Should I come back to the game now or wait?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mightysword
x3tc

Should I come back to the game now or wait?

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 01:55

Hi,

Last time I played this game was somewhere in 2021, so almost 2 years ago. Love X2 and X3 to death, but just could never get into Foundation. Always get something like 30-40 hours on a save and then just quit. I'm thinking of going back to the game now and give it one last hurrah, but wonder if the timing is right with Boron around the corner? Also put a new comp together last year so I suspect the experience would improve greatly.

One one hand, would be nice to come back and relearn the thing, gonna assume a lot of things had changed since the last 2 years? (If not, not like I would remember the basic much anyway :gruebel: ). Also would be nice to build up some infrastructure to hit the new DLC with something better than a fighter when it's arrived. But that is assumed the beta-save will be compatible when 6.0 is live.

Otherwise, you guys think it's better to just wait for now?
Reading comprehension is hard.
Reading with prejudice makes comprehension harder.

Zloth2
x4

Re: Should I come back to the game now or wait?

Post by Zloth2 » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 03:17

Beta save will likely be compatible. You never want to be certain about such things, though.

I'm not sure how you're running out of steam. There's SO much you can do, it's almost overwhelming!

Oh, if you've got your old save still, you can probably do a "budgeted" start. Depending on what you did in that 30-40 hours, you'll probably be able to start with a little better ship, more cash, some relations already at 10 (or even 20), and so on.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 05:33

Zloth2 wrote:
Fri, 24. Mar 23, 03:17
I'm not sure how you're running out of steam. There's SO much you can do, it's almost overwhelming!
Idk, probably have something to do with the fact I never really did change my play style from X2. I build thing up very slowly and don't really engage in fast money making activities. By the time I got the first destroyer I would be like 25-30h in, and the game became a full time menu simulator game. I just sit inside the cockpit and do almost everything remotely, to a point it would feel awkward to jump in the pilot sit directly. And that menu simulator was also a chore because all of the lag. :wink:

Also up until last year I was on a computer that was built back in 2015 ... so I bet that was a major hinder to performance. I'm on a 10700k now though so hopefully it'll be much smoother. That's why I'm thinking going back and change how I usually play, and see if I can like the game, 'cause I really want to. :)

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 18:07

30 hours? That sounds pretty fast to a destroyer to me.

The game is great for letting you take your time. Feel free to just upgrade your engines a little, grab some satellites, and steak out interesting clusters of stations for a dozen or two hours.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

EGO_Aut
x4

Post by EGO_Aut » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 20:20

There are a lot of storys now, you do not need to make them straight through. With TOA DLC it is possible to get 2x unique ships, one is realy nice designed Yacht, the other a perfect XL battleship. :roll: Terran/Split story gives you nice ships for free relative fast. It would take some days to discover all.

PS: make a new game with 6.0 to get all features.

Submarine
x3tc

Post by Submarine » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 21:16

Why did you quit?

If there are things which drove you to quit which you would like to see changed then you should speak up about it, else how will they know?

My guess is you have forgotten the real reasons you quit along with your muscle memory and are looking at it through the rose tinted haze of forgetfulness.

Try playing it again and I bet it will all come back, including the reasons you quit.

My suggestion, request even, would be you identify what is making you feel like quitting, then make a list of all the things and tell egosoft, before they stop making patches and DLCs, because by then it will be too late.
bloop

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Sat, 25. Mar 23, 13:09

The beta will be compatible. But even one of the devs recommended starting a new game after 6.0 hits in this forum. They might have changed the universe generation or stuff for the final patch.
I'm personally waiting for the DLC to drop until I start a new game.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 03:15

Well, I dived in. And it's pretty good so far. Not having to deal with the constant lag is definitely a must. Just bought Avarice and running the new stories now. Overall all the missions are a lot smoother then how I remembered them, and by that I don't mean the lag, but no weird pause and bug that used to let me scratch my head where it's going.

But ... I think the reason why I'm enjoying the game a lot more now 'cause this time I run around doing plots stuffs mostly in my eclipse, except for a certain plot that required I fly something bigger. Constantly getting my butt kicked has been fun, I think I spent over 1mil on repairing that eclipse between mission by now. :doh:

Also, I used certain QoL mod (aka - cheat) to get myself to where I was in the old save ... and dear god I think I know what was one of the reason for my burnt out was: the stations hobbling to hunt for stuffs like training manual and obscured quest items ... I must have spent over dozen of hours back then hunting training manuals so my starting crew don't suck. I think by the time I got them to decent level I was just exhausted. Also, I noticed it's just one manual per level now? I think back then it's used to be several manual for a level? :gruebel:

Skipping all of that and able to focus on just doing mission have been fun this time around. :D

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 09:30

Mightysword wrote:
Sun, 26. Mar 23, 03:15
Constantly getting my butt kicked has been fun, I think I spent over 1mil on repairing that eclipse between mission by now. :doh:
Your spacesuit has a repair laser.

Return to “X4: Foundations”