[Request] Random universe start

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SirConnery

[Request] Random universe start

Post by SirConnery » Tue, 14. Mar 23, 18:12

This would increase replayability by a lot. Just have a disclaimer when starting "This is experimental and will not produce a balanced universe".

Having a randomly generated universe out of the current sectors would be amazing. I don't care so much if it's balanced, it would be fun. You could include options for tweaking such as

1) Terran sectors always connected
2) Being able to tweak how many starting zones for each faction

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: [Request] Random universe start

Post by CBJ » Tue, 14. Mar 23, 18:40

The current level of randomness, with the starting positions and states of many stations and ships not pre-defined, was relatively easy to achieve. Randomising the underlying universe layout would be quite a bit harder to set up for a number of technical reasons, regardless of in-game issues such as the economy. And it's not just the economy; having no reliable layout would definitely break story missions, but might well break other missions too, and a number of other internal systems, such as those that handle faction behaviour, manage the normal ships that fly around, and so on, would likely also break.

Judging by people's ability to read sticky threads, I don't think relying on people to read a disclaimer would prevent people from complaining about the game being "broken", and leaving negative reviews, if we did this entirely randomly as you suggest! However, a more viable scenario might be to have "known" areas of the universe that remain fixed, but add "unknown" areas that can vary from game to game. This would solve most of the above problems, while still allowing for more exploration and extending replayability. None of this would be likely to happen any time soon, though, as it would require quite a lot of major changes. :)

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Tue, 14. Mar 23, 19:17

CBJ wrote:
Tue, 14. Mar 23, 18:40
[..]
However, a more viable scenario might be to have "known" areas of the universe that remain fixed, but add "unknown" areas that can vary from game to game.
[..]
*cough*unfocusedjumpdrive*cough* :D

---

I like that idea - we need more unkown space exploration / deep space expeditions to find McGuffin(s). :)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Uwe Poppel
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by Uwe Poppel » Tue, 14. Mar 23, 20:42

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 14. Mar 23, 19:17

---

I like that idea - we need more unkown space exploration / deep space expeditions to find McGuffin(s). :)
We actually don't even need the "UFJD" for that, it would be enough if warp anomalies or dead jumpgates were suddenly active - maybe only for a few hours/days??? (Information for example about GalNet messages or special missions). :wink:
And if the Boron really managed to activate a dead jumpgate now (KE-DLC??), the player could use their technology for a final activation of jumpgates... :roll:

Well, maybe only for X5... :gruebel:

LandogarX4
x4

Post by LandogarX4 » Tue, 14. Mar 23, 22:38

chew-ie wrote:
Tue, 14. Mar 23, 19:17
CBJ wrote:
Tue, 14. Mar 23, 18:40
[..]
However, a more viable scenario might be to have "known" areas of the universe that remain fixed, but add "unknown" areas that can vary from game to game.
[..]

---

I loved that part of X3. Hopefully we can get something similar in X4/X5.

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=-
x4

Post by -=SiR KiLLaLoT=- » Tue, 14. Mar 23, 22:45

My dream is to have an option that can make the universe more or less empty, even with the original layout of sectors, yards and warfs.
It would be nice to be able to raise everything from scratch, even with the initial absence of Xenon which, after a certain number of hours, would slowly appear.
HW Spec:
CPU: Core i9 9900k @ 5.0Ghz - MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO - RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix MAX DDR4 4400Mhz CL19 - GPU: nVidia RTX 3070 FE - M.2: Samsung 980 512GB - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB - Sandisk Plus 240GB – HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB – WD Caviar Blue 1TB – WD Caviar Black 2TB - PSU: Enermax Liberty 82+ PRO 620w - CASE: iTek Iron Soldier - MONITOR: 27” Acer ED270UP - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit - KEYBOARD: Logitech G11 – MOUSE: Red Dragon Perdition
My X4 Steam screenshots.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 15. Mar 23, 02:08

Some layout randomness could be possible without breaking storylines and the like, especially for any future entry in the X series built with the mechanic in mind. The idea would be to have some static layouts, such as those needed by storylines and faction economies, connected together randomly with random "filler" sector sections in a way to fulfil constraints, such as specific factions being near each other.

An example could be that a sector like Turquoise Sea, a currently non storyline critical sector that was added in a patch, could be connected to any inactive jumpgate that is not intended to be used for DLC content. Several such sectors could exist meaning that the location of Turquoise Sea varies between playthroughs.

Tharrg
x4

Post by Tharrg » Fri, 17. Mar 23, 16:36

I can't see this ever being part of the main game, but it does sound like an excellent idea for a mod. Good luck with it, I will certainly give it a try when it's done,

SirConnery

Post by SirConnery » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 10:37

-=SiR KiLLaLoT=- wrote:
Tue, 14. Mar 23, 22:45
My dream is to have an option that can make the universe more or less empty, even with the original layout of sectors, yards and warfs.
It would be nice to be able to raise everything from scratch, even with the initial absence of Xenon which, after a certain number of hours, would slowly appear.
Same, this is would actually be a nice compromise. All factions start with just a few miners, a wharf and 1 of each station. Delay Xenon appearance for like 10 hours. Would be nice to impact the early faction building more heavily and see the universe get together.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sat, 18. Mar 23, 16:08

My dream is for Egosoft to provide a start where they said forget lore, forget storyline, forget plots. Forget Boso Ta, and especially forget Dal Busta. There are dynamic relationships and each faction can choose to ally or go to war with other factions based on the strategic situation.

The player starts off as a faction owner, in their own sector, with their own set of blueprints, as do the other factions, surrounded by unclaimed sectors, with just enough ships and stations to start their economy and allow it to grow. Each sector a faction claims provides a steady supply of credits to the faction owner, based on the population level of the sector. Factions would use their credits to purchase wares from other friendly factions and to maintain their ships and stations, so the more sectors a faction owns, the larger sized fleet it could afford to maintain.

You could terraform planets in order to increase the population, and thus the amount of income generated from each sector, which would be necessary because initially only the starting sector for each faction would be populated.

Research would be changed so that you could continuously improve ships chassis, engine, weapons, and shields, and the AI factions could also do research to improve their ships. You could build research modules to increase the rate at which you do research on a single item, or do research on multiple things at once. You could reverse engineer ships and components from other factions if you want more ship variety.

Basically, a more 4X style of game. It would be closer to Stellaris where you can fly and fight in ships.

st3k
x4

Post by st3k » Sun, 19. Mar 23, 00:46

There was a great mod, to create random galaxy. It was stopped working, but author promised to release new version when Boron will come to the game.

Return to “X4: Foundations”