Feature Request: Trade Menu or revamped trade filtering

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ZeroAffex
x4

Feature Request: Trade Menu or revamped trade filtering

Post by ZeroAffex » Tue, 24. Jan 23, 04:46

Greetings gentle devs (and gentle pilots viewing!)

I hate having to take up too much of anyone's time right now but I did want to pass it along that one aspect I'd like to see get some attention is how to find trades. As it stands, it's a bit cumbersome to find where to sell our wares, even with help from the trade filter. For instance, I type in the map's search bar "Microchips" and open, up my filter setting to show Medium quanities or above for demand. All very good stuff. But now I need to pan around the galaxy map to see who want's what. Not entirely terrible to do because if you hover over a sector, it shows the highest 'paying' demand for you which works (somewhat).

However, it does not show every single demand for that sector which really makes selling stuff a real chore when you just want to find a places with high demands or even medium demands, regardless of price just to unload quantities and have to zoom down to station levels to find new listings that aren't shown from just normally hovering over a sector.

Irconically, I didn't even notice it wasn't showing all the listing in a sector until probably a good 300 hours into the game which was somewhat a mixed feeling when it dawned on me lol. I stumbled on a listing by accident, that when I zoomed back out a little, it disappeared and was replaced. I then realized that not everything is shown by simply hovering over the sector. In fact, sometimes I'll find higher buy demands if I zoom into station, but they'll have a poor asking price. So now when I am setting up my trade lines, I am going station to station basically in each sector looking for prices/demand amounts. It's just somewhat taxing to do it like this each time for each trader for each different ware. I am selling like 9-10 different wares I produce from my own factories and each time, I search in the map, I go to each sector, I zoom in to each station and it just adds up to being a lot of time I could place elsewhere into more rewarding activities.

So what I propose is to make life a little easier for us entrepreneurs or trade extraordinaries is give us a bonified trade menu of some sort. Maybe something we can tab over to like other menu's in the game, then put into a search bar the ware we want information on and so long as we have satellites or a trader license, information is displayed telling us all available buying options per sector and all available selling options per sector in one easy to view list or location for the ware we searched.

Could take it a step further and allow us to assign a ship to a station from the 'buy ware' section and vice versa for selling wares for ships we intend to manually control ourselves for trades. I kind of envision it to be something like how the boarding screen looks but just with trading information/options going on instead. This would save us some time to be able to view who has what for sale or who wants to buy what and quickly send a ship off to take care of it. Would be pretty awesome, I think. I mean honestly, it could be pretty basic too and I'd still be plenty happy. If it just shows who has what's for sale and who wants to buy what, that's fine too!

Another idea is instead of a trade menu which might be too much dev work, to have it so when we hover our mouse over a sector looking for trades, it doesn't just show us the highest paying high demand trade but list every single one in that sector, even if the prices are very low (for when searching for a single ware of course, not speaking about default behaviors here. defaults are fine!). That would also make life of a trader much easier too. Anything is probably better than what we have right now with having to go station to station looking to unload our stuff each time. Don't get me wrong, what we have now works but I just think it could be improved a bit more so that we spend less time fiddling around looking for trades. It's really the only thing that somewhat bothers me in this game which is my favorite and I love dearly.

For the record.. I mean if it stays this way, that's totally fine and I'll happily live with it and still find plenty of enjoyment. Just know, I think myself and many others would really enjoy having an easier time establishing our trade routes by having trade information more readily available either on the map or location on the UI dedicated to trades and trading information. That and if there's an aspect I think that can be improved on, I'd like to let you guys know because I care about your game and only want the upmost success for it and yourselves!

Oh and I do want to clarify too before I forget. I don't think information should be given unless we have satellites or bought trade licenses, just like it is now. The system in place right now is perfect in my opinion and I don't want to see them removed or tampered with. I find that aspect to be really immersive and rewarding after you go around setting up your satellite network or saving up for a trade license to be able to capitalize on them and make some creds doing trades. Plus, it encourages players to explore and to seek out new profitsss :)

Thanks for your time! Hopefully it made sense and wasn't too confusing in my wording. I'll let you go. You guys are the best! Love you all <3 I hope you have a great rest of your week and keep up the amazing work.

