[REQUEST] @Egosoft - Start making games Specifications relevant to Laptops

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

alt3rn1ty
x4

[REQUEST] @Egosoft - Start making games Specifications relevant to Laptops

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 22:02

Moore's Law : Quote from here https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/mooreslaw.asp
Moore's Law's Impending End
Experts agree that computers should reach the physical limits of Moore's Law at some point in the 2020s.
The high temperatures of transistors eventually would make it impossible to create smaller circuits. This is because cooling down the transistors takes more energy than the amount of energy that already passes through the transistors.

In a 2005 interview, Moore himself admitted that "...the fact that materials are made of atoms is the fundamental limitation and it's not that far away...We're pushing up against some fairly fundamental limits so one of these days we're going to have to stop making things smaller."
I currently play and beta test X4 with the laptop specification in my signature, its mostly good, flying around sectors I'm at the 60 FPS Cap I have set constantly, if I am on a station with the map open I can expect a range between 24-35 FPS, and if I am dog fighting in a battle I can expect about the same.

Which is ok, and I dream of one day buying a laptop that can handle everything this game has to give at a constant 60 FPS.

One day though that dream in a future version of the X series will not be possible, due to Moore's law and technology unable to advance in speed / capability anymore.

I hate desktops, they are such an inconvenient lump which has to be positioned in the most practicable place in the household, and they take so much electricity these days with the ridiculous energy pricing they are a serious drain.

Knowing that one day whatever minimum / recommended specification range Egosoft gives will be for desktops with the latest technology, laptops will at that stage be left behind, because ten years hence we will not be able to get a laptop that is so much better it catches up to what a desktop could do.

I request Minimum / Recommended Specifications are based on Laptops with those specs. Desktops will benefit because they will always be guaranteed to play the game superbly. And laptops players will also be able to play the game with the specifications being based on the lowest common denominator.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: [REQUEST] @Egosoft - Start making games Specifications relevant to Laptops

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 22:26

Something like a Intel 13th generation laptop should run X4 considerably better than your 10th generation Core i laptop. Moore's law might be dying but it is not quite dead yet, there is still tons of performance head room, especially when it comes to performance per watt.

Although desktops are power hungry, they are not that inefficient. They usually have higher idle power usage but can get very close to laptops in performance per watt, especially if you disable all the ridiculous boosts and turbo limits like laptops do. The reduced power efficiency can often be made up by the cheaper cost for performant hardware. If you do get full use out of the hardware, using more power, you also do get significant performance above what a laptop can provide, if this is worth it depends on what you value.

Defining a minimum and recommended specification for a laptop is nearly impossible. Even the same CPU and GPU can perform widely differently depending on the cooling and bloatware an OEM installs. This has become so extreme recently that you can have the highest end Nvidia mobile GPUs perform close to the lowest end due to thermal throttling and power limits.

alt3rn1ty
x4

Re: [REQUEST] @Egosoft - Start making games Specifications relevant to Laptops

Post by alt3rn1ty » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 22:47

Yeah I agree cooling is always a big concern on laptops, mine has two fans and I still put it on top of a cooling pad with its own fans.

And Bloatware .. I know what you mean, Dell are pretty good these days but I still do a clean OS Install with any new laptop and then just install the necessary device drivers without any crap getting installed, or OOBE triggered installation prompting. And Anti-virus pushing their wares via sponsoring a default install always gets the heave ho these days, good online behaviour with just the standard windows defender (which is a rebadged version of what used to be known as the excellent Microsoft Security Essentials) is good enough for me and a lot less system intrusive than Norton / Kaspersky / etcetera.

Its a shame though that for specifications the lowest common denominators are not considered. It may be impossible due to the reasons stated, but how about they are based on the laptop specifications with ideal conditions, and anyone not weeding out the usual laptop crap, or playing with the vents covered with a bed quilt, or buying a laptop with poor cooling just learn from their mistakes in purchasing :)

Edit: I am looking forward to a laptop with at least 13th gen CPU in a few years time. But the point of this is when we get to the end of what CPU development can do .. we will not have that option of looking forward to something better in x years, so I think its time we started specifying the lowest common denominators now.

My idea is Inclusive of everyone (laptop and desktop), current practice excludes laptop users, we have to guess by trial and error (and money) what machine spec we can use for any given game specifications.
Laptop Dell G15 5510 : Win 11 x64
CPU - 10th Gen' Core I7 10870H 2.2-5.0ghz, GPU - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060, VRAM 6gb GDDR5,
RAM - 32gb (2x16gb, Dual Channel mode set in BIOS) DDR4 2933mhz Kingston Fury Impact,
SSD - Kioxia M.2 NVME 512gb (System), + Samsung M.2 NVME 970 Evo Plus 1tb (Games)

:boron: Long live Queen Polypheides and may her tentacles always be supple.
Seeker of Sohnen.

Return to “X4: Foundations”