mission which made me start from the scratch

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

DarthKroolik

mission which made me start from the scratch

Post by DarthKroolik » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 13:24

Hi all :)

This is really nice to be a part of this X4 community! :)
I was almost about returning the game, but finally I refused to give up. The game is full of little and annoying bugs, but what I really hate, are bad design issues.

An easy mission gained in Black Hole Sun IV - An Aggressive Suggestion:
1: Deploy: 6x Laser Towers in target area

We can also read in the mission's briefing:
Laser towers near their territory's entry points should do the trick.

Both: mission's description and the automate yellow path of the mission do not show what actually is intended by devs to be done, to got the mission completed.
I tried few different approaches here: most logical could be putting Laser towers on a superhighway entry or entries, to particular quadrants. But which ones exactly?
One laser tower per entry? Does not seem to be an efficient solution, am I right? So maybe all 6 towers on one of them..? But again, which one, dear devs..?

Also the yellow path - when I get to Black Hole Sun V quadrant - asks me to get back to the Black Hole Sun IV. Which does not make sense. I tried to put one of Laser towers, then also all 6 of them in the guardian bubble showing in the superhighway entry to Black Hole Sun IV but none of those solved the mission.

I also tried to put Laser towers on edges of both mentioned IV and V quadrants - also didn't solve the mission.

Tried other approaches, more or less stupid from my point of view - the mission cannot be completed. This is probably my third mission in the game, I spend all my gathered money to buy these Laser towers, for the mission and fill cheated by devs and the game or both.
This is highly frustrating, as usual symptoms of bad design are causing such organic reaction on players...

But, as mentioned already, I ma not about giving up on the game.
Could you please give me a hint about devs' intention on this easy quest? I am a new in this game, and maybe I just need to used to some inside, in-game philosophy, which currently I'm not catching.

Regs and have a nice weekend everybody! :)
DK
Last edited by DarthKroolik on Sat, 19. Nov 22, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: mission which made me start from the scratch

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 13:51

If you have the yellow sphere directed to in mission guidance, then that is where the mission wants you to drop the next laser tower (LT). When you get your ship inside the sphere with LTs on board then the mission guidance hint may change from the general briefing to something like 'Deploy a LT here' (or perhaps as many as the mission wants there). If successful, then the guidance should change to a new yellow sphere somewhere else for the next LT drop, etc. All the LTs dropped must be inside the various spheres.

Just as a thought if this is not working for you, *sometimes* the mission might expect you to go and get the required number of the required items during the mission even though you may have already had enough on board when you took the mission. In such a case the mission guidance might say 'Obtain LTs' etc. You could perhaps get round that issue by deploying the LTs and then picking them up again, or just by going and buying some more if you can.

Good luck, but if nothing here helps then you could consider doing a report in Tech Sp and including a public share link to a vanilla save uploaded to a reputable public fileshare site that shows the issue in progress on loading it.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 13:54

DarthKroolik wrote:
Sat, 19. Nov 22, 13:24
I tried to put one of Laser towers, then also all 6 of them in the guardian bubble showing in the superhighway entry to Black Hole Sun IV but none if those solved the mission.
Approach the "bubble" from side of "accelerator". Do not fly into the accelerator.
You should get "deploy" guidance message once you are inside the bubble.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

DarthKroolik

Post by DarthKroolik » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 14:00

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 19. Nov 22, 13:51
If you have the yellow sphere directed to in mission guidance, then that is where the mission wants you to drop the next laser tower (LT). When you get your ship inside the sphere with LTs on board then the mission guidance hint may change from the general briefing to something like 'Drop a LT here' (or perhaps as many as the mission wants there). If successful, then the guidance should change to a new yellow sphere somewhere else for the next LT drop, etc.

Just as a thought if this is not working for you, *sometimes* the mission might expect you to go and get the required number of the required items during the mission even though you may have already had enough on board when you took the mission. In such a case the mission guidance might say 'Obtain LTs' etc. You could perhaps get round that issue by deploying the LTs and then picking them up again, or just by going and buying some more if you can.

Good luck, but if nothing here helps then you could consider doing a report in Tech Sp and including a link to a vanilla save uploaded to a reputable public fileshare site that shows the issue in progress on loading it.
Thank you for the guidance Alan! :)

DarthKroolik

Post by DarthKroolik » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 14:07

jlehtone wrote:
Sat, 19. Nov 22, 13:54
DarthKroolik wrote:
Sat, 19. Nov 22, 13:24
I tried to put one of Laser towers, then also all 6 of them in the guardian bubble showing in the superhighway entry to Black Hole Sun IV but none if those solved the mission.
Approach the "bubble" from side of "accelerator". Do not fly into the accelerator.
You should get "deploy" guidance message once you are inside the bubble.
Thank you, I will check this solution immediately as the first thing! :)
One thing, it would be difficult to make it from this particular accelerator, as this is an entry from BHS V to BHS IV so I can do that only from the other accelerator, after getting back from BHS IV to BHS V, then stop immediately and try to upload the LTs to the activated sphere, on the other accelerator, as game suggests it - the map show this that way, I am afraid, despite this seems to be illogical.
Is it possible to put here a screenshot, for a better understanding?