TLDR:
Complaint: Seeking out buyers via the map is somewhat challenging, especially since not all buyers are shown for each sector, just the highest paying with highest demand meaning you need to zoom at station level to find other stations that are also buying or selling.
Suggestion 1: Implement a Trade Menu so we can easily search wares and it quickly shows all buyers/sellers on a single page. Bonus would be to allow us to assign ships to stations in this menu to buy or sell wares but that's maybe too much work to do, not sure.
Suggestion 2: Have it so when we are looking for specific buyer/sellers in a sector, it list all of them in one easy to view screen on the map without us having to zoom in and out to all the stations in that sector to find them.

-ZA
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

aurelcourt
x4

Re: Feature Request: Trade Menu or revamped trade filtering

Post by aurelcourt » Tue, 24. Jan 23, 08:51

+1

We're talking about a universe far ahead of ours in technology, so I guess it would make sense to have some proper filtering :D

- For example an additional filter show full cargo only (if you have a ship selected).
- And if we bought a trading licence, we should get a proper menu of the best trades available for that faction. I mean they need the wares moving if the prices are so low/high. Ideally we could filter and sort by volume required for that trade, and number of sectors.

However in the current version of the game, it is possible to achieve good results with a trading station and a few chosen wares.

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Mon, 27. Feb 23, 10:58

Just going to say again I really hope this gets revamped someday ha. It's so frustrating looking for buyers sometimes because they're not all shown when you pan over them normally on the map but instead, you must tediously zoom into each sector then pan around some more to see if any more trade's are shown rather than just telling me all of them from a normal zoom level. It's fine when you have handful of traders and don't have a lot of sectors to buy from but when you have 95% of the universe known and 100+ different traders, it's taxing and really makes setting up trades somewhat punishing and quite time consuming.

Here's some screenshots to show why the current system bothers me.

Normal zoom level, if you just hit M and started looking around shows only one buyer when there's actually three here.
Full size - https://i.imgur.com/fTpYzw6.png

Zooming in about half way reveals an additional buyer.
Full size - https://i.imgur.com/pt7DN50.png

Zooming in all the way reveals another additional buyer that happened to have the highest buy demand in that entire sector for over 10K that was hidden.(3 blue hex, not shown)
Full size -https://i.imgur.com/eZFrNjl.png

Here's another example, normal level zoom hovering over a sector to view buyers reveals one buyer.
Full size -https://i.imgur.com/nTK8XNh.png

Zooming in about halfway once again reveals another buyer that was hidden until zooming in. (3 blue hex)
Full size - https://i.imgur.com/lP0MwA2.png

Like I said before, what I hope happens someday is we get a trade panel that we can toggle on/off on the Map towards the right side, similar to how the "info" panel works currently but instead list buyers/sellers for each sector and eliminates panning the around the universe to find them. Or that we get a trade menu, separate from the map like that of for 'research' or 'player information' that we can click on and it list trades for all the sectors we know and have active information on (satellites/trade agreements). Ideally, being able to assign trade ships to buy/sell right from that menu so we can do everything trade related all in one place that's easy to understand and more importantly fun. Way it is now feels more like work than fun.

Also, if you could give us some tools to help organize our traders, I'd be extremely pleased. :roll: It really hurts the brain when you have over a 100+ traders you are trying to take care of. Maybe it could be a new 'filter' you could add for us that when enabled, breaks ships up into different groups depending on the ware in their cargo hold or their buy setting. That or just give us the ability to make our own folders or subgroups to place traders or ships into. I'll take anything haha.

Took a screenshot to hopefully incite some sympathy as to why some of us need it.. :lol:
Full size - https://i.imgur.com/vgPc2gu.png

Thanks for your consideration and time amazing devs! Have a great week ahead and don't work too hard. Remember rest is important and as much as I want all this stuff for my favorite game and 6.0/Borons to come, I wouldn't want it over sacrificing your own personal well-being either. Game dev is hard work that goes without thanks a lot of the time and so please be sure to remember to take breaks, stay hydrated and take care of yourselves in general! I worry about my dev friends sometimes because I can see how hard you all are at work, recognize it and just want the best for everyone. Really appreciate everything you guys do, can't say it enough and love ya all! Take care!
Last edited by ZeroAffex on Mon, 27. Feb 23, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Mon, 27. Feb 23, 11:34

aurelcourt wrote:
Tue, 24. Jan 23, 08:51
it is possible to achieve good results with a trading station and a few chosen wares.
True but stations only go +5 out if you get a 5 star manager trained and for my big factories to sell my goods from Antigone Memorial all the way to FRF/ZYA/PAR sectors on the other side of the universe, I'd have to create a bunch of mules and hopper stations to pickyback my wares from my stations over to those guys to make creds which I'd much rather just create a trade loop instead and not bother with that myself.

