I do like Custom mode.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Socratatus
x4

I do like Custom mode.

Post by Socratatus » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 22:49

I like playing primarily in custom mode. I don't cheat it. I go for the budget mode and stick with the 10000 and the repair laser like in the default game. I mainly like how it lets me choose a character that most represents how I look. But it's also nice to just start somewhere else rather than the default.

So this time I chose a Terran start, closer to good old Earth and also added a random seed number. Now I have no idea what the random seed numbers really do, so I just added in a random rush of letters/numbers.

Started in my one ship. No stations, lots of pink-icon ships doing mining. Saturn I believe it was.

So I explored a bit and found a jumpgate and went to the next area which was Neptune. More pink stations. But I saw one needed work sealing up some sabotaged spots on it. So I got out in my trusty spacesuit and went around sealing up the leaks (I do so enjoy space walking!)...

Job done. I get my money, not much, but it's a start.
Ok, so can I dock to rest and maybe find co-pilot, Station?

Station, "No. Denied!"

But I just fixed your repairs!

"Don't care! We don''t trust you just cos you repaired a few leaks. You got ya money. Bugger off!"

lol.

So off I go trying to find somewhere which is BLUE to land and hoping nothing bad happens meanwhile. Space is lonely.

Good work, Devs. Enjoying it.

p.s. what exactly does that random seed do? And what inputs actually does anything? All numbers? All letters? Both? Symbols?
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: I do like Custom mode.

Post by CBJ » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 23:10

Socratatus wrote:
Thu, 30. Mar 23, 22:49
p.s. what exactly does that random seed do? And what inputs actually does anything? All numbers? All letters? Both? Symbols?
It's the random number seed that determines some of the initial game setup, such as the positions of stations. If you start two new games with the same seed (and with other parameters the same too) then you can expect your game universe in those games to look pretty similar to start with. They will diverge quite quickly, however, as the seed doesn't affect what happens after the game has started, and what you do would disrupt that even if it did.

It accepts a number, which it uses directly. For convenience, for sharing seeds, it will also accept any text value too, but that gets converted to a number for actual use.

Socratatus
x4

Re: I do like Custom mode.

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 31. Mar 23, 00:56

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 30. Mar 23, 23:10
Socratatus wrote:
Thu, 30. Mar 23, 22:49
It's the random number seed that determines some of the initial game setup, such as the positions of stations. If you start two new games with the same seed (and with other parameters the same too) then you can expect your game universe in those games to look pretty similar to start with. They will diverge quite quickly, however, as the seed doesn't affect what happens after the game has started, and what you do would disrupt that even if it did.

It accepts a number, which it uses directly. For convenience, for sharing seeds, it will also accept any text value too, but that gets converted to a number for actual use.
Thankyou. I love RNG stuff like this.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Return to “X4: Foundations”