Introducing X TECH 5 and kicking off 6.00 Public Beta

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gregory
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Introducing X TECH 5 and kicking off 6.00 Public Beta

Post by Gregory » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:04

Once our recently announced new X4 expansion, X4: Kingdom End, is ready to be released later this year, it will be accompanied by the most extensive set of improvements to X4: Foundations since the game's original release back in 2018. These major technical changes to the game call for a lot of testing - so please join our 6.00 Public Beta!

How do I take part in the Public Beta?
Every player who owns X4: Foundations has the opportunity to download the new 6.00 beta version. In order to ensure that beta participants are aware of the risks and rules involved, we ask all interested players to visit our forum, where they will find the rules and disclaimers, as well as practical instructions for participating in the beta. Follow this link to our forum (no registration required) to find the relevant information.

X TECH 5
Our past games X Beyond the Frontier, X3: Reunion, X Rebirth and the original 1.00 release of X4: Foundations marked the biggest milestones in the development of our very own X series engine. With the upcoming release of X4: Foundations 6.00, we're taking the next step and introducing X TECH 5.

While integrating the next generation of our graphics engine with several big visual improvements (details below), as well as a new, more powerful physics engine with performance and feature improvements, we're also maintaining savegame compatibility for X4.

We would like to give you a first impression of some of the highlights of X TECH 5 that are in the first Public Beta of 6.00. We are still working on additional features that may be added in later public beta releases. We will talk about those additional features in due course.

New physics engine
Experience the thrill of space more than ever before in X4: Foundations, with the integration of Jolt Physics into X TECH 5. Whether you're navigating an asteroid field, docking at a space station, or engaging in combat, Jolt Physics adds a new level of realism and immersion to every moment of gameplay. You'll feel the full force of acceleration and deceleration as you pilot your ship, and every collision will have a tangible impact. In addition to enhancing the overall gameplay experience, the integration of Jolt Physics also brings about performance and feature improvements to X TECH 5, which you'll find listed in the full 6.00 Public Beta 1 changelog.

Massively improved graphics engine
A big part of what makes us very proud of the upcoming 6.00 Update to X4: Foundations is the radical improvements included in our graphics engine. Here are some of the highlights from this area of development:

Improved lighting
The main goal with the new lighting engine in X TECH 5 is to improve natural-looking sunlight in space. More vibrant colours, higher intensity suns, and a wider range of interesting lighting moods. X TECH 5 gives us many new tools to achieve this. Reflection probes greatly improve lighting situations inside cockpits, bridges and on stations, and seamlessly integrates with the screen space reflections introduced in a previous version of X4. You will also note that the shadow-casting in X TECH 5 has massively improved. This greatly helps in producing more realistic visuals at greater distances.

Introduction of parallax occlusion mapping
With the inclusion of parallax occlusion mapping, X TECH 5 features a technique that allows us to add extra detail and depth to surfaces in the game. This is achieved by using a special type of texture that encodes information about the height and shape of a surface, which is then used to create the illusion of 3D depth and detail. As a player, you can expect to see a noticeable improvement in the realism and immersion of surfaces in the game, as parallax occlusion mapping allows us to add subtle details and depth that were not previously possible.

Wide range of gameplay improvements
Apart from the serious technological improvements, we have of course also added gameplay refinements and new features in Update 6.00. Please take a look at the complete changelog for version 6.00 Public Beta 1. Today, we would like to put the spotlight on the following two highlights:

Position Defence
The new Position Defence feature in Update 6.00 allows players to have a single carrier-led fleet defend multiple locations while maintaining its streamlined support structure. Individual subordinate groups within the fleet can be assigned to protect specific locations, and will patrol the area until they need to return to the carrier for repairs or resupply. Additionally, these subordinate groups can be set to support other groups in the fleet if they come into contact with threats. This allows for flexible and dynamic defence of multiple locations with a single fleet. We can't wait for you to try out this new feature and see how it enhances your gameplay experience.

Live Stream camera mode
Live Stream is a brand-new camera mode in X4: Foundations that brings you closer to the action. Once activated, by hitting F6, Live Stream mode allows you to watch interesting events and scenes unfold in your game in real-time. Whether it's an epic space battle, a bustling space station, or a beautiful nebula, this new mode has you covered. One of the best things about Live Stream mode is that it automatically switches between scenes, so you never have to worry about missing out on the action. You can sit back, relax, and enjoy the show, as our new camera mode takes you on a tour of the most interesting moments in your game.

