Welding(like in KSP.)

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Aital

Welding(like in KSP.)

Post by Aital » Thu, 17. Nov 22, 10:49

Have they considered something like welding mod from KSP to allow large amounts of parts to be stuck together to remove lag or other issues from large bases. I have a 1500-2500 par base underway. Is there any variation of that sort of program that would be feasible for this game.

Maybe there are ways to simplify and unsimplify parts of a large base as needed to allow it to not be as intense in non combat areas when zoomed out. Not sure on the specifics. But sitting in your personal office on the station and not lagging to death, or flying in your home sector with a large base and having normal performance would be nice. Could it turn into a large single object when just looking at it and then call it in like a bunch of individual objects when needed like if combat start occurring. Then it can lag on demand.

This could be nice in the base creation screen. There is already a simplified view when looking at the loadout for weapons. Could something be done to reduce lag when zoomed out or various things to make lots of parts not create as much of a problem when scrolling around.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Welding(like in KSP.)

Post by CBJ » Thu, 17. Nov 22, 11:59

Not if you want your station to be functional, no. :)

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 17. Nov 22, 20:29

How about an XL version of some most frequently used modules, like Habitats, Smartchips, Hullparts etc?

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 17. Nov 22, 23:21

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 17. Nov 22, 20:29
How about an XL version of some most frequently used modules, like Habitats, Smartchips, Hullparts etc?
5x capacity, with 10x triangles? :roll:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Aital

Post by Aital » Fri, 18. Nov 22, 00:38

I was also wondering about a temporary version. On demand it could go back to smaller parts as needed. Then when unneeded it simplifies or when zoomed out it is turned into a large piece or something. Maybe when zoomed out it has a layer of a simplified single piece that is always present. Then as needed another layer turns to a solo piece and it communicates to update the large single part as needed. Then maybe it is a single large piece until a missile or laser is going to hit it or potentially do splash damage and it just updates the large model as if it were a smaller model under the hood. Maybe literally using current assets. Just reference the existing asset logic and update a large model with the smaller models needed changes and load them into the larger model live. Assuming that is realistic or better performance wise.

In the build room the same could happen when you mouse over or need to see nodes. It could load the nodes as the game seems them highlighted or around a mouse cursor position as needed instead of them always being there. Or maybe to varying degrees based on computer performance. If I'm at 1500-2500 parts and it's only keeping 250-500 parts(or maybe a set maximum either via hardware detection or via manual inputs) actively it could run very smoothly in comparison. Then the active loaded parts could follow the mouse and lesser displays could be used to see nodes like now. Or what ever is needed for functionality. They already have a way to represent the base as it's updated on the map. Maybe that could be scaled up for the build room or similar. Then it can on demand go to more detailed mode where and as needed.

And there could always be a setting for full blown simulator mode if people can handle it. Then lower settings for those who choose too can use a hybrid mode when needed.

Tyranos Strategos

Post by Tyranos Strategos » Fri, 18. Nov 22, 02:48

Only way how to fight LAG is flip seta opposite direction and force time dilatation so basicly game slows down and you w8ting for pc cpu to do what it needs . That way you get lag on demand

S!rAssassin

Post by S!rAssassin » Fri, 18. Nov 22, 06:24

So, maybe just functional, not visual, upgrade for specific module in station? Boso may do this, like additional research.

Tyranos Strategos

Post by Tyranos Strategos » Fri, 18. Nov 22, 06:30

S!rAssassin wrote:
Fri, 18. Nov 22, 06:24
So, maybe just functional, not visual, upgrade for specific module in station? Boso may do this, like additional research.
Something like ship modifications in workshop stations it could work

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Fri, 18. Nov 22, 06:44

Is the performance hit even due to the parts being separate? I thought in KSP the welding worked because normally each part is separately simulated for physics purposes (which is why KSP ships normally wobble like limp celery).
***modified***

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Fri, 18. Nov 22, 11:03

With stations that have 500+ modules the impact is visible.

Performance or not, I'd love to see XL module for sake of reducing general clutter and have bigger clarity.

I certainly need bigger habitats, storage modeules, longer connectors, food, medical, hull parts, smartchips, Solar power plants, various gas and mineral refining modules.

I enjoy station building of X4 the most, but I feel that it was scaled more towards early/mid game, rather than mid/late game :(

I'd be even happy if XL modules would be just a kitbash of existing smaller module part - e.g. you could easily kitbash XL solar panel and XL connectors.

Return to “X4: Foundations”