(suggestion) electronic warfare

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Toshis8

(suggestion) electronic warfare

Post by Toshis8 » Sun, 19. Mar 23, 15:45

So the idea is that ships had slot to fit one type electronic warfare module. This is to increase the variety of how players can customize their ships and build strategies on how to engage different situations in combat, besides just doing damage.

For example, there could be an electronic module that temporarily disrupts weapons of one target (prevents them from shooting). This could give barely enough time to activate travel mode and escape or relieve some of the damage if your ship is under heavy bombardment. This could target only one ship at a time and have a cooldown. Might come in different sizes too: S disrupts for 5 seconds, M for 10 seconds and L for 20 seconds.

There could also be a module, that generates a field around the ship, which slows the movement of ships in its sphere of influence. This might give a better fighting chance for larger ships against swarms of fighters, but the drawback is that your ship is also affected.

Another example – a shield booster. Ship could temporarily recharge shield at an increased rate by consuming energy cells in its cargo. Drawback is that you have to give away your cargo space and ship with full cargo has worse maneuverability.

Anyway, I am sure that you could come up with more interesting devices, that could be fitted on a ship. The core idea - deeper customization of your ship and more strategies on how to approach different situations, not just simply shooting.

And if those devices were used against the player, there should be clear indication of whats happening, to avoid confusion.

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Re: (suggestion) electronic warfare

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Sun, 19. Mar 23, 15:53

The more special ship systems are introduced the more complicated AI scripts will get, resulting in more bugs and sub-optimal behaviour.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 19. Mar 23, 16:27

TheDeliveryMan wrote:
Sun, 19. Mar 23, 15:53
The more special ship systems are introduced the more complicated AI scripts will get, resulting in more bugs and sub-optimal behaviour.
This. Let's see them intelligently use Boson/Meson/MD and missiles first.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 19. Mar 23, 18:17

Toshis8 wrote:
Sun, 19. Mar 23, 15:45
So the idea is that ships had slot to fit one type electronic warfare module. This is to increase the variety of how players can customize their ships ...

And if those devices were used against the player, there should be clear indication of whats happening, to avoid confusion.
Like others already did say: NPC should use those first and be smart about it. For example, if there ire "jam guns", "jam engines", and "hack shields" modules, then every NPC squadron should have at least one of each among its ships so that together they can totally nail their target (hopefully the player).

Among the very best deaths are my firsts in the playthrough. In the starting Disco, practically instantaneous. I have a guess what was the cause, but no certainty. After some reloads I simply went elsewhere to do different things; something that was not as lethal. The point is, unless you have the electronic warfare module that reveals the enemy use of their electronic warfare modules, you should be confused ... or preferably dead. :split:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X4: Foundations”