Request: please add permanent map icon for discovered anomalies and data vaults

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Falcrack
x4

Request: please add permanent map icon for discovered anomalies and data vaults

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 16. Mar 23, 21:16

Pretty please? These are immobile objects, they aren't going anywhere, so why not have the computer mark their location for you once uncovered? Discovered stations have their icons remaining on the map after being uncovered even without constant radar coverage.

And no, please don't suggest I drop nav beacons or satellites there!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Request: please add permanent map icon for discovered anomalies and data vaults

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 16. Mar 23, 21:32

The discovered data vaults and POI features (eg aqueducts) in my vanilla game are marked on the map, which is new since 5.10. They do need to be in player asset coverage though and I think that was probably enough of an improvement over prior behaviour.
5.10 Changelog: Added target elements for Vaults and Landmarks.

Anomalies aren't marked at all though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Falcrack
x4

Re: Request: please add permanent map icon for discovered anomalies and data vaults

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 00:23

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 16. Mar 23, 21:32
The discovered data vaults and POI features (eg aqueducts) in my vanilla game are marked on the map, which is new since 5.10. They do need to be in player asset coverage though and I think that was probably enough of an improvement over prior behaviour.
5.10 Changelog: Added target elements for Vaults and Landmarks.

Anomalies aren't marked at all though.
That's not what I am asking for. I'm asking for the icons for data vaults to remain on the map even when no longer in radar range of the player or player assets. Data vaults definitely do disappear from the map once they are no longer in radar range, in 6.0. As proof, these are a few data vaults in my game which are uncovered via satellites. Deactivate the satellite so that there is no longer radar coverage of the data vault, and the data vault disappears instantly from the map.

Getting all the data vaults in the game is insanely hard, because you have to be watching the map like a hawk in order to spot them when they are uncovered by your exploring ships. If you are not paying attention, you may uncover them, then go out of radar range, and you don't think to check these uncovered locations again.

Zloth2
x4

Post by Zloth2 » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 00:51

Oh, and if that icon changed in some way after the data vault was completed, that would be VERY nice.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home
and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here! It's wondrous, with
treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross, but it's not for the
timid." ---- Q

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 17:17

Zloth2 wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 00:51
Oh, and if that icon changed in some way after the data vault was completed, that would be VERY nice.
I second both this and the OP. There is no good reason we need to stare at the map just to find these.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 18:09

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 16. Mar 23, 21:16
And why not? It's the logical thing to do. I drop a named beacon at every anomaly and vault I find, then when I want to do something with them, I simply go to my property list under deployables and I can see them all at a glance. Just having them permanently displayed as one of your assets finds them isn't really all that useful since you then have to search through the whole map to find them again.

Besides, so many people were grousing about the lack of things to explore, and we have these two things that do require us to explore, and what happens? :roll: :P

I say No! to your suggestion. :sceptic:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 19:07

Nanook wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 18:09
Falcrack wrote:
And why not? It's the logical thing to do. I drop a named beacon at every anomaly and vault I find, then when I want to do something with them, I simply go to my property list under deployables and I can see them all at a glance. Just having them permanently displayed as one of your assets finds them isn't really all that useful since you then have to search through the whole map to find them again.

Besides, so many people were grousing about the lack of things to explore, and we have these two things that do require us to explore, and what happens? :roll: :P

I would drop a nav beacon next to a data vault or anomaly I find, except that so often, my minions discover it while I am not looking (without dropping a beacon of course, because there is no vanilla functionality for this). Or I fly by the data vault/anomaly and not notice them, or I am busy doing something else and don't have time to mark them. Now this spot of map is uncovered, and I don't know in the future to go looking at that spot again for the anomaly or data vault.

This is the most dumb way to encourage us to explore that I can think of. If you want to talk logic, the logical thing for a ship with an advanced onboard computer to do would be take a note of the position of stationary objects and record them for future reference. Your "logic" of needing to drop nav beacons is fairly illogical.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 19:34

Falcrack wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 19:07
... Your "logic" of needing to drop nav beacons is fairly illogical.
You obviously missed the logic, and convenience, of having a list of all vaults and anomalies available in a single glance. :wink: And personally, I prefer to find these kinds of things myself, without the aid of my NPC's. It's called 'exploring'. Finding and exploring all the data vaults is meant to be a personal, long term goal. I wouldn't want my NPC's to ruin my fun by discovering them for me. :cry:

As for the anomalies, after I've found one, I'll collect 20-30 nav beacons in a fast scout. Then I'll enter them one by one, discovering new sectors and dropping a named beacon in each sector. Again, I don't want my employees spoiling my fun. And anomalies are really just for fun, since once you've found them, they serve no other purpose. Each one randomly takes you to another anomaly so you can't reliably use them for travel. So it's really pointless to have them permanently appear when your NPC's discover them.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Toshis8

Post by Toshis8 » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 20:56

Nanook wrote:
Fri, 17. Mar 23, 18:09
Falcrack wrote:

Using navigational beacons to mark wormholes isn't practical, i've tried it. Beacons get slowly pushed away by the force generated from wormhole. After long enough time, beacons end up so far away, that you have to search for that wormhole again.

edit:
Anyway, in my impression, wormholes arent very useful, tried to use them as a shortcut, to cut vast distanced for traders, but their random connections/unpredictability probably waste more time than save.

Edit #2:
If wormholes led to isolated sectors not connected to the rest of the galaxy by any other way, that might be interesting ;)

Baddieus
x4

Post by Baddieus » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 00:03

As far as the wormhole anomalies go they are unstable, so no real need to mark them unless you are looking for a quick escape to anywhere else. If an anomaly is plot related then a navigation beacon will do for easy return, but when the plot is over you will not likely be going back to that same anomaly unless you just feel like jumping randomly throughout the verse. FYI .. I was able to map all the anomalies with navigation beacons by stopping immediately after exit, dropping a beacon, then going in reverse back through it to the next random destination because they always spit you out forward. It might be a cool plot line & game addition to have the boron be able to create a device that would stabilize 2 anomalies and keep them connected as such for not only the player but NPC's as well. Then we could setup trading lanes to our benefit, or if at war could come under attack thus requiring defensive actions be taken to keep our new routes.

As for data vaults, one usually remembers the general area they were spotted in and/or can drop a nav beacon as a reminder then re-name that beacon accordingly. Personally, I went with full adv-sat coverage in all friendly sectors and can see those vaults on my map ... only those outside the easy to find areas needed to be marked.

=Baddieus=

tbof
x3tc

Post by tbof » Mon, 20. Mar 23, 10:48

I have used nav beacons and/or sats to mark discovered data vaults, then rename them to "Data DUN <name>" when I have opened (plundered?) them - great, works well..... until some toerag comes along and destroys the beacon/sat.... So a colour change (or similar notification) would be really useful....
BoF

Shizzkizz
x4

Post by Shizzkizz » Tue, 21. Mar 23, 05:08

Anomalies are a cool idea made near useless due to their random nature. I’d like to see a proper way to map and use anomalies outside beacons and remembering where you might go. There should be a tech or small quest to map them so it shows the links between them like all other forms of sector travel. Maybe one does lead to a hidden sector not connected by other means of travel. Anomalies should be marked on the map instead of placing beacons that all look the same. Yeah you can set it all up and name it all or you could just give us a map marker and save everyone a few hours.

Return to “X4: Foundations”