Shipyard deadlock?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Shipyard deadlock?

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 10:49

I've managed to get my shipyard in a bit of a pickle, and would welcome advice on how to unblock it.

* I have an S/M/L shipyard in Nopilieos Fortune II.
* I had all blueprints for all PAR / HOP / ARG / TEL S and M ships, and all their blueprints.
* I have four Demeters to supply it.
* I have a bunch of infrastructure to support it with engine parts / hull parts / turret components etc al.
* I have trading stations in Second Contact Flashpoint II and Pious Mists II, both with ten supporting Demeters.
* It was set to Universal for building.
* All races were allowed to trade with it.

* Then I started building infrastructure out in Terran space, with a view to building a second shipyard in eg Asteroid Belt to be able, eventually, to produce Asgards.
* I queued up 3* Crane Ore and Gas Miners for production at my shipyard in Nop II (this was a mistake,I should have done one at a time.
* Then I bought all Terran S/M blueprints, along with blueprints for all Terran equipment.I have now restricted the shipyard in Nop II from producing ships for other races.
* But the shipyard is still expecting hundreds of thousands of Terran materials eg silicon carbide, computronic substrates and metalic microlatice. Which I can't produce yet.
* And the six L miners aren't being constructed even though there are tonnes of regular Commonwealth materials available in storage.
* And I can't cancel them.

How do I either get those six L miners constructed, or cancel them?
How do I prevent this from happening again?

I guess the good thing, long term, is that I probably don't have to build another shipyard. At some point I'll be able to build Asgards in Nop II. But until I get this mess sorted out it's all a bit kludged up.
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

RegisterMe
x4

Re: Shipyard deadlock?

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 11:52

I wonder did I design those Cranes with Terran components?

EDIT: Which still doesn't explain why I can't cancel the builds.
I can't breathe.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 12:42

If you went for 'high spec', the ships would default to Terran Shields, and they need a bucketload of Substrates, silicates and the other terran tech to produce. - I just wonder how much storage your shipyard has. - I have 15 million container space in mine, and that's barely enough. *ALSO* in my game, terran tech products are so rare I had to build my own factories.

What does your logical view say for each of the Terran techs as regards incoming resources?

Also, I have around forty M class trade ships, and many L class, supplying my shipyard.

No idea on the cancel issue. Sounds like a bug.
“Man, my poor head is battered,” Ed said.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“I…” Had she just called him fat? “I am just a different species, that’s all.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 12:47

I've only got 2 million storage space at the moment (it's still fairly nacent). And yeah, I don't have enough Terran wares. The particular shortage currently is computronic substrates but I have some of that starting to come in now.

And when I get those bloody miners built they'll feed a fab that produces... Terran wares...

I think this might be the problem. So hopefully I can get it sorted. Still odd that I can't cancel the ship orders even though they're "green" / not partly built.
I can't breathe.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 12:52

And at last, one of those miners has started building!

So yeah, a shortage of Terran components I needed because of ship design choices I'd unwittingly made just by going for a high preset.
I can't breathe.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:14

RegisterMe wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 12:47

And when I get those bloody miners built they'll feed a fab that produces... Terran wares...

Computronic Substrate production requires unbelievable quantities of mined resources (mainly mineral) and however many L class miners you think you need, will likely be multiplied by eight or ten in reality. - Six substrate modules have around 40 L class miners in my game just to tread water.

I ended up creating a loadout using Teladi shields as I simply could not get enough Terran wares, even though I had a large Terran factory in the neighbouring sector to my shipyard. - I save Terran wares for Asgard production.

“That explains its unusual shape,” Styanar said, grinning openly now. “Although it does little to illuminate just why your jowls are so flaccid or why you have quite so many chins.”

“Well nature sure does have a sense of humour then,” Styanar said. “Shall we go inside? It’d not be a good idea for me to be spotted by others.”

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:16

I guess I can minimise Terran ware "spend" by preventing the Terrans / Segaris from buying ships from my shipyard?
I can't breathe.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:30

I have two shipyards. One is for personal use only, and the other for, well, at the minute, the Split. Thing is, if I let other races have access, I'm forever out of one resource or other (usually weapon/engine components) and any ship I want for myself may be an hour down the line, and that may mean waiting two gaming sessions before it gets churned out, by which point I've likely forgotten what I wanted it for... :(

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:55

I'm not operating at quite the same scale as you yet :).
Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:30
by which point I've likely forgotten what I wanted it for... :(
We're getting old, aren't we :/.
I can't breathe.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 17:13

Ha, yeah, the technical term is advanced Methuseloiditis, apparently.