We have lots more ideas on how to refine and improve this new camera mode further, and we will keep working on it during the 6.00 Public Beta phase and beyond. But please do try it out in its current form, and share your feedback with us.

We encourage all players to participate in the beta and provide feedback on the new features in our Public Beta Feedback forum. This is just the start of the 6.00 Public Beta for X4: Foundations. The beta will be updated regularly over the next few weeks, so keep an eye on our news channels to avoid missing anything.

We can't wait for you to try out all the new content in Update 6.00 and look forward to hearing your thoughts. --> Full 6.00 Public Beta 1 Changelog

📢 Note to the modding community
As mentioned in our survey summary a few months ago, X4 modders are super important to us and we are very grateful for their work. While we can't go into too much detail on this topic today, we wanted to at least briefly mention that we are working on some new modding tools for X4 and will also be improving the information available to modders in the future. For example, we plan to provide a modding equivalent to the X4 update changelog. As soon as the tools can be tested, we will inform you separately about this, and provide you with further details.

X4: Kingdom End – Wishlist now!
Enjoy a long-awaited reunion with the Boron in X4: Kingdom End, the fourth expansion for X4: Foundations, which completes the collection of the main factions in the X Universe. Discover the unique Boron ships, and fly them through distinctive systems, on a journey of discovery. Visit fascinating places, uncover old secrets and make new acquaintances. Embark on an immersive new chapter of X4!
All our channels in one convenient list :arrow: https://linktr.ee/egosoft

mr.WHO
x4

Re: Introducing X TECH 5 and kicking off 6.00 Public Beta

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:27

Egosoft I commend you!

Going through the Beta 1 change log I see multiple things that bothered me since 1.0 adressed and fixed.

6.0 really seem like "polish" focused approach update, while still adding tons of new stuff and feature.

Along with Boron DLC, 6.0 really has potential to stand firm along X3 :)
Last edited by mr.WHO on Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:28

Fabulous! Simply fabulous!

Very exited to try it all out. Will report back!
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:38

BTW

X TECH 5

Is this a subtle hint for something in future? :D

Edit:

Ah, now I understand this is 5th new engine:
1) X-BTF
2) X3
3) XR
4) X4 1.0
5) X4 6.0
Last edited by mr.WHO on Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:52, edited 2 times in total.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:39

Might be a backport of the <don't mention it yet> project :gruebel: :D

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Saquavin
xr

Post by Saquavin » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:40

• Added new bombardment assignment for subordinates.
Finally !
I can't wait to test that particular point in the humongous patch. Having my L / XL ships going suicide on station instead of bombarding safe from distance was a point, maybe the point which made me stop the game for a while.
I really hope this new command works, and works well. Nice job !

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:46

Highlights for people who don't want to go through massive change log:

Added new bombardment assignment for subordinates.
Added command to order ships to attack surface elements on designated targets.
Added self-destruct command for player-owned satellites, resource probes, nav beacons, lasertowers and mines.
Added player HQ to Station Design Simulator.
Added extra Signal Leak missions for factions foreign to station owner, allowing player to earn reputation for Vigor Syndicate at Teladi stations and for Fallen Families at Free Families stations.
Added mappable hotkeys for deploying objects such as Satellites and Laser Towers.
Added mappable hotkeys for giving and aborting player squad attack order.
Added option to hold Shift while dragging on map to move orders vertically.
Added descriptions to many items in Encyclopedia.
Added distinction between enemies and hostiles to Encyclopedia faction entries.
Added more relation perks to Factions and Relations menu.
Added option to exchange captains when transferring crew.
Added possibility to override faction logo per fleet.

Improved coordination within fleets during attack.
Improved behavior of ships fleeing from attacks.
Improved combat behavior of ships in fleet with carrier or fleet auxiliary ship.
Improved carrier behavior in combat if all fighter subordinates are on detached assignment.
Improved decision-making for when commanders recall subordinates upon receiving move order.

Some notes from new physics engine - possibly adressing clipping through objects situations and improving autopilot handling and AI navigation around stations.

