Introducing X TECH 5 and kicking off 6.00 Public Beta

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Introducing X TECH 5 and kicking off 6.00 Public Beta

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 11:40

Read the information linked in the very first post in this thread. The first one explains the rules of the public beta; the second one explains how to access it.
Gregory wrote:
Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:04
How do I take part in the Public Beta?
Every player who owns X4: Foundations has the opportunity to download the new 6.00 beta version. In order to ensure that beta participants are aware of the risks and rules involved, we ask all interested players to visit our forum, where they will find the rules and disclaimers, as well as practical instructions for participating in the beta. Follow this link to our forum (no registration required) to find the relevant information.

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 14:32

I'm not at home to test myself, but what exactly does the "bombardment" assignment do?
Does it affect target selection (e.g. "only attack stations and capital ships")?
Does it affect range to target (e.g. "only stay at maximum weapon range and retreat if target gets too close")?
Does it affect weapon selection (e.g. "only use weapons with longest range" or "only use strongest weapon" or "only use torpedoes")?

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 14:44

The gfx look nicer, the lighting and reflections look good, shadows much improved tho on stations i wish the distance the hq shadows would be longer but its got longer since last version so its a improvment. Fps not as good tho imo with my 3570k. Must just be those that afford more expensive cpus.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 15:13

This is an amazing list of changes for the game, huge kudos to Egosoft. If the 'transform gizmo' mentioned for the station editor is what I think it is, I'm very excited to try out the new version.

I didn't see it on the changelist so I'm hoping during the beta you could look at the bug where station module position/orientation isn't properly converted for savegames in some cases. The original report seems to have been deleted or made private (at least I can't access it) but it was assigned a ticket number back then.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 15:42

Question - will NPC faction use "position defence" logic for their carrier fleets?

Like that one poor carrier in Argon Prime or some of Terran dozen carrier fleets :)

surferx
x4

Post by surferx » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 15:53

There are so many changes I can't even choose a favorite one. Thanks for the hard work that went into this upgrade and massive game changer.
If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.

Operating System:
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit CPU: 13th Gen Intel Core i9-13900KF RAM: 32606 MBytes MBO: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC (U3E1) GPU: ZOTAC GEFORCE RTX 4080 Trinity OC NVIDIA 16 GB GDDR6 SSD: AJP600M2TB 1907 GB

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 16:30

Most nice feeling is that just beta 1, so we will still possibly get more goodies with later betas :)

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 17:10

The new teleporter room sections is nice, im glad about that change. :)
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 17:14

Ketraar wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 11:00
Axeface wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 05:32
We need a 'bablefish' moment
This had happened in XBTF at the very start where the Teladi does a try&error adjustment to establish communication compatibility. If we start thinking more deeply about it then talking to someone immersed in water expecting them to emit sound waves is already a big problem and the rabbit hole just goes deeper. But you are correct cant hurt to have a deeper look at it. #Lorenerdsunite :)

MFG

Ketraar
Now that you mention it I remember seeing this on a stream of xbtf, but I never played it. Interesting! And yes indeed, a can of worms would be opened but I think soon might be the time to dig deep. I think it would lead to much more fleshed out aliens and a more immersive universe as a whole to do so.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:12

adeine wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 15:13
I didn't see it on the changelist so I'm hoping during the beta you could look at the bug where station module position/orientation isn't properly converted for savegames in some cases. The original report seems to have been deleted or made private (at least I can't access it) but it was assigned a ticket number back then.
I can still see this report, and as far as I can tell nothing has changed. The report remains open, however, which means it is still on someone's radar.

One comment about your report, regarding the yaw value being dropped: that is actually perfectly normal. It can happen for any of the attributes whenever they match their specific default value, and it just means that the missing value will be assumed to take that same default value when it's read back in. The absence of a yaw attribute isn't, therefore, a sign of a problem in and of itself.

adeine
x4

Post by adeine » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:48

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:12
adeine wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 15:13
I can still see this report, and as far as I can tell nothing has changed. The report remains open, however, which means it is still on someone's radar.

One comment about your report, regarding the yaw value being dropped: that is actually perfectly normal. It can happen for any of the attributes whenever they match their specific default value, and it just means that the missing value will be assumed to take that same default value when it's read back in. The absence of a yaw attribute isn't, therefore, a sign of a problem in and of itself.
Ah, thanks for confirming. I get an "You are not authorised to read this forum" error when I try to visit the topic and it doesn't appear in my posts anymore (I can still view the beta forum itself and other threads within it just fine).