Edit:
Here is the screenshot:
https://ibb.co/Xt7nVXk

So the mission's yellow path directed me to the superhighway entry in BHS V - the one currently with the bubble - to BHS IV.
Then in BHS IV, game indicated to get back to BHS V.
On this screenshot, the status after return from BHS IV, so I am back in BHS V.
The above procedure triggers showing the yellow sphere.
Illogical huh? :)

Regards,
DK
Last edited by DarthKroolik on Sat, 19. Nov 22, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 14:50

Yes, you should be able to link a Steam screenshot by posting the link here. If not using Steam screenshots, then you may have to upload a screenshot to a public fileshare site and link it here, as you would with a save.

EDIT: OK, you have done it anyway.

From that position on the map, you don't have to go through the portal at all; just fly anywhere inside the sphere, which has lots of room for you and you can also see the sphere in the minimap while flying too, and then drop the LT.

DarthKroolik

Post by DarthKroolik » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 14:53

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 19. Nov 22, 14:50
Yes, you should be able to link a Steam screenshot by posting the link here. If not using Steam screenshots, then you may have to upload a screenshot to a public fileshare site and link it here, as you would with a save.
Thank you mate! :)
I already did it in the previous post - please, check the edit section :)

Regs,
DK

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 14:55

Yes, I have edited too. :D BTW, it looks like your ship needs a reserve pilot for when you leave it?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 15:54

I was thinking of the different accelerator type, but same principle applies.
Here is picture of me on side of superhighway: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cm8tG_ ... sp=sharing

DarthKroolik

Post by DarthKroolik » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 20:36

jlehtone wrote:
Sat, 19. Nov 22, 15:54
I was thinking of the different accelerator type, but same principle applies.
Here is picture of me on side of superhighway: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cm8tG_ ... sp=sharing
So you say that I should apply those LTs from outside of the zone marked by the yellow bubble? Did I take it correctly?

I am too poor for a pilot so far, mate. Just started the game and I already lost a few k's of money I made for the LTs. It supposed to make me some income :( :P

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 22:38

DarthKroolik wrote:
Sat, 19. Nov 22, 20:36
So you say that I should apply those LTs from outside of the zone marked by the yellow bubble? Did I take it correctly?
I did not have mission for the screenshot. I had set the highway as guidance target.
I can't remember where the bubble is when the mission puts it on highway; just showing that you can approach and get close from side too.

Same, when the mission is on Gate. I just skim the outside surface of the Gate ring, rather than dropping in front or behind, where there can be traffic. (Well, earlier game version had some traffic behind the Gate.)

DarthKroolik

Post by DarthKroolik » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 22:52

Alan Phipps wrote:
Sat, 19. Nov 22, 14:50

EDIT: OK, you have done it anyway.

From that position on the map, you don't have to go through the portal at all; just fly anywhere inside the sphere, which has lots of room for you and you can also see the sphere in the minimap while flying too, and then drop the LT.
OK, I did it the way you suggested, I only lost the LTs as I can't even get them back - they stuck in the relay somehow :P So this isn't the way I can solve the issue. I will reload a save and try to re-sell the LTs and give up the quest, as this is a broken one.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! :) I am happy I joined such a great community! :)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Sat, 19. Nov 22, 23:33

DarthKroolik wrote:
Sat, 19. Nov 22, 22:52
OK, I did it the way you suggested, I only lost the LTs as I can't even get them back - they stuck in the relay somehow :P So this isn't the way I can solve the issue. I will reload a save and try to re-sell the LTs and give up the quest, as this is a broken one.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys! :) I am happy I joined such a great community! :)
Laser towers can be recovered if necessary (e.g. if dropped in the wrong place during a mission) & redeployed elsewhere. Right-click on a laser tower & select 'deactivate' first, then fly into it or use the container magnet to draw it towards your ship. The latter approach could potentially also recover laser towers that have somehow ended up in location that can't be reached by ship (though have not had occasion to test that personally). If there are several that need to be recovered hold down shift, draw out a box to select them all simultaneously, then right-click & 'deactivate all'.

As for the mission, never had any difficulty with this type myself. Generally just a matter of flying into the yellow circle on the map & deploying an appropriate number of laser towers. When deploying them to defend a gate I usually fly in a loop & deploy them evenly in a circle parallel to the gate. Makes for a pretty lightshow if one of the client's enemies flies through the gate & gets hit from all sides. However for the purposes of completing the mission a cluster of them right next to the gate works just as well, as long as they're all inside the yellow deployment zone.

Return to “X4: Foundations”