How do you organize your stations/economy

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

How do you organize your stations/economy

Single large all in one stations producing every thing they need from raw materials to included shipyard.
24%
Smaller open complexes using a group of local wares to produce other wares importing the rest from other complexes/NPC's.
32%
Single purpose stations producing only one or two products including almost no intermediate production, but maybe energy.
21%
Something else.
24%

Total votes: 34

LughC

Re: How do you organize your stations/economy

Post by LughC » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 14:24

Depends, if I'm doing a terran run then it's generally one mega factory + a solar array up in mercury.

I will then build additional shipyards/repair docks and storage depots around the map.

If it's not terran then most stations are only producing 1-2 things.

Mevelios

Re: How do you organize your stations/economy

Post by Mevelios » Thu, 22. Sep 22, 18:06

Option 2; while I do have two exceptions (one superstation in Avarice considering the sector's wealth in resources, and a large autonomous PHQ for all wares) I prefer resorting to smaller stations with a full line of production, with a target product in mind. Such as field coils; if I want a station to produce it, I'd include production modules for intermediary components, and assign the necessary miners to that end trying to stick to resources found one sector away at most (sometimes two, gases aren't as widely available as minerals). Everything else is provided by internal transfers, I never rely on AIs for outsourcing - the player has a heavy influence on how AIs can develop so I'd rather provide to see them flourish, at least those I'm friendly with.

I wanted to create smaller stations with a single product in mind (option 3) but had a poor experience with the management of its logistics. That's the sort of thing I'd do had we a trade route system (reminds of a german competitor, eh?) so I could accurately monitor my shortages anytime I overexpand, but the automation isn't as satisfying. The repeat orders option doesn't compensate neither.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Younger

Return to “X4: Foundations”