Possibly usage of additional Cache of the currently popular AMD 5800x3D?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

lainio
x4

Possibly usage of additional Cache of the currently popular AMD 5800x3D?

Post by lainio » Thu, 29. Sep 22, 13:54

I've searched around reddit and watched many benchmarks regarding the AMD 5800x3D that has an additional Cache layer that boosts performance for those games that make use of it.
Namely Assetto Corsa Competizione,Shadow of the Tom Raider, Factorio and even Stellaris benefit a lot.
Is it possible for the devs to make use of the cache to boost performance/background calculations?

Would love to hear from you about that topic :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: Possibly usage of additional Cache of the currently popular AMD 5800x3D?

Post by CBJ » Thu, 29. Sep 22, 14:36

While it's possible that any given game might benefit from the additional cache, it's not really something that game developers are likely to be able to actively try and "make use of". Even if it were possible to adjust a game's code to benefit from it slightly more, which is questionable in itself, it would be highly unlikely that any game studio would find it a good use of resources to divert developer time into doing so, just for the tiny fraction of players who happened to have that particular CPU. As for the specific suggestion that it might somehow boost performance of background calculations, I'm afraid that's even more fanciful.

Having said all that, it would be very interesting to see whether X4 is among the games that happens to benefits from this additional cache, as it seems to be a direction that AMD might pursue further in future. :)

lainio
x4

Post by lainio » Thu, 29. Sep 22, 14:44

Ah yeah thats totally fair.
Thank you for your reply! :)

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Thu, 29. Sep 22, 16:09

From what I can tell X4 already does benefit a lot from the extra cache of the 5800X3D, allowing that CPU to perform as well or even better than the Core i9 12900K in some situations. However, this information is based on user reported feedback with some user created benchmarks. The people involved do appear to try their best to keep the tests fair and comparable but due to the limited number of tests it is hard to say with absolute certainty how well the 5800X3D performs.

lainio
x4

Post by lainio » Thu, 29. Sep 22, 17:30

Wonderful news! I just need to find them and see if they tweaked the CPU somehow. Thanks for the reply :)

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 29. Sep 22, 21:12

Developers do not "use cache". Data is loaded from memory to cache and from cache to CPU automatically. What you can affect is layout of your data; data for consecutive operations either comes in from memory neatly, benefiting from caching, or not. Similar to sequential and random access that are metrics of storage devices.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

nalim27
x4

Post by nalim27 » Wed, 5. Oct 22, 12:09

Hello,
I just recently upgraded mine CPU from Ryzen 2700X to Ryzen 5800X3D, rest of PC stay exactly the same and I can confirm, that game got A BIG performance boost!
In Xenon sector with ongoing big battle, FPS was raised from 34 FPS to 60 (in game I have set FPS limit to 60, so i can be even higher). And more importantly, on game map FPS was increased from 15 (what is quite laggy for me) to great 34 FPS - +126% performance boost!
I have all DLC active and my game is quite advanced with 30 player stations and countless player ships.

I will do those benchmark from Performance thread too, but I'm too lazy to do it now :-)
Mine rig - X4 ready :-) Windows 10 64b
CPU: AMD Ryzen 2700X (stock clocks 3.7GHz + 4.3GHz boost), 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 RAM,
GPU: AMD Vega64 8 GB HBM, played on 2569x1440, Freesync2
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCI-ex

CPU before 1.7.2018: Intel Xeon E5450@3.6GHz, 8GB DDR2 800MHz RAM,

Return to “X4: Foundations”