X4 Improvement Updating my System

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Maxila
x4

X4 Improvement Updating my System

Post by Maxila » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 21:43

Before I recently upgraded my computer I asked on these boards if there was anyone with a similar old and new setup, who also had a very large empire that could let me know how much performance improvement I might expect. I should note that newer less mature games ran fine on my older system. Only the very mature/large games had slow down issues.

Now that I upgraded, I wanted to report back. I didn’t do FPS testing but I can give a general idea of the difference. Please know, I have not upgraded my monitor yet (still deciding) so right now my new video card is way overmatched for my current monitor.

Old System:
Intel 6700K
32GB Ram
1TB SATA SSD
1080 GTX running at 1920 x 1080 - 144hz refresh

New System:
Intel 13900K
64GB DDR5 @ 6200
4TB PCIe 4.4 M.2 2280 SSD (WD_Black SN850X)
RTX 4090 at 1920 x 1080 144hz refresh

Just to give a basic idea of my empire size:

Station Modules built: 34,357 (many are in a few mega stations)
Ships Owned: 1,140
Net worth approx. 650 billion

The main areas of slow down on the old system were, game loading and low single digit fps in the few sectors I had mega stations. Due to the mega stations those zones also had way more ship traffic, trading, and factions fighting each other. The game still ran ok in less congested zones.

The game load times have improved by at least 400% it’s night and day; by far this is the biggest performance gain I saw moving to the new system. The fps in the mega complex zones are still a little choppy but they are now playable with that bit of chop, just not super smooth. They were unplayable for the old setup.

I monitored the CPU and GPU temperature’s as I entered the mega complex systems and that information supported that CPU is the primary bottleneck for me. I had every graphic setting at max now including SSA AA and the GPU temperature barely moved from 42c to 44c, while the CPU would go up to the almost 80c from about 36c.

While not ideal, all in all I’m happy to say the improvement was significant and better than I expected. I can now fly in all zones and fight in the mega complex sectors if I’m willing to put up with a littler stutter.
Last edited by Maxila on Sun, 26. Mar 23, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.

Buzz2005
x4

Re: X4 Improvement Updating my System

Post by Buzz2005 » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 22:06

with a new monitor, probably 1440p? you will not see any less fps bc that gpu is way overmatched for x4 :D
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

Return to “X4: Foundations”