Player HQ, Boso Ta - love it, or loathe it?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Omni-Orb
x4

Re: Player HQ, Boso Ta - love it, or loathe it?

Post by Omni-Orb » Tue, 18. Oct 22, 16:50

I also restart much!
When I'm in the bad mood he is a horrible gnawing annoyance especially his voice and the way he formulates his words.
And when I'm in the good mood he is inspirationally adoring guide to peace loving science.
Luckily I'm mostly in the good mood.
X4 Is called "Foundations" for a good reason, it is good for what it is, especially for the company size and with the immense support from them.
The next X4 or X will be immensely much better I think now that Egosoft solidified their 'foundation'.
Credence follow stars.

Jeraal
x4

Post by Jeraal » Tue, 18. Oct 22, 17:17

He would be less annoying if, like in every other conversation we've heard countless times, we could choose to skip dialogue. Race rank reward speeches are a good time to get up and use the restroom or pour a cup of coffee.
Brute force and ignorance solves all problems, just not very efficiently.

If brute force isn't working, then you aren't using enough.

ahostofissues

Post by ahostofissues » Wed, 19. Oct 22, 02:11

Jeraal wrote:
Tue, 18. Oct 22, 15:20
NiAypa wrote:
Tue, 18. Oct 22, 13:39
I have no problem with the hq because as others pointed out, it is where and what you make of it.

Stop the hatred against Boso! He is just a lonely boron lost in an entire universe that is not his. No wonder he is a bit delusional! Have some empathy please, cold hearted people.
As for Boso, I have a theory. I find him just annoying enough to believe that the other Boron may have sold him to the Split to get rid of him.
Finally. Someone in this forum speaking sense. Theory endorsed.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 19. Oct 22, 16:23

When I hear "Boron scientist", I think of Mi Ton. That is not a nice thought. Boso Ta won't fill Mi Ton's tank.

ahostofissues wrote:
Sun, 16. Oct 22, 22:49
... 100% useless broken down crap.
There is a fundamental issue in that. For years, players have asked for HQ. Egosoft has answered that call.
If we say "useless crap" of what we got (and asked for), then why did they bother or ever again would bother to read player requests?

A different strategy is to say: "Thank you. Can I have some more, please?"
We might end up with lots of "useless crap", but the more the merrier?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

ahostofissues

Post by ahostofissues » Wed, 19. Oct 22, 17:10

jlehtone wrote:
Wed, 19. Oct 22, 16:23
When I hear "Boron scientist", I think of Mi Ton. That is not a nice thought. Boso Ta won't fill Mi Ton's tank.

ahostofissues wrote:
Sun, 16. Oct 22, 22:49
... 100% useless broken down crap.
There is a fundamental issue in that. For years, players have asked for HQ. Egosoft has answered that call.
If we say "useless crap" of what we got (and asked for), then why did they bother or ever again would bother to read player requests?

A different strategy is to say: "Thank you. Can I have some more, please?"
We might end up with lots of "useless crap", but the more the merrier?
I question the logic of your conclusion.

Just because you recieved something does mean that something is good, wanted or usable.

I would counter your entire premise by saying that if you don’t let Egosoft know when their efforts have missed the mark, how would they know where they should alter their approach/thinking in the future?

Games are unique among all software categories, in that 100% of their value, the sole thing the developers need to accomplish, is Player Enjoyment. If Xcel has a bad interface or experience, it can still justify the cost charged if it fulfills the core purpose of “do calculations, do them correctly.” For a game, just delivering something, anything, that fulfills a functional checkbox is entirely insufficient as a measure of whether the developers have delivered on the promise made by charging you money for their efforts.

They work hard, great team it seems. But I utterly reject the notion that anything they deliver is automatically good enough to justify the money I gave them.

Also: #BosoMustDie

ahostofissues

Post by ahostofissues » Wed, 19. Oct 22, 17:41

PhotonPulse wrote:
Tue, 18. Oct 22, 16:50
I also restart much!
When I'm in the bad mood he is a horrible gnawing annoyance especially his voice and the way he formulates his words.
And when I'm in the good mood he is inspirationally adoring guide to peace loving science.
Luckily I'm mostly in the good mood.
X4 Is called "Foundations" for a good reason, it is good for what it is, especially for the company size and with the immense support from them.
The next X4 or X will be immensely much better I think now that Egosoft solidified their 'foundation'.
Seconded. I restart more than I would like, simply because the mechanics are so complex, and the UI in many places so not-figure-out-able that I keep discovering things that trigger, "well, damn, if I'd known that I would have done things very differently..." And sitting through Boso for the 10th time is, as I mentioned, an icepick to the brain for me. Just shut up. For the sake of all that's holy, just shut up. :x :)

It's a testament to X4 as a game engine that I keep discovering these things, even after 1300 hours of play. It's a damning indictment of X4 as a player experience that I keep discovering these things, even after 1300 hours of play.