Plus, I lose out on the endorphin rush of establishing profitsss!

Nothing more rewarding than exploring a profitable trade route, laying down my satellites near those high buying stations, rushing back home, sending off my finest trade ship brim full of goods and waiting to hear those creds drop when the trade concludes! And when I do hear that sound, ahhh it's good. Really good!

Bottom line here is I love being in control of my trades and don't want AI to handle my high dollar ones like drone components, claytronics and the like that I worked hard to make and people will buy for top credits. Plus, it's much easier for me to control my traders should trouble arise because I am very methodical in setting up my routes and naming my traders according to their ship type, speed and ware. I always set it so all my traders of a single ware sell to all the same stations in the same order that way I know exactly where to find them when I need to check on their performance and efficiency like a good creds lovin CEO.

Yes, I'm Teladi :teladi: We exist and love playing X4 :oops:
Last edited by ZeroAffex on Tue, 28. Feb 23, 00:42, edited 2 times in total.

quarren
x4

Post by quarren » Mon, 27. Feb 23, 13:07

Very much agreed.

I think the biggest gripe I have with the current UI is the arbitrary "boxes" that get drawn around stations and the trade listings that pop up all over the place and clutter the view of the map.

- trade listings should have a dedicated space in the UI, not pop up all over the place
- the "boxes" that get drawn around stations should go - just list the trade offers for stations which are currently visible on the map (so the displayed trade offers can still be controlled by zooming in and out on the map)

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Mon, 27. Feb 23, 14:57

quarren wrote:
Mon, 27. Feb 23, 13:07
- the "boxes" that get drawn around stations should go
Exactly, that and have a panel like what I was thinking, on the right where we can click the ? for information but have a button for trading and just do away with the damn boxes that get buried as I showed depending on the scroll distance. That would be a game changer!

Edit: Made a suggestion about designating or giving us an indicator to storage/station trading which is actually already in game, I am was just oblivious! :oops: My apologies devs and everyone else! Please forgive me and will do better to be more attentive to things before I make a suggestion.
Last edited by ZeroAffex on Tue, 28. Feb 23, 02:53, edited 4 times in total.

TheDeliveryMan
x4

Post by TheDeliveryMan » Mon, 27. Feb 23, 22:56

I would like to have the ability to apply blacklists and trade rules/restriction to the trade filter. This would allow me to create custom views and easily switch between those.

The UI to create blacklists is already there, so it might not be too difficult to implement the missing pieces.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 27. Feb 23, 23:16

ZeroAffex wrote:
Mon, 27. Feb 23, 14:57
- It's impossible to tell if a station wants to buy a ware or if it's their storage. There needs to be some indication as to who wants what.
There is a little icon next to name of ware if the offer is from build storage (three boxes) or for supplies i.e. drones and missiles (one box). :teladi:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Tue, 28. Feb 23, 00:39

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 27. Feb 23, 23:16
ZeroAffex wrote:
Mon, 27. Feb 23, 14:57
- It's impossible to tell if a station wants to buy a ware or if it's their storage. There needs to be some indication as to who wants what.
There is a little icon next to name of ware if the offer is from build storage (three boxes) or for supplies i.e. drones and missiles (one box). :teladi:
I've never noticed it but I wouldn't be surprised as I do have very bad eyes (near clinically blind). My apologies and thanks for correcting me my friend! Last thing I want to do is spread misinformation or waste devs time. :oops: Appreciate the insight and will work harder on my end to ensure when I suggest something, it's not already in the game like I did here. Thanks again for the help in clearing this up for me. Take care!

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Sat, 9. Dec 23, 05:35

Hate to bump but after a hiatus away from my favorite game, came back and realized a lot of what I had complained about has been addressed and fixed! Why I would love a full out trade menu, the fact that I don't have to zoom in to find out who is selling what is a HUGE improvement. Thank you Egosoft devs for listening and all your continued support for this game. Crazy it's already been 5 years! Hope we get another 5 more of X4 :D Can't wait to see what the future holds! Much love <3

Return to “X4: Foundations”