die because of a cinematic

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Elhunter
x4

die because of a cinematic

Post by Elhunter » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 00:17

hi there, no english native, i was at full speed going for the gate to the Zyarth Patriarchy space, full of xeno but they can catch me, and boom! cinematic at the door... at the end of the cinematic... my speed? 0, so... i get destroyed in seconds after that... it is other cinematica that i must be ready for? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: what the hell man! i even press escape the second time and nop blow up in 2 seconds

Socratatus
x4

Re: die because of a cinematic

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 09:56

I don't like cinematics interrupting me in any game. I'm playing a game not a movie, especially when in 1st person. I wish there was a mode where the stuff happened and the game just left me alone - if I catch it, I catch it, if I miss what's going on, I miss it. Kinda like how the old Half Life did things: in that a monster might grab someone and cos you're looking the opposite way, you don't see it, you only hear it. I'm fine with that.

RDR2, in its favour, allows you to go into Cinematics only if you want to.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 16:45

A possible, user friendly, solution to this would be to give the player 10 seconds of invulnerability (minimum shield and hull = current shield and hull) after the cinematics end if there ship is being attacked or there is a hostile enemy nearby. This should be more than enough for them to escape or at least correct their disadvantageous position.

It might seem like cheating but I doubt the player will be able to exploit it to gain much. I guess they could use that time to all in kill an attacker, but they can only do this once per playthrough per cinematic and a single attacker being killed is trivial in the big picture of things.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 17:49

Elhunter wrote:
Mon, 8. Aug 22, 00:17
hi there, no english native, i was at full speed going for the gate to the Zyarth Patriarchy space, full of xeno but they can catch me, and boom! cinematic at the door... at the end of the cinematic... my speed? 0, so... i get destroyed in seconds after that... it is other cinematica that i must be ready for? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: what the hell man! i even press escape the second time and nop blow up in 2 seconds
I suppose this is the cinematic where a Tuatara comes out of the gate with escaped slaves... That's a really bad place to meet them as it will bite you along the game. I'd strongly suggest to reload a previous save, go to the Profit Center Alpha sector and travel to the gate to Two Grand so you get the cinematic there. Then you can go on with your life and plans. There are some more cinematics in the game but this one can really be destructive if met in a "wrong" place (like you have). The others can be a bother but they happen in generally "calm" sectors...

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 17:55

Yeah, the handling of these is annoying. I think previously you'd just keep going at your current speed and that was annoying, too.
***modified***

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 8. Aug 22, 19:24

IMO, the best way to handle it would be to simply pause the game, let the cinematic play out, and then the player would resume their journey at the same speed as before the cinematic. That's how pause works, so I don't get why the player's speed has to go to zero. It's most annoying when you get hit by a cinematic when you're in a big ship with a long travel drive spool-up.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Elhunter
x4

Post by Elhunter » Sun, 28. Aug 22, 16:39

Nanook wrote:
Mon, 8. Aug 22, 19:24
IMO, the best way to handle it would be to simply pause the game, let the cinematic play out, and then the player would resume their journey at the same speed as before the cinematic. That's how pause works, so I don't get why the player's speed has to go to zero. It's most annoying when you get hit by a cinematic when you're in a big ship with a long travel drive spool-up.
hello Nanook, yes it will be betther just pause the game before cinematics! :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
dtpsprt wrote:
Mon, 8. Aug 22, 17:49
Elhunter wrote:
Mon, 8. Aug 22, 00:17
I suppose this is the cinematic where a Tuatara comes out of the gate with escaped slaves... That's a really bad place to meet them as it will bite you along the game. I'd strongly suggest to reload a previous save, go to the Profit Center Alpha sector and travel to the gate to Two Grand so you get the cinematic there. Then you can go on with your life and plans. There are some more cinematics in the game but this one can really be destructive if met in a "wrong" place (like you have). The others can be a bother but they happen in generally "calm" sectors...
thank you very much sir :mrgreen:

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Mon, 29. Aug 22, 00:04

Elhunter wrote:
Sun, 28. Aug 22, 16:39

hello Nanook, yes it will be betther just pause the game before cinematics! :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:

The speed pausing most has to do with your choice in the game options (initial menu) to stop when opening menus. If you choose the setting of continue with speed it will "solve" that problem, which means that you'll have to pause the game yourself when you want or need to...

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 29. Aug 22, 00:39

Sorry, not true. I have my game set to maintain speed in menus, yet it still brings my ships to a full stop when those cinematics play. Every time. Cinematics have nothing to do with menus.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X4: Foundations”