Two extreme cases... :skull:

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 17:49

@RegisterMe

To feed the ship request of a single Commonwealth fraction I had to create a production of 100000 hull parts per hour and a consequent proportion of resources (38000 engine parts, 33000 weapon parts).

This translates into a 64x hull/engine/weapon module. Take these numbers into consideration to better build your construction site ;)
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 10:25

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=- wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 17:49
@RegisterMe

To feed the ship request of a single Commonwealth fraction I had to create a production of 100000 hull parts per hour and a consequent proportion of resources (38000 engine parts, 33000 weapon parts).

This translates into a 64x hull/engine/weapon module. Take these numbers into consideration to better build your construction site ;)
Ermm, I doubt, very much, I have the patience to build that kind of infrastructure :).
I can't breathe.

blackphoenixx

Post by blackphoenixx » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 12:39

Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:14
Computronic Substrate production requires unbelievable quantities of mined resources (mainly mineral) and however many L class miners you think you need, will likely be multiplied by eight or ten in reality. - Six substrate modules have around 40 L class miners in my game just to tread water.
You should optimize your miners better.

You can supply a computronic substrate module with a single mineral L miner, assuming it's a Chthonios Sentinel with a 5-star pilot/crew and green mods mining in the same sector and with a decent yield.
Two should definitely be enough even under less optimal conditions/models and unmodded (unless they're Hokkaidos because those suck, but even then you'd only need three).

Needing 6+ L miners for a single CS module means that either your pilots are terrible, your miners travel too far or your mining region is depleted or very low yield. Or maybe you're just not using enough mining drones. Either way something isn't working right for you to need that many.
RegisterMe wrote:
Thu, 30. Mar 23, 10:25
-=SiR KiLLaLoT=- wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 17:49
@RegisterMe

Ermm, I doubt, very much, I have the patience to build that kind of infrastructure :).
You don't need a shipyard capable of non-stop production to have a shipyard that's useful.
The more resources (or complete ships) you supply the more ships the AI will build, get destroyed and rebuild, but you don't have to push it to the limit unless you want to.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 12:59

blackphoenixx wrote:
Thu, 30. Mar 23, 12:39
You don't need a shipyard capable of non-stop production to have a shipyard that's useful.
The more resources (or complete ships) you supply the more ships the AI will build, get destroyed and rebuild, but you don't have to push it to the limit unless you want to.
Yes, that's the approach I've taken to date. My shipyard is almost continually producing S and M ships for the factions, and also usefully contributes to my own requirements as and when needed. I'll build up more supporting infrastructure as and when I can but my current aim is to get the last blueprints for an Asgard and then build my first one.

Then I lock down Getsu Fune.

Then I rescue the Split.

EDIT: Then I think about the various plot lines open to me.
I can't breathe.

Gavrushka
x4

Post by Gavrushka » Thu, 30. Mar 23, 13:49

blackphoenixx wrote:
Thu, 30. Mar 23, 12:39
Gavrushka wrote:
Tue, 28. Mar 23, 13:14
You should optimize your miners better.

You can supply a computronic substrate module with a single mineral L miner, assuming it's a Chthonios Sentinel with a 5-star pilot/crew and green mods mining in the same sector and with a decent yield.
Two should definitely be enough even under less optimal conditions/models and unmodded (unless they're Hokkaidos because those suck, but even then you'd only need three).

Needing 6+ L miners for a single CS module means that either your pilots are terrible, your miners travel too far or your mining region is depleted or very low yield. Or maybe you're just not using enough mining drones. Either way something isn't working right for you to need that many.
As has often been pointed out to me, I don't play an optimal game, nor do I pay much attention to where resources are, other than to make sure they're in range. I'm old and slow, and take great comfort in old and slow miners wandering where they will. My miners are 2*, have plenty of mining drones, but they just take after their boss, I guess. :(

Return to “X4: Foundations”