The future of the 'teleportation' feature, X5 and beyond.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mountain_Puncher
x3tc

Re: The future of the 'teleportation' feature, X5 and beyond.

Post by Mountain_Puncher » Sun, 26. Mar 23, 22:46

I think a pull down VR headset would have been a way better way to cover the issue of the player wanting to be everywhere without a jump drive. The advanced satellites could have been the only prerequisite, or have a station module that works similarly to allow the player to control a ship in that sector.

I never understood why there is like an emergency shower built in the back of ships and the player can warp out of it like Mario hopping out of a drain pipe, but no one else knows about it.

Manawydn
x4

Post by Manawydn » Mon, 27. Mar 23, 20:53

Personally I use a mod that limits my teleportation abilities to just 1 sector. I generally don't use it because it makes an already "small" universe feel even smaller. By limiting it to one sector, I can still use it for emergencies and fringe cases (like teleporting out of a situation you'd otherwise be stuck in) without making everything just be a 3 second teleport command away from me.

Moray

Post by Moray » Tue, 28. Mar 23, 20:00

Radamanthe Nemes wrote:
Sat, 18. Mar 23, 04:44
I propose for future X games making up some fairly plausible system in the lore that allows the player to use augmented reality to control remote ships in realtime
That's what Elite did, but only as a pretext for cooperative multiplay in the same ship. The lore would be ok if you could do it solo with your own ships...
You could control remote ships in real time in X2 – though the little extra windows with the other ships' views hardly qualify as "augmented reality" by today's standards!
Moray
"To err is human; to purr, feline."

vrod
x4

Post by vrod » Sun, 9. Apr 23, 11:23

I only use teleport within 1 sector and to switch to another undocked ship. My preference is to switch ships at a dock or carrier.

I really miss the jumpdrives in X3. (Not a fan for JD on small ships). This gives carriers a purpose. I am also not a fan of the superhighways. I thought it was perfect in X3.

humility925
x4

Post by humility925 » Fri, 21. Apr 23, 00:11

I do miss jumpdrive, it's make sense to had jumpdrive much more than teleport, teleport is more of fantasy while jumpdrive is more of reality, plus jumpdrive do gave balanced and help out with slow ship vs fast ship in combat, and more chance player enjoy in slow ship or transport flying personal more bearable. jump drive had benefits and make sense than teleport, but I guess travel mode is nice add, but problem, it's useless for slow ship who don't want fight in combat and want to flee, but unable to flee from doom from fast ship combat. I don't mind there is no jumpdrive if travel mode can keep flee even under heavy combat fire, but in this game, you can't even flee from combat if you are in slow ship, that is. On other hand Fastest ship had chance to use travel mode and get it out of it, I think it's not fair to slow ship who unable to flee at all in combat, Jumpdrive help with that. Combat? No thank you, I'm out of here when enemies come out of nowhere. It's gave option of player gameplay type, game seem flavor to combat player but not to peaceful player who happen flying slow ship (often non combat ship is very slow like transport, and all that.

X3 was very balanced toward to combat and peace player (maybe because jump drive that get out of here even under heavy fire, but x4 seem more favor combat player over peaceful player when flying ship.
Had a compassionate when you able... :)

Moray

Post by Moray » Thu, 27. Apr 23, 18:54

humility925 wrote:
Fri, 21. Apr 23, 00:11
I do miss jumpdrive, it's make sense to had jumpdrive much more than teleport, teleport is more of fantasy while jumpdrive is more of reality, plus jumpdrive do gave balanced and help out with slow ship vs fast ship in combat, and more chance player enjoy in slow ship or transport flying personal more bearable. jump drive had benefits and make sense than teleport, but I guess travel mode is nice add, but problem, it's useless for slow ship who don't want fight in combat and want to flee, but unable to flee from doom from fast ship combat. I don't mind there is no jumpdrive if travel mode can keep flee even under heavy combat fire, but in this game, you can't even flee from combat if you are in slow ship, that is. On other hand Fastest ship had chance to use travel mode and get it out of it, I think it's not fair to slow ship who unable to flee at all in combat, Jumpdrive help with that. Combat? No thank you, I'm out of here when enemies come out of nowhere. It's gave option of player gameplay type, game seem flavor to combat player but not to peaceful player who happen flying slow ship (often non combat ship is very slow like transport, and all that.

X3 was very balanced toward to combat and peace player (maybe because jump drive that get out of here even under heavy fire, but x4 seem more favor combat player over peaceful player when flying ship.
Agreed!
Moray
"To err is human; to purr, feline."

BmB

Post by BmB » Thu, 27. Apr 23, 21:38

It is a feature that, like fast travel, I think should be ignored and removed and doesn't benefit the game in any way. If you're far away, and something happens, then you're far away, too bad. It's really not essential at all, unless you are trying to metagame OOS mechanics to cheat. Between travel drive and highways, moving around is pretty damn fast especially with a scout craft which you can use to get somewhere quickly.

Return to “X4: Foundations”