#BosoMustDie

ahostofissues

Post by ahostofissues » Wed, 19. Oct 22, 17:50

jlehtone wrote:
Mon, 17. Oct 22, 19:01
Obviously, if you don't play that long ... what is that "Budgeted Start" for restarters? Doesn't that allow "skip" of early parts of Boron dialogue?
Budgeted Start is locked out if you use mods. I resorted to Sector Satellites early on to fix the "WTF? Satellites can transmit to me across the galaxy but a station is incapable of transmitting prices to my satellite unless it's within arm's length?" design problem... so I actually didn't even know Budgeted Start was a thing that existed until you just mentioned it. I've never seen it in the start choices, as I had a mod installed and suppressed it forever, before noticing it existed.

So, yah, I could get help with restarts using Budgeted if I were willing to give up fixes for what are, for me, critically inadequate game design choices. But as I understand it, Budgeted is based on progress you've previously made in the base (un-modded) game. Which I don't play, so have no progress in that category, so Budgeted (again, as I understand it) would never offer me any real starting progress as a choice.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 19. Oct 22, 19:19

So, use Creative Custom starts. No restrictions. And you can bypass almost all the plotlines (except for ToA) if you wish. It's mostly how I play the game, and I restart fairly often, enjoying the early game more than the endgame.

(It's also how I get rid of those d'mnd highway ribbons. Can't stand to play with those things. :x )
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Tyranos Strategos

Post by Tyranos Strategos » Tue, 15. Nov 22, 00:20

Wondering who is doing voice for that small moron .. sorry boron.. becouse first time i heard that small squid talking i didnt belive voice coming out of that fish or what is it .

I have no idea who is his voice , but it sound like some twitch streamer just playing super sonic frontier and making funny noises during gameplay. Always when im Slaying Xenons that fish start demanding my attention..

And hq really hurting sanbox feeling i belive it can be done if u build shipyard and than you have to find some very rare npc scientist somewhere in universe and hire it. If shipyard is destroyed whith that npc , research will be paused until u find new scientist and build or repair shipyard

Tempest
x4

Post by Tempest » Tue, 15. Nov 22, 14:46

PHQ:
Not really aesthetically pleasing, but thats my own opinion (liked X3's "OTAS HQ" better), However, i loved how the PHQ really took centre stage during terraforming projects, also love the station teleportation. Whilst the PHQ is somewhat modular, the large chunks (asteroid, ring structure) are always there. i would have preferred to design my own.

Boso:
Voice acting aside (overal quality needs work for EXTRA immersion, but gets the job done/point across) Nothing against Boso really, he fits the crazy scientist role quite nicely imho, some of his dialogs are worthy of a "sensible chuckle".
AMD 5800X|Gskill 4x8GB 3800C14 (MCLK:1800 for Coupled mode)|Gigabyte X570 Elite F37|TUF3080|Samsung NVME 980 Pro 250|ASUS PG279QE 2560x1440@144

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 15. Nov 22, 15:06

Boso would be more credible and amusing as a super scientist if he could occasionally get one over his nemesis Dal Busta such as by enclosing him in a temporary stasis field, or by incinerating all Dal's post-it notes stuck on Boso's tank, etc.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

ahostofissues

Post by ahostofissues » Tue, 15. Nov 22, 17:43

Alan Phipps wrote:
Tue, 15. Nov 22, 15:06
Boso would be more credible and amusing as a super scientist if he could occasionally get one over his nemesis Dal Busta such as by enclosing him in a temporary stasis field, or by incinerating all Dal's post-it notes stuck on Boso's tank, etc.
“You won’t even know I’m here”

I did find that whole exchange funny. More of that, less of “Assistant! Do I have to remind you…” No, no you do not. Please don’t.

:)

#bosomustdie

Return to “X4: Foundations”