Devs, just wanted to say thanks for TrackIR implementation...

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Socratatus
x4

Devs, just wanted to say thanks for TrackIR implementation...

Post by Socratatus » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 18:12

Thanks for TrackIR implementation . A lot of us asked for this years back in the beginning and you implemented it. You might think we all just forgot, but not all of us.

I was running X4 today and realised how much of an immersion factor TrackIr is. Not only does it add immersion, but for manouevering and knowing where you are in a space it's the next best thing to VR. And a lot cheaper.

I also really like the whole 1st person aspect and being able to view your ship on the ground before entering it.
I like the NPC stuff a lot too and picking crew for my ships, etc.
I love being able to add my own pics and name to ships/base.
I love the overall sandbox freedom.
I love being in the spacesuit and seeing my oxygen count. lol.

Also love how well you've implemented joysticks now. I got a new T.Flight HOTAS4, works very well with the X52 joystick profile. Some games (Mechwarrior5) are terrible with joystick set ups, to the point of unplayable. Ugh can't stand Epic.

I love how you did not force us onto a draconic platform. I still appreciate this. I am on GOG and it's why I paid full price right from the start for all your DLCs where I would have refused otherwise for other game platforms (like Epic). I invested in you with my cash which don't happen often.

Etc, etc, etc.

I might complain about a lot of things that need doing in X4, and I will, but I do NOT forget when you implement good stuff.

So just thanks again for this.

:)

p.s Also I hate over-using the word 'love', but I''ll make an exception today. You'll probably never see me do it again!
p.p.s This will probably drop off the page faster than a fast thing from fast town since positive news never has the drama-bait to keep it up. Oh well.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

wrmiller
x4

Re: Devs, just wanted to say thanks for TrackIR implementation...

Post by wrmiller » Mon, 25. Jul 22, 20:32

Very well said, and I agree. :D

I played Elite Dangerous for years, until I realized that they were going in development direction I disliked. So...I am now playing X4 ToA and enjoying it much more, for many of points you mentioned and more.

I do fly a lot of earth-bound simulators using a Warthog hotas and Track IR, so naturally, I use my setup for X4 as well. Works pretty well. :thumb_up:
Alienware Aurora R10: AMD Ryzen 7 5800, 128GB DDR4 system memory, AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB, Warthog HOTAS, VKB pedals, trackIR

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 13:58

Thankyou.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 14:50

What I would like to point here is that the game design does not require neither VR nor head tracking solutions.
Sure you can use it but it brings nothing except "immersion".
At the same time it gives you zero benefits.

For example in some games you need to look around to understand where your/enemy target is, or you need to look aside to access additional ship controls. This is a game design decision to push the devices.
This game does not require it, you can play on flat screen sacrificing nothing.
And I find its good.
X4 is not a destination. It's a journey. Unfortunately in a wrong direction.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 15:20

af_2017 wrote:
Tue, 26. Jul 22, 14:50

I disagree. But whatever. Always someone has to be contrary and act like I'm trying to say the game is no good without TraclIR. I don't see why you need to be such a negatory guy, but it's the nets. Seen this type of attitude a lot.

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 16:03

Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 26. Jul 22, 15:20
af_2017 wrote:

I disagree. But whatever. Always someone has to be contrary and act like I'm trying to say the game is no good without TraclIR. I don't see why you need to be such a negatory guy, but it's the nets. Seen this type of attitude a lot.
Also as far as I remember using map with headtracking solution is not comfortable in the game.
I used to turn off it all the time because it requires efforts to keep the map in front of you centered.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 16:08

af_2017 wrote:
Tue, 26. Jul 22, 16:03
Socratatus wrote:
af_2017 wrote:

Also as far as I remember using map with headtracking solution is not comfortable in the game.
I used to turn off it all the time because it requires efforts to keep the map in front of you centered.
So what? It's fine for me and I'm saying to the Devs "Thankyou!" because it works for me. Sorry if you can't set your TrackIr well enough for a steady map reading or know to use the "F12" button.

But even so why do you feel the need to do this? You feel threatened? You need to hijack this thread to whine? Do you always try to shoot down posts that have nothing to do with you? Now you're getting me spun up.