If you look at the info within the report you will see they do not match their default value, leading to modules changing their position and orientation after saving and reloading the game. I guess it's possible the problem is in the logic determining what values are 'safe' to drop rather than in the conversion between yaw/pitch/roll and quaternion format (though it is peculiar that the modules affected by the bug are the only ones not converted upon saving).

bignick217
x4

Post by bignick217 » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 21:42

Skeeter wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 00:31
any fsr 2? Any better aa methods like taa? Coming in 6?
https://youtu.be/SbFiziuv650?t=1210

Apparently not.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 22:02

bignick217 wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 21:42
Skeeter wrote:

Apparently not.
Also:
linolafett@reddit wrote: The engine is currently not able to support motion vectors, therefore TAA or other temporal effects are not supported. Better AA ist very high on my "feature request" list ;)
If you are not afraid of "reshade", please have a look at the "DLAA_plus" shader, it works impressively good in the game. Maybe thats good enough for you right now.
@source: https://libreddit.eu.org/r/X4Foundation ... ?context=3

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 22:06

adeine wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 18:48
Ah, thanks for confirming. I get an "You are not authorised to read this forum" error when I try to visit the topic and it doesn't appear in my posts anymore (I can still view the beta forum itself and other threads within it just fine).
Well sorry about that, it was me cleaning the beta forum with very old posts, they dont get deleted but archived, to keep any links to internal references. I moved this one back for the sanity of it.

MFG

Ketraar

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 22:12

chew-ie wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 22:02
bignick217 wrote:
Fri, 20. Jan 23, 21:42
Skeeter wrote:

Apparently not.
Also:
linolafett@reddit wrote: The engine is currently not able to support motion vectors, therefore TAA or other temporal effects are not supported. Better AA ist very high on my "feature request" list ;)
If you are not afraid of "reshade", please have a look at the "DLAA_plus" shader, it works impressively good in the game. Maybe thats good enough for you right now.
@source: https://libreddit.eu.org/r/X4Foundation ... ?context=3
Also:
linolafett@reddit wrote: We try to get some temporal AA into the engine, but this is nothing for 6.0, needs deeper gfx engine changes and these take time.
@source: https://www.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/ ... &context=3
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Drumma

Post by Drumma » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 23:07

I don't have rl time to read through everything regarding the add/changes/improvements in-the-works for the new update, so I'll leave my 2 pennies here (and they are simple).

Have they indicated a change to add NoStardust toggle to the graphics settings ?
That's the only mod I use and it flags my files as Modified. It should be a game setting so the file is not tagged.
And on a similar topic: A vector indicator would be nice. (the previous comment ^^ is in light of some pilots using "stardust" for vector indication and I understand that - they can toggle it on )

Have a nice day All Good Luck and Have Fun

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 20. Jan 23, 23:36

For reasons we have given on a number of occasions, we have not added, and have no plans to add, a no stardust option.

SirBerrial
x4

Post by SirBerrial » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 00:49

Performance improvements are very noticeable on my machine.
Defense command is nice, camera too.

A question - is it possible to get a self-destruct command other minor player assets like boarding pods, cargo drones and other things? Boarding pods still seem to spazz out from time to time is they fail to reach the target.

hargn
x4

Post by hargn » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 11:15

Hi,

Just here to give some feedback, so...
Awesome changelog, with many poolish features that'll help us in many way (i love the new station construction gizmo, that remembers me Kerbal Space Program eg.).
  • New physics engine is fine: better collision handling, even i succeeded to enter a wharf cause i was entering into to fast cause I was purchased by tons of vigor's angry hunters.
  • The bombard for commander assignation should be explained: some people believe that it's for capital ships to stay away from stations/hostiles while firering with their main weapons, in order to prevent them to make a suicidal charge into xenon stations.
    It's false, it's intended for bombers to send volleys of missiles and torpedoes on enemy's capital ships, as i've seen on reddit.
  • It also has been requested by one other people, but i aggree with him: Position Defense should be available for any subbordinate groups, not only carrier's ones.
My last request should really be considered for these reason (i believe to be pertinent):
  • We may want to have groups subordinate to stations that we want to defend certains strategic positions around this station, especially defense stations.
  • We may want to have fleets to protect mining zones, for free mining, nor for refining stations, so fighter groups may be assigned to a fleet nor a station again.
  • Fore sure, we want to use it before to be able to afford an XL carrier, that come late in game.
Serioulsy, being able to assign fighters to our mining stations in order to protect from the Kha'aks the mining zones we've marked with resource probes for our miners would be awesome.
Consider it.

Cheers

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Gregory » Sat, 21. Jan 23, 12:25

Surprise weekend video drop :D

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbfez5ljdE4 for some explanations on 6.00 from Bernd himself. You'll also find some previously unreleased X4: Kingdom End gameplay scenes in the background :o
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

Return to “X4: Foundations”