X4 exe Command line switches

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alt3rn1ty
x4

X4 exe Command line switches

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 16:13

Does anyone have a list of the X4.exe valid command line switches? (and what they do).

I searched the Wiki and the forum but could not find anything.
I have seen a few posts around the forum where people are using things like X4.exe -showfps -skipintro -nosoundthrottle -nocputhrottle .. but no list anywhere detailling them as valid or their function. Some are obvious what they do, but it would be nice to have an official explanation of them all, and if there is anything to be wary of when using them.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X4 exe Command line switches

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 16:25

The ones from X Rebirth should probably work in X4 (to be confirmed).

CBJ made a statement on some others here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Post by alt3rn1ty » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 16:33

Thanks Allan, I never got into Rebirth (well I did enough to find out it wasn't for me) so didn't know about those.
I have also seen a few posts around using switches CBJ mention do not work, they must be getting a feed of crap from redditors or somewhere similar.

Thank you :)
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Katorone
x3tc

Post by Katorone » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 22:29

With "nosoundthrottle" X4 will continue making noise while in the background. Though for this to work on my system, I have to set X4 to (borderless) window mode. Both "nosoundthrottle" and "nocputhrottle" do not seem to work when running X4 in fullscreen and tabbing out. (I verified this by checking the game time, tabbing out and back in after a couple of minutes. No time had passed in the game.)

Edit: While testing and encountering crashes, these flags can be used as well:
-debug all
-logfile log_filename.txt
-scriptlogfile scriptlog_filename.txt

Since they cause IO, I wouldn't suggest using them unless requested by the devs.
I'm not sure what the other options of the "-debug" flag are.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 15:40

I have my launch options as "-skipintro -nosoundthrottle -nocputhrottle"

Does what I want it to do. Looking over the other command line options, there is nothing that really stands out as a must have feature. I can get the in-game fps by simply pressing a key in-game (mine is "o", not sure if it is the default key or something I personally set a long time ago).

Return to “X4: Foundations”