Why are beam turrets expensive?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LameFox
x4

Why are beam turrets expensive?

Post by LameFox » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 10:26

To quote the encyclopedia:

"Considered to be an entry-level option, the Beam Turret is generally preferred by captains with tight budgetary considerations."

This is describing a turret that costs more than plasma, and is selected when you choose the 'high' preset for ship equipment. :gruebel:
***modified***

As25
x4

Re: Why are beam turrets expensive?

Post by As25 » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 12:30

You are being intimidated into paying more with that powerful 24 dps.

I don't know man. Egosoft is weird when it comes to beams. In TC, they were cut content left in the files (you could get them in one very specific instance, though it looked like an oversight). In AP, they introduced the Phased Array Laser Cannon, though is kinda hard to get and it's only 1 of the 4 beams "available". In X4, they finally properly introduce them but gave them little dps, and then we have COH, where they went 180 and said **** balance and added an op beam that insta bitch slaps an I.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 12:57

They have 100% (almost) accuracy and low level energy demands, coupled with minimal heating... that's why...

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 12:59

As25 wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 12:30
It's 24 dps that rarely misses. For years (literally) I avoided even trying beam turrets because that did seem like a very small number. Then one day, completely on a whim, I finally got round to trying them out.

They are effective in the sort of numbers you can fit on a destroyer. Ended up preferring them to the M bolt turrets I was previously using on my capitals. M beams may do only ¼ of the damage of M bolt turrets, however as long as they hit at least 4x more often they can end up doing more damage overall. For the most part, due to their extreme accuracy they do.

As far as I'm concerned it's the item description that's in error, rather than cost or stats.

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 13:00

dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 12:57
They have 100% (almost) accuracy and low level energy demands, coupled with minimal heating... that's why...
This is about the turrets, which is where I got the encyclopedia description. They won't overheat regardless.
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 13:04

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 12:59
As25 wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 12:30
It's 24 dps that rarely misses. For years (literally) I avoided even trying beam turrets because that did seem like a very small number. Then one day, completely on a whim, I finally got round to trying them out.

They are effective in the sort of numbers you can fit on a destroyer. Ended up preferring them to the M bolt turrets I was previously using on my capitals. M beams may do only ¼ of the damage of M bolt turrets, however as long as they hit at least 4x more often they can end up doing more damage overall. For the most part, due to their extreme accuracy they do.

As far as I'm concerned it's the item description that's in error, rather than cost or stats.
With M beams they need to hit even more often than that, because the bolts start firing at the target earlier. Pulse also fire slightly earlier than even bolts and have faster projectiles IIRC.
***modified***

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 13:09

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 13:00
dtpsprt wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 12:57
This is about the turrets, which is where I got the encyclopedia description. They won't overheat regardless.
I'm always talking about the ARG ones. As turrets go they have the best turning speed increasing their accuracy in all classes. Personally I always put ARG plasma in the L slots and dedicate them to attack capitals and ARG Flak for the M (defend)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 13:18

LameFox wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 13:04
With M beams they need to hit even more often than that, because the bolts start firing at the target earlier. Pulse also fire slightly earlier than even bolts and have faster projectiles IIRC.
In my experience pulse & bolt turrets are at their worst as regards accuracy when shooting at max range, barely hitting anything of size S or M until it flies a fair bit closer. In contrast beams are accurate even at max range. Would not use them if I did not find them effective.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 14:11

The biggest problem with beams is that most ships doesn't have dense enough turret configuration for beams to deal effective DPS.

The beam seem weak, untill you try Jian 6 turrets focused on single target.
Something with a lot of turrets, like Raptor is also very good (especially that Raptor has enough turrets to allow very flexible mix of weapons).

The additional problem with beams is that they are too light to be effective agains M/L/XL targets, so in addition to turret density, you also get very situational weapon, comparing to pulse or bolt or flak.

Casishur
x4

Post by Casishur » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 15:20

I use the beam turrets mainly for decorative purposes only, since they were heavily nerfed when 3.0 was released. Back then, a defense station with these turrets could melt K and I in seconds without any problems. Now they do almost no damage, for they are quite expensive and almost every faction defense stations are expensive = best equipped due to the loadout definition.
CPU Typ Ryzen 9 3900x
Grafikkarte Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB
Arbeitsspeicher: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200MHz
Motherboard Name/Typ MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Win 10 64 bit

Betty : Autopilot.... hat.... total Versagt.

Twitch https://www.twitch.tv/Casishur

Return to “X4: Foundations”