How to begin

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Toedliches_Auge

How to begin

Post by Toedliches_Auge » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 16:09

Hello,
I created a new game in the "Project Genesis" scenario.
I played until the big station was moved away.
Now the mission tells me to build a docking module.
So, I read through some forums but didn't really understand anything.
Can someone explain to me step by step what i should do now?
Kind regards

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: How to begin

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 16:55

You can't land at your new station until you hire a builder ship and build a ship dock on it. You already own some station module blueprints and one of them is for a small & medium ship dock.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Toedliches_Auge

Post by Toedliches_Auge » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 17:14

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 4. Dec 22, 16:55
You can't land at your new station until you hire a builder ship and build a ship dock on it. You already own some station module blueprints and one of them is for a small & medium ship dock.
Yes, but wat should I exactly do?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 17:20

Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Toedliches_Auge

Post by Toedliches_Auge » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 17:21

Toedliches_Auge wrote:
Sun, 4. Dec 22, 17:14
Alan Phipps wrote:
I mean, how to play the Game?
Where to go first? What to do first? etc.

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 17:33

Toedliches_Auge wrote:
Sun, 4. Dec 22, 17:21
Toedliches_Auge wrote:
Alan Phipps wrote:
What you want.

If you are looking for a guided gameplay experience, this game will disappoint you. It is a universe simulator with some loose stories. The main joy comes from "just being there".

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

Toedliches_Auge

Post by Toedliches_Auge » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 17:46

chew-ie wrote:
Sun, 4. Dec 22, 17:33
Toedliches_Auge wrote:
Sun, 4. Dec 22, 17:21
Toedliches_Auge wrote:

What you want.

If you are looking for a guided gameplay experience, this game will disappoint you. It is a universe simulator with some loose stories. The main joy comes from "just being there".
No, I don't want to be guided through the entire game. I just want some sort of clue of what's the best to do first.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 18:18

I understand now. What you do first is to explore the local area and stations. The reasons are that you are finding good local trade opportunities, finding station missions that you might be able to complete, and finding areas to avoid - all while perhaps making some credits to help you to improve your ship(s) and base by upgrades, better replacements or new assets. If you are combat-oriented, you may be looking out for NPC or pirate ships to make yours, either to use or to sell.

If you just want to make early credits, then there are several ways and some are more entertaining or repetitive than others. The best thing there is to decide what playstyle you most enjoy and then mostly follow that branch for a while growing your capability in that aspect - trade, combat, piracy, missions, etc. Trying to be master of everything at once or expanding your empire too early may result in disappointing overall outcomes and losses.

If you want some guidance and direction early on, then the plots are good introductions and tutorials and give some nice player benefits, but they can get quite serious and intensive in their requirements after significant progress in them. Most can be left to do other things as you please unless in the middle of critical phases.

In summary, relax and explore first. The game is not a race to a goal or end-game and you may miss out on some of the beauty and immersion of the game if you do rush. Sure, some factions such as the Xenon can expand while you sight-see, but even that can be recovered later on and becomes part of the ongoing dynamic variations of gameplay on offer.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Toedliches_Auge

Post by Toedliches_Auge » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 18:24

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sun, 4. Dec 22, 18:18
I understand now. What you do first is to explore the local area and stations. The reasons are that you are finding good local trade opportunities, finding station missions that you might be able to complete, and finding areas to avoid - all while perhaps making some credits to help you to improve your ship(s) and base by upgrades, better replacements or new assets. If you are combat-oriented, you may be looking out for NPC or pirate ships to make yours, either to use or to sell.

If you just want to make early credits, then there are several ways and some are more entertaining or repetitive than others. The best thing there is to decide what playstyle you most enjoy and then mostly follow that branch for a while growing your capability in that aspect - trade, combat, piracy, missions, etc. Trying to be master of everything at once or expanding your empire too early may result in disappointing overall outcomes and losses.

If you want some guidance and direction early on, then the plots are good introductions and tutorials and give some nice player benefits, but they can get quite serious and intensive in their requirements after significant progress in them. Most can be left to do other things as you please unless in the middle of critical phases.

In summary, relax and explore first. The game is not a race to a goal or end-game and you may miss out on some of the beauty and immersion of the game if you do rush. Sure, some factions such as the Xenon can expand while you sight-see, but even that can be recovered later on and becomes part of the ongoing dynamic variations of gameplay on offer.
Thank you, that helps really much. :)

Return to “X4: Foundations”