatsteak cahoonas' as they were called in all the previous games. Why they went with the boring name 'food rations' I'll never understand. All the other races seem to have retained their colorful food names. :roll:
Wheat needs water, both Medical Supplies and Food Rations need Wheat = Food Rations need water....
Yes, but the statement was made that Habitats needed water, and that is incorrect. Food rations can be produced elsewhere and then imported to the station needing them. Or you can simply buy them from the NPC's, negating the need to produce water at all. Same for medical supplies.
so u gonna tell me, that when u place a habbitat..u dont need water ? is it me or iam playing a different game ? in my game at least... i need water in the production chain to support a habbitat ...that includes wheat water,spice, medical supplys

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 29. May 23, 10:15

Halpog wrote:
Mon, 29. May 23, 09:35
Nanook wrote:
Sun, 28. May 23, 07:20
Scoob wrote:

Wheat needs water, both Medical Supplies and Food Rations need Wheat = Food Rations need water....
Yes, but the statement was made that Habitats needed water, and that is incorrect. Food rations can be produced elsewhere and then imported to the station needing them. Or you can simply buy them from the NPC's, negating the need to produce water at all. Same for medical supplies.
so u gonna tell me, that when u place a habbitat..u dont need water ? is it me or iam playing a different game ? in my game at least... i need water in the production chain to support a habbitat ...that includes wheat water,spice, medical supplys
:roll: Did you not even read what I said? I did NOT say you didn't need water to make food rations. What I said was that the Habitat did not directly need water to functioin. There's a big difference between the two, since you do not need to produce water to make a habitat work. All you need to do is import food and medicine.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 21:41

Depends on how you look at it.

Add a habitat to a station. What resource needs did change? Food and meds.
Add a habitat to a station that has (sufficient) food and meds production.What resource needs did change? None.
If you do consider indirect needs too, then habitats still do not need water. It is Ice Miners that "they" do need.
But yes, water is somewhere between Ice Miners and none.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

msgerbs
x4

Post by msgerbs » Thu, 1. Jun 23, 21:56

Agrefits wrote:
Sun, 28. May 23, 22:49
Imho at a certain point no matter how "big" your storage is, if you reach the maximum storage capacity you either fill them up too quick (process the material to slowly), or oversaturated the market already. ( cant sell it off anyways ) .. both ways, adding more storage space does not seem to be a long time solution.
I think the storage was just an example. Overall the point is to be able to condense stations into fewer modules for performance reasons.

I personally have just 5 stations plus the HQ with max 5 production modules each plus the supporting modules for them, and Heretic's End already chugs as low as 15 FPS when near the HQ. You don't need a megastructure for this to be desirable.

Return to “X4: Foundations”