I was making a positive post to the Devs about something that I, personally, like, but you have to xnay it, because you. maybe go make your own thread and say, "TrackIr I find is no good for me at all!"

And I promise I won't interrupt into it at all.

Whatever, you do you.

af_2017
x4

Post by af_2017 » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 16:59

Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 26. Jul 22, 16:08
It's fine for me and I'm saying to the Devs "Thankyou!" because it works for me.
I do the same either.
It is good that headtracking is not mandatory to play the game.
Thanks egosoft!

wrmiller
x4

Post by wrmiller » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 17:39

Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 26. Jul 22, 16:08
af_2017 wrote:
Tue, 26. Jul 22, 16:03
Socratatus wrote:

So what? It's fine for me and I'm saying to the Devs "Thankyou!" because it works for me. Sorry if you can't set your TrackIr well enough for a steady map reading or know to use the "F12" button.

But even so why do you feel the need to do this? You feel threatened? You need to hijack this thread to whine? Do you always try to shoot down posts that have nothing to do with you? Now you're getting me spun up.

I was making a positive post to the Devs about something that I, personally, like, but you have to xnay it, because you. maybe go make your own thread and say, "TrackIr I find is no good for me at all!"

And I promise I won't interrupt into it at all.

Whatever, you do you.
It's the Internet unfortunately, and idiots abound. ;)

And...he tried to have the last word. :roll:
Alienware Aurora R10: AMD Ryzen 7 5800, 128GB DDR4 system memory, AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB, Warthog HOTAS, VKB pedals, trackIR

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Tue, 26. Jul 22, 20:08

So I've been curious about this....what exactly does TrackIR do in this game? Do you just allow you to look around instead of pressing the numkeys to move the in-game player's head? Or does it allow you to interact with menus, ships, etc? Is there a website that shows what the TrackIR does / doesn't do?
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 16:23

Duncaroos wrote:
Tue, 26. Jul 22, 20:08
So I've been curious about this....what exactly does TrackIR do in this game? Do you just allow you to look around instead of pressing the numkeys to move the in-game player's head? Or does it allow you to interact with menus, ships, etc? Is there a website that shows what the TrackIR does / doesn't do?
Sorry, I would've responded sooner but was trying to stay away from adversarial drama.

TrackIr allows you to look around the cockpit by moving your head which simulates looking around in reality. So, for instance, I have my HOTAS joystick in the right hand and my throttle in the left, I'm flying around a station looking for the entrance, as I fly I can look to my left (by turning my head slightly to look left) and I can see exactly where I need to turn smoothly.

It's much like driving where you need to look ahead before turning in the road, so you see what's ahead first. It's extremely useful for landing and especially useful for tracking enemies or finding them in a dogfight. In some cases it is an advantage in a dogfight, though some do quite well using a mouse as I used to, but TrackIr is much, much more immersive and it FREES your hands to actually drive, like in reality.

You can set it to be very responsive or less responsive so in combat the view stays still so you can shoot. I have mine very responsive now since I've used it a long time. F12 is a good button to know as it is a quick reset to straight on view.

It doesn't track your eyes, but your head movements (with a dongle attached see 2nd vid).

Here is it with someone using it in X4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgDE_isNaCU

And how it looks from the outside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVbWO5v5WJo

I highly recommend it... although Vr is better, but much more expensive of course.

Duncaroos
x4

Post by Duncaroos » Wed, 27. Jul 22, 23:25

Socratatus wrote:
Wed, 27. Jul 22, 16:23
Ya I get it no worries.

That's pretty sweet. My monitor is too small for this, I forgot that although my head moves my monitor doesn't :lol:.

Can the sensitivity be changed? Like small head movement for larger in-game movement?
Playing X4+All_DLC 6.20 Build - on:
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X; RAM: 4x8GB DDR4 3200MHz; GPU: GTX 1070 8GB, Driver v516.94, DirectX 12.0; OS: Win10 Home 22H2 (19045.3086); Monitor: Single Acer S232HL 1920x1080

Duncaroo's Station Storage Estimator

spankahontis
x4

Post by spankahontis » Thu, 28. Jul 22, 03:08

Socratatus wrote:
Duncaroos wrote:
Tue, 26. Jul 22, 20:08
Sorry, I would've responded sooner but was trying to stay away from adversarial drama.

