'Space Dust' Explained!?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Omni-Orb
x4

'Space Dust' Explained!?

Post by Omni-Orb » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 20:00

I was drifting around X4 and was thinking about how the 'Space dust' is my guide to what direction forward is when drifting.
And I remembered I saw discussions about how it's not realistic. However, I explained it like this in me:
Space does have dust and particles of different sizes. For it to make sense in the game im thinking that it interacts with the ship somehow,
likely gaining extreme amounts of energy for their size from the ships energy field (Engine?) making them glow.
Thoughts on this?
Credence follow stars.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: 'Space Dust' Explained!?

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 00:03

Like the aircraft physics it is likely there for gameplay purposes rather than realism. Without the dust the player would not have feedback how fast they are moving.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 00:13

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 00:03
... Without the dust the player would not have feedback how fast they are moving.
Not strictly true. There are plenty of gameplay objects from which the player can get speed cues. I personally would love to have the option to turn space dust off, which shouldn't be too hard of an option to add, I should think, since we already have options for aim assist and flight assist, among others. It's not really game changing to switch the dust on and off. I used a mod to turn it off in X3TC/AP and it was great.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 00:42

Imperial Good wrote:
Like the aircraft physics it is likely there for gameplay purposes rather than realism. Without the dust the player would not have feedback how fast they are moving.
Agree with this, however find it's even more important for working out which direction my ship is moving in while I've got flight assist switched off. In particular it's been absolutely invaluable for flight assist off turns while in travel mode, e.g. to get correctly orientated to pass through a gate without needing to slow down to a sensible speed. Personally think of it more as just another HUD element rather than space dust.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 03:13

Nanook wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 00:13
Imperial Good wrote:
... Without the dust the player would not have feedback how fast they are moving.
Not strictly true. There are plenty of gameplay objects from which the player can get speed cues. I personally would love to have the option to turn space dust off, which shouldn't be too hard of an option to add, I should think, since we already have options for aim assist and flight assist, among others. It's not really game changing to switch the dust on and off. I used a mod to turn it off in X3TC/AP and it was great.
There is a mod for this.
https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/16

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 10:16

Older thread on this for your background information.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X4: Foundations”