Why can you still not color your ships after 5+ years?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Caedes91
x4

Why can you still not color your ships after 5+ years?

Post by Caedes91 » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 21:56

Something so simple still can't be done.

Why do they have to be consumables, that you have to apply to each ship individually? The game is already enough of a clickfest.

Makes total sense of course:
Build space cities with deady state-of-the art weaponry, teleport living beings precisely throughout the galaxy, but telling your workers to take the brush and spraycan to paint the ships...Nope
Instead farm boring and tedious guild missions.

Not to mention, that they can't be obtained for more than 2 years now. Having to farm them in Ventures in the first place was questionable. Same with exceptional modparts.
Almost seems like these things were intended as microtransactions, but then you decided to back off. Even if you restore online storage, this doesn't help people who started playing after 4.0

Just give us the ability to color ships directly in the build menu of shipyards and save them to the loadouts. In the ship buying menu, you already have to bother checking subsystems that are mandatory anyway without alternatives. Example: flight assist software and long range scanner.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Why can you still not color your ships after 5+ years?

Post by CBJ » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 01:34

Caedes91 wrote:
Sat, 25. Mar 23, 21:56
...they can't be obtained for more than 2 years now.
This is untrue. You have been able to access paint mods in your online inventory since 5.10 HF3 was released, in June of last year.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 12:14

and you can set a default paint scheme for all of your ships to have a certain basic color layout so all of your ships can have a certain look.

and if you use mods, there are mods that add paint jobs to your default paint scheme list.

Waltz9

Post by Waltz9 » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 12:54

I personally don't like the current paint mod system.
In this game you get hundreds of ships and if you obtain a paint mod you can only use it for a limited amount of times depending on how much you have.
with these rules you need to manually set all of the ships you want to chance.

I would love it if you get ways to get new default paint mods which you can use unlimited times without getting a modified game.
This way you can give your faction a certain way of look.

im satisified with a black default mod also :p not the foundation blue that make a lot of ships dark :P .

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 13:52

The very fact that paint mods are divided into basic, rare and expectional reeks of like a dirty foot in the door for microtransactions.

When that day come, Egosoft will loose me as a customer and it won't matter if "it's just optional bro, trust me bro".

If I'd wanted online feaures, I wouldn't be playing X-games, but Star Citizen or trash mobile games.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 13:55

I'd hope to see the paint system expanded in future with effectively full freedom, even decals that can be added, but I can also accept that will be something for the next game.

Add it to the list Egosoft :D

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 14:27

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 01:34
Caedes91 wrote:
...they can't be obtained for more than 2 years now.
This is untrue. You have been able to access paint mods in your online inventory since 5.10 HF3 was released, in June of last year.
Ide just like to point out that OP is correct, we cant obtain them anymore, while we can now access the limited selection of paintmods if you earned them when ventures were working you can still not obtain more of them. We can earn other paintmods from missions yes but not the ones from ventures.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 14:29

No, if you read the context, they were referring to the paint mods they had already obtained. They then went on to talk about obtaining new ones.
Caedes91 wrote:
Even if you restore online storage...
This statement was what made it clear that they believed they could not access their existing paint mods. It was restored last year.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 14:38

CBJ wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 14:29
No, if you read the context, they were referring to the paint mods they had already obtained. They then went on to talk about obtaining new ones.
Caedes91 wrote:
Even if you restore online storage...
This statement was what made it clear that they believed they could not access their existing paint mods. It was restored last year.
Re-read op several times and I can see now that op was saying that, but they also raise the further question with "this doesn't help people who started playing after 4.0" after the part you quote. So they are saying both things? In any case, ide agree with op that we have a problem and hope that the system is expanded (even if it involves 'EC' I dont mind, would prefer not but understand egosoft has to make money).

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 17:38

Caedes91 wrote:
[Insert Entire Post Here]
If not being able to paint your ships truly bothers you that much, then I know of a way to obtain every single paint mod at once and in effectively infinite amounts. :) (Are you really going to go through the trouble of applying a single paint mod 10,000 times? :gruebel: ) But beware…

Great power often requires great sacrifice… (Starting a new game) :twisted:

If you are not discouraged, and still seek the power of the paint mod, then proceed…
(viewtopic.php?f=146&t=444882#p5109920)

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 18:14

Yeah OP just wants a color change overlay over existing default instead of paintmods, which i wouldnt mind, if say i could alter the hue of it then set default for fleet would be nice.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Tranxalive
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tranxalive » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 18:50

Skeeter wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 18:14
Yeah OP just wants a color change overlay over existing default instead of paintmods, which i wouldnt mind, if say i could alter the hue of it then set default for fleet would be nice.
Yeah, I do agree and want that feature, but that would defeat the point of the paintmods. Perhaps maybe all the textures would be the unlockable stuff. :gruebel:

flywlyx
x4

Post by flywlyx » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 20:59

Tranxalive wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 18:50
Yeah, I do agree and want that feature, but that would defeat the point of the paintmods. Perhaps maybe all the textures would be the unlockable stuff. :gruebel:
Paint mod could provide patterns that color is applied on.
Like different stripes, stars, circles, etc.

Return to “X4: Foundations”