TrackIr allows you to look around the cockpit by moving your head which simulates looking around in reality. So, for instance, I have my HOTAS joystick in the right hand and my throttle in the left, I'm flying around a station looking for the entrance, as I fly I can look to my left (by turning my head slightly to look left) and I can see exactly where I need to turn smoothly.

It's much like driving where you need to look ahead before turning in the road, so you see what's ahead first. It's extremely useful for landing and especially useful for tracking enemies or finding them in a dogfight. In some cases it is an advantage in a dogfight, though some do quite well using a mouse as I used to, but TrackIr is much, much more immersive and it FREES your hands to actually drive, like in reality.

You can set it to be very responsive or less responsive so in combat the view stays still so you can shoot. I have mine very responsive now since I've used it a long time. F12 is a good button to know as it is a quick reset to straight on view.

It doesn't track your eyes, but your head movements (with a dongle attached see 2nd vid).

Here is it with someone using it in X4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgDE_isNaCU

And how it looks from the outside.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVbWO5v5WJo

I highly recommend it... although Vr is better, but much more expensive of course.

Wow! When I've saved enough for a more powerful PC (After 3 years of saving lol) Definitely need a set up that does this. :-D
Ragna-Tech.. Forging a Better Tomorrow!

My most annoying Bugs list 6.0 Beta 4 + [All DLC]
--------------------------------
Nvidium Worshop Animation Enlarge Broken :(
Building Modules causes low frame rate :o
Massive Framerate drops freezing game! :doh:
Save Corrupted Fixed the Crash! :-D

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Thu, 28. Jul 22, 19:30

Duncaroos wrote:
Wed, 27. Jul 22, 23:25
Socratatus wrote:
Ya I get it no worries.

That's pretty sweet. My monitor is too small for this, I forgot that although my head moves my monitor doesn't :lol:.

Can the sensitivity be changed? Like small head movement for larger in-game movement?
Yes you can have it set so you barely need to move your head at all, but it still moves far ingame.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 00:08

spankahontis wrote:
Thu, 28. Jul 22, 03:08

Wow! When I've saved enough for a more powerful PC (After 3 years of saving lol) Definitely need a set up that does this. :-D
Unlike VR you don't need a powerful pc to make TRackIr work. :)

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 01:04

I would like a VR implementation for X4. Not redesigning the interface or making massive changes, just something that I can use to look around in the cockpit when I move my head. I would welcome a cheap and dirty implementation of VR better than no VR at all.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Fri, 29. Jul 22, 01:34

I would too, but after asking over and over again, it's clear the Devs have no intention of ever implementing it. I didn't play X4 for a while cos I wanted to do VR, but there's no real decent VR space game except Elite which is a pain to run for me.

So when I got the space-faring itch, the best I could do was dust off my TrackIr and use that....

Keeper1st
x4

Post by Keeper1st » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 19:56

One thing I haven't seen in any videos or searching through posts is if you can also control weapon gimbals with your head. Ideally I'd want the head tracker not only to look around but also to move the weapon gimbals. Every video of head tracking in X4 I've seen seems to have the weapons aimed straight ahead at all times. I've been considering getting X4 but only if I would not be disadvantaged by not being able to control weapon gimbals.

How I'd like to fly would be:

Gamepad left stick = Pitch and roll
Gamepad right stick = Up/down/left/right RCS
Gamepad triggers = Forward/backward (or speed control up/down)
Pedals from racing kit = Yaw

Thus it's mouse-free flight. Only option for a weapon gimbal would for it to be tied to the head tracking.

Is that possible?

Starlight_Corporation
x4

Post by Starlight_Corporation » Sun, 4. Dec 22, 22:10

Socratatus wrote:
Fri, 29. Jul 22, 01:34
I would too, but after asking over and over again, it's clear the Devs have no intention of ever implementing it. I didn't play X4 for a while cos I wanted to do VR, but there's no real decent VR space game except Elite which is a pain to run for me.

So when I got the space-faring itch, the best I could do was dust off my TrackIr and use that....
You could try X-Rebirth. The game's pretty solid nowadays & has a VR mode.

Return to “X4: Foundations”