Please Make Player Miner Logic Like Faction Logic

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

temetvince
x4

Please Make Player Miner Logic Like Faction Logic

Post by temetvince » Wed, 23. Nov 22, 00:19

Version: Steam 5.10 (479084), all DLC, No mods.
Miners assigned to mine for a station fill up on multiple minerals and can only sell one of them. This means if you look at a miner's freight, sometimes they will have multiple ores. This should not occur: miners need to act like faction logic miners and dump all cargo that can't be sold.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Re: Please Make Player Miner Logic Like Faction Logic

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 23. Nov 22, 10:52

This can occur if a mining vessel is unable to offload all of it's cargo before going out to mine something else.
There are a couple of things I do to avoid this issue:

(1) Configure my stations to sell excess resources beyond, say, 1/2 of the storage capacity for each resource & assign a few mining ships to the trade group. Those selling ships ensure that storage never completely fills up. Consequently there's always room for mining ships to offload everything they're carrying. Tend to use this approach in the early phases of a new game.

(2) Separate mining stations, each dedicated to mining a single solid & gas resource (e.g. 1 station mines hydrogen & ore, another for methane & silicon, etc). These stations also have miners assigned to the trade group to distribute those resources to production stations which need them. Since each mining station (& associated ships) only handle a specific pair of resources there's no possibility of mixed loads. With this approach none of my production stations have their own miners. Tend to use this approach in the later phases of a game, as I find it much more convenient to manage miners this way.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Please Make Player Miner Logic Like Faction Logic

Post by Imperial Good » Wed, 23. Nov 22, 12:30

temetvince wrote:
Wed, 23. Nov 22, 00:19
Miners assigned to mine for a station fill up on multiple minerals and can only sell one of them. This means if you look at a miner's freight, sometimes they will have multiple ores. This should not occur: miners need to act like faction logic miners and dump all cargo that can't be sold.
As far as I am aware this does not occur anymore. As long as the station has enough buy orders the miner will even efficiently unload all the different minerals or gasses it collected sequentially with a single docking order.

The mineral or gas a miner chooses to fill up on will be the one with the lowest storage fill percentage. With sufficiently large station storage this means that the miners will generally mine a perfect ratio of what the station needs.

If a station is accepting multiple mineables found in the same region, then miners occasionally get bonus mined product of different but also needed mineables. This makes the miners mine more efficiently, especially when combined with the merged sell logic described above.

There is an issue with mined ware retention when you have a station with vastly different consumption rates of mineables. For example a station consuming 1,000,000 ore per hour but only 1,000 ice per hour. If the ice storage fills up completely it can end up with a lot of miners holding ice they cannot unload for an extended period of time. In this situation you will want to either expand the ice consumption part of the station towards 100,000 units per hour, or to remove the ice consumption part and instead buy in the low throughput products from a dedicated station that the ice was being used for. This issue mostly affects Ice and Hydrogen as balanced stations use those in significantly lower quantities than other mineables.

In general, adding more solid and liquid storage can help solve problems with miners retaining mined wares by giving more buffer time for demand to be created and opportunities for the wares to be unloaded. As long as they have all unloaded before one of the mined ware storages is empty it should just work. Even still excessively large differences in consumption might be an issue as described above.

Return to “X4: Foundations”