Nulric
x4

Post by Nulric » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:54

Wow. Just wow. Can't wait to give this a try, shake out bugs, etc. Awesome.

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:54

Exciting! Im surprised we're getting a new physics approach, and glad to see quite a few things ive been requesting for a long time make it into the list.
I wonder if the old textures are getting parallax added to them or will the parallax textures be new additional ones? or both
Last edited by Axeface on Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

Loltak
x4

Post by Loltak » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:56

Already said on Reddit but yeah I want to so thanks you again.

Just download the beta, I have a huge boost of fps in the map, mostly at 60 fps as I"ve cap it, so fluid. :thumb_up: Edit 2: it seems it was because in a really empty sector.

Edit: Just tested the gizmo in the station builder, oh my god that so cool!
Last edited by Loltak on Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.
X4: Fondations Vanilla all extension.
Casual ineffective player at slow pace

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:06

This is incredible news and has me VERY excited about all the upcoming features that 6.0 will bring. X-Tech 5 sounds especially interesting and has me drooling at the possibilities it will bring with the new physics and lighting. I am truly grateful for all the hard work and continued support on X4. Just blown away right now.. More than I ever could of imagined. Thank you gentle devs! Thank you so much <3
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:19

Loltak wrote:
Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:56
Just download the beta, I have a huge boost of fps in the map, mostly at 60 fps as I"ve cap it, so fluid. :thumb_up:
Out of interest, what was the respective fps before beta?

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:27

Having only read the few lines posted in this thread, it sounds promising and I will definitely will give the beta a try.
I really hope that the new behaviors, bombardment, targeting surface elements etc will actually work. Targeting surface elements already is In the game for boarding since 1.0 but it, to date, doesn’t work at all As they just hit the target until it’s dead.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:30

6.0 public beta changelog wrote:Fixed potential damage to objects in universe from missiles that explode in Encyclopedia view.
Awesome! Wait ... what now? :gruebel: :o

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]

Loltak
x4

Post by Loltak » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:30

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:19
Loltak wrote:
Thu, 19. Jan 23, 18:56
Just download the beta, I have a huge boost of fps in the map, mostly at 60 fps as I"ve cap it, so fluid. :thumb_up:
Out of interest, what was the respective fps before beta?
Yeah no it's because I was in a empty sector I think (Jupiter). I did not realize that because it was mostly the first time I have go there and it really surprised me.
Perhaps there is really increase in fps depending where you are. Time will tell.

Before beta patch was around 30/40 fps, I did not check it all the time.
X4: Fondations Vanilla all extension.
Casual ineffective player at slow pace

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:33

Not what I was expecting. (Well, I was not expecting anything ...) :roll:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

ZeroAffex
x4

Post by ZeroAffex » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:54

I've been playing the beta for last 10-15 minutes and got to say ITS INCREDIBLE.. Huge bump to FPS, Encyclopedia has been really fluffed up, new stream camera view is epic, visuals are looking the best ever, and the list goes on. You guys really outdid yourselves with all these changes and new features. Totally blown away! You devs made my day. I've been super sick but this has lifted my spirits. Such a wonderful surprise. I love you guys <3
The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. -Frank Herbert

Mycu
x4

Post by Mycu » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 19:59

It's a fantastic update.

10 minutes in beta and already:
  • the game feels 'lighter' resource wise - see big improvement in FPS both in space and map mode
  • loading time on heavily modded save is much shorter
  • new lightning looks great - it was an area that X4 lacked so far
  • 'live camera' gives fantastic feeling of a living universe, when you can see what's happening in TEL wharf few sectors away, or SCA ship fleeing somewhere
  • very welcomed imnprovements to the build menu (xyz rotation wheels - at last!)
That's just a top of the imrpovement mountain.
Can't stress enough how happy I am with this update :)
Last edited by Mycu on Thu, 19. Jan 23, 20:14, edited 1 time in total.
X3 AP 3.1 + XRM
X3 AP 3.1 + LU

1stRaymond
x3tc

Post by 1stRaymond » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 20:03

I currently have an older Intel-based computer (can you say 9th gen) and suffer through a lot of motion stutter while playing. I will be purchasing a new system in 2023. My question what is the system minimum requirements for best performance while playing?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 19. Jan 23, 20:13

System requirements are listed on the Steam store page, and haven't changed.

Return to “X4: Foundations”