How do shields for hardpoints work?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Raptor34
x4

How do shields for hardpoints work?

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 19. May 22, 12:30

So recently I took my Odysseus E into a Xenon sector for some fun. After taking out all the big threats, I was just sitting there holding down O to suck up all the loot.
Suddenly, I saw one of my engines blow up, and going back into the first person view with F1 showed that my shields was dropping dangerously low. Then my other engines started blowing up too.
I also checked and apparently my shield gens were starting to take shield damage too, which generally they are tough enough to regen fast enough to not be noticeable. Iirc there should have been less than 20 Xenons around me, probably around 10 or so.
Which was frankly all really strange as there wasn't any L Graviton turrets shooting at me and in theory my shields which was modded for 65%+ recharge rate should have been able to tank them indefinitely.
My Osaka and Syn otoh were actually able to tank things indefinitely.

So I went to look at some stats:
Oddy E:
3 Engines, 3 M shields covering it.
2 L shields.

Osaka:
2 Engines, 4 M shields covering it.
3 L shields.

Syn:
1 Engines, 2 M shields covering it.
3 L shields.

So, for starters, I assume that 1 extra L shield probably provides enough extra regen though I've always assumed that even a single modded L shield, especially the Terran one should be providing enough protection. Especially considering there wasn't that many enemies around me. Xenons don't use torps do they? Also does each L shield gen only protect themselves? Or if there are more they protect each other too? The encyclopedia doesn't show the shield gens providing shields for themselves, only HP. So is the stat just hidden or is it dynamic to how many shields the ship pack?
But anyway, the engine one is more interesting. In theory my Syn should have been losing it's engines more easily since it only has 2 shields while the Oddy E has 3. Instead my Syn was never in danger while my Oddy E started losing it's engines. Is it because the defenses for the engines are not just 3 M shields worth for each engine and instead it is 3 engines divided by 3 M shields and therefore it actually only has 1 M shield worth of defenses per engine? If that's so for capacity, what about for regen? And would that mean the Rattlesnake is even more susceptible to engine loss since it's 1 shield divided over 3 engines?

Ehli
x4

Re: How do shields for hardpoints work?

Post by Ehli » Thu, 19. May 22, 13:00

I can't answer it all (consider me interested), but I did notice that when I'm attacking engines of a capital (not the shields), then once the shield is gone the shield of the other engines is gone too. This would probably mean 3 shields for 3 engines just means 3x shield capacity combined, protecting all engines. Which means your Syn indeed looses faster compared to the Ody, but due to a slightly different reason, being that it's all just combined.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 19. May 22, 13:05

That's logical. Though it's my Oddy that loses it's engines, my Syn didn't, though it wasn't a rigorous test tbf.
Also I generally use Thermal Disint so I've never actually killed the shields protecting the engines.
I wonder if it's perhaps surface area instead, more engines means more incoming fire, perhaps from some AI targeting thing.
Or maybe it's all just coincidence.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 19. May 22, 14:49

The big hull shields cover just the hull and not the surface elements. The surface element group shields just cover the surface elements in that group and not other groups or hull. Hence, even if you have great hull shielding, once a surface element group loses its local group shielding then you can start to take hit point damage to elements of that group and may even lose them.

Multiple shields in the same hull group act as if one combined shield capacity, but you can play with different faction components in the group to fine-tune recharge rates and delays. Multiple shields in the same surface element group also combine capacity but will all be the same type and faction.

Enemy AI fighters seem programmed to attack capital surface element groups such as engines and turrets along with their local shields so as to degrade capital ship mobility and attack/defence capability. Then they can mop up the main hull in slower time with relative ease and safety, or just delay it until one of their own big-hitters arrives.

Some engine groups are more survivable; consider the Phoenix with 3 separate engine locations as opposed to many capitals with just one engine or all engines grouped close together, which is just asking for a big torpedo up the exhaust taking out the lot at once. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 19. May 22, 15:07

Hmmm... Doesn't that mean the more engines you have the higher the chances that the AI would hit a engine then?

