Mining multiplier AI

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nibel

Mining multiplier AI

Post by Nibel » Thu, 24. Nov 22, 17:07

does AI OOS have ANY use for weapon mining multiplier mods ? or it's a waste of resources ?
Last edited by Imperial Good on Fri, 25. Nov 22, 07:57, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Confusing typo in topic title.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Mining multiplayer AI

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 24. Nov 22, 19:39

Never tried it myself, however even if it did make a difference for AI flown miners (suspect it would) I still wouldn't use them. Mining mods considerably increase the speed at which an asteroid can be split into manageable chunks (from around 30 seconds to 5 or so), but that's all they do. Will not do anything to increase the yield from each asteroid, or the speed at which those chunks can be collected, or the time it takes to fly those chunks back to the station. Generally find the latter factors tend to be much more important for efficient mining than reducing time it takes for each asteroid to be split. Consequently I mod chassis & engines of my miners for more speed (basic Polisher + Reaver mods are typical) but I have far better uses for weapon mods (& associated resources) on my warships.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 24. Nov 22, 20:20

Isn't there a hull mod for L ships that would allow it to have more drones, and hence more collectors? That should at least increase IS collection rates, and possibly OOS too depending upon the algorithm factors.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 24. Nov 22, 22:53

Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 24. Nov 22, 20:20
Isn't there a hull mod for L ships that would allow it to have more drones, and hence more collectors? That should at least increase IS collection rates, and possibly OOS too depending upon the algorithm factors.
Basic Garage mod can do that - adds capacity for up to 4 additional drones. It's also one of the potential secondary effects of Lubricator drag reduction mod (not that I ever have enough blue chassis mods to routinely install them on miners). May have to experiment with that one day to see if there's a point of diminishing returns for mining drones. However very much like Polisher/Reaver for my miners. That particular combination gives a Magnetar, for example, a travel speed of around 7-7.5km/s (compared to un-modded travel speed of 4.6km/s) & is not particularly expensive to install as standard kit.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 24. Nov 22, 23:05

I've been wracking my brains to try and work out what on earth the OP means by "multiplayer AI" and "mining multiplayer mods", and why everyone is giving perfectly reasonable answers without addressing the elephant in the room. It's finally dawned on me. Multiplier; they mean multiplier. Carry on chaps!

Nibel

Post by Nibel » Fri, 25. Nov 22, 01:03

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 24. Nov 22, 23:05
multiplayer AI
ahah i just notice my typo,fixed :lol:
Alan Phipps wrote:
Thu, 24. Nov 22, 20:20
more drones
question is,as with weap mod...does it even work OOS ? OOS works is a mystery. having full mod raptor gatecamping xenons in OOS is quite a fascinating view. cant kill one K on it's own and always crying to me when it's shield drop to 20%~ while K's shield barely past 80%,like Captain is brain dead or smtn.have to TP in each time,then just turn ship at it and let it melt in about 20 seconds while K barely depleting those 20% of my shield.
unless there is a list of how OOS works compared to IS,OOS is enigma to me and not in a good way.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Mining multiplier AI

Post by Imperial Good » Fri, 25. Nov 22, 08:03

Nibel wrote:
Thu, 24. Nov 22, 17:07
does AI OOS have ANY use for weapon mining multiplier mods ? or it's a waste of resources ?
Waste of resources. I did not observe a significant low attention increase in mining speed after installing those mods on the L mining turrets of a maximum skill L solid miner when mining Silicon. This test was conducted a few versions ago so the outcome might have changed since then.

AI controlled player ships do need mining turrets to function in low attention. However, improving those turrets further with additional mining damage mods does not seem to make a difference to their mining speed. This could possibly be a bug that would need to be re-verified and reported for the current version of X4.

Return to “X4: Foundations”