Should 'grav-well' feature be removed?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

gorgofdoom
x4

Re: Should 'grav-well' feature be removed?

Post by gorgofdoom » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 06:49

If the only purpose for the gravity well feature is to allow docking at speed (for just the player ship), then it should only function on friendly ships that have active travel drives. I'd also like to see AI ships also able to take advantage of this-- if possible, keep the feature. But if the ai can't do it, why do we? Otherwise, given that the game has seen great improvement in collision detection i think the crutches can come off for combat.

I also suspect issues with this in combat situations with the new jolt engine. Perhaps its existence explains some of these absurd collision reactions between S/M and XL ships. I keep seeing K's and I's get tossed across the sector by repeated fighter collisions, often sent spinning out of control 80km from where the fight started. Spinning so fast their turrets can't hit stationary objects...

Ormac
x4

Re: Should 'grav-well' feature be removed?

Post by Ormac » Fri, 24. Mar 23, 08:04

dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 20. Mar 23, 11:21
Nanook wrote:
Mon, 20. Mar 23, 09:21
I can't think of a single scenario where a hostile ship would want you attached to its skin, especially since they're actively trying to shoot you (me). :P

After giving it a bit more thought, I think it should just go away. It was a game mechanic in X Rebirth that doesn't really translate well to X4. If you want to attach yourself to an enemy ship, you knock it out of travel drive with a couple of shots. If you want to dock on a friendly ship, you should be able to ask it to drop out of travel drive, or else dock on it before it enters travel drive. I don't really see the need for it. It's just not a believable. or necessary thing anymore. If it was made optional, I'd probably never turn it on.
Couldn't agree more, especially as it applies equally to all ships regardless of size/mass/volume. I'd rather be chasing am L that I have or want boarded than be banged (and "jolted") around by commercial traffic when I dock my Cerberus!!!
Oh yeah I hate getting sucked in by passing freighters when I'm on an EVA. If A L ship is only docked just to transfer goods then logically I need to EVA over.

Return to “X4: Foundations”