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Thu, 19. May 22, 15:09

Raptor34 wrote:
Thu, 19. May 22, 15:07
Hmmm... Doesn't that mean the more engines you have the higher the chances that the AI would hit a engine then?
Yes.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 19. May 22, 15:09

Possibly, but you can still move with the other two (which might be obscured to the main line of attack by hull and hence protected) - Talking about Phoenix here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 19. May 22, 16:21

Raptor34 wrote:
Thu, 19. May 22, 13:05
it's my Oddy that loses it's engines, my Syn didn't
Syn has a couple of protective hull plates on either side of it's engine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/noe9rlyfiyho6 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Hits on these plates count as damage to hull/main shields, rather than as an attack on the engine. Since few AI controlled ships attack from directly above or below, enemy fighters generally have to be more or less directly in line with the engine to hit it. This can significantly reduce the number of attackers in a swarm which can have simultaneous line of sight to the engine. In contrast Odd-E's engines are relatively exposed & a hit on any of them drains the shields protecting them all. Consequently, if attacked by a swarm of fighters many more of them can land effective shots which deplete shields & then destroy engines.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 19. May 22, 17:09

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 19. May 22, 16:21
Raptor34 wrote:
Thu, 19. May 22, 13:05
it's my Oddy that loses it's engines, my Syn didn't
Syn has a couple of protective hull plates on either side of it's engine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/noe9rlyfiyho6 ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Hits on these plates count as damage to hull/main shields, rather than as an attack on the engine. Since few AI controlled ships attack from directly above or below, enemy fighters generally have to be more or less directly in line with the engine to hit it. This can significantly reduce the number of attackers in a swarm which can have simultaneous line of sight to the engine. In contrast Odd-E's engines are relatively exposed & a hit on any of them drains the shields protecting them all. Consequently, if attacked by a swarm of fighters many more of them can land effective shots which deplete shields & then destroy engines.
Syns are pretty cool. Was thinking of making an appreciation thread one of these days.
Had one with L Beams and M Flak, relying on the main guns for anti-capital punch.
One with 4 SPL L Plas, 4 PAR L Plas and M Beams, relying on a personal fighter to deal with enemies. Though I suck at that.
Now thinking of a mix of 4 TER L Beams and 4 SPL Plas. These 8 L slots are really versatile once I've discovered how good L Beams are.

wrmiller
x4

Post by wrmiller » Thu, 19. May 22, 17:38

My main complaint about the Syn and the Asgard is the single main drive engine. And the Asgard has no rearward hard points that can be used to protect the engine.
Alienware Aurora R10: AMD Ryzen 7 5800, 128GB DDR4 system memory, AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB, Warthog HOTAS, VKB pedals, trackIR

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Thu, 19. May 22, 17:41

wrmiller wrote:
Thu, 19. May 22, 17:38
My main complaint about the Syn and the Asgard is the single main drive engine. And the Asgard has no rearward hard points that can be used to protect the engine.
In my opinion, at least when it comes to the Asgard it is part of the balancing: It's an incredibly powerful ship but can be rather easily disabled if it isn't protected by other ships.

wrmiller
x4

Post by wrmiller » Thu, 19. May 22, 18:31

Rei Ayanami wrote:
Thu, 19. May 22, 17:41
wrmiller wrote:
In my opinion, at least when it comes to the Asgard it is part of the balancing: It's an incredibly powerful ship but can be rather easily disabled if it isn't protected by other ships.
I typically fly my Asgard alone, and have only lost my engine twice. Both times I was taking out stations and I was surrounded by so many S, M, and drone Xeons I couldn't see my ship on the map, and my radar was almost solid red. :) Once the Xeons were destroyed, my repair drones fixed my main engine. If I have other ships with me they usually just get blown up.

Balance is a big don't care for me as I like flying around in a 'I win' ship. I heard way too much of that 'balance' stuff playing Horizons. And it didn't seem to help the game much either. I'm not a multi-player fan.
Alienware Aurora R10: AMD Ryzen 7 5800, 128GB DDR4 system memory, AMD RX 6800 XT 16GB, Warthog HOTAS, VKB pedals, trackIR

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 19. May 22, 19:20

wrmiller wrote:
When Asgard turns, while it is not fast in absolute scale, the engine does move quite fast thanks to distance from axis of rotation. Should the NPC have better protection from the evil player? Probably.

The engine of my Asgard was shot once, by hostile Asgard. I appreciate how deviously long the NPC prolonged the inevitable. :split:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

wrmiller
x4

Post by wrmiller » Thu, 19. May 22, 19:40

:lol: :lol:

Return to “X4: Foundations”