Egosoft, please add the following AI commands

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

tsathogguah

Egosoft, please add the following AI commands

Post by tsathogguah » Sat, 8. Jan 22, 21:24

Loved X3 and X4 is shaping up nicely after 4.0. That said, I'd really like the following AI commands:

1. "Siege Attack" - Ship will move to the range of its longest range weapon or turret and stop. It will fire from there. This is specifically for capital ships attacking stations. Right now this has to be done manually and is very tedious.
2. "Carrier Launch Intercept Fighters" - Carrier stays still and launches intercept fighters at a definable radius (would like it to be quite large, like 100 or 200 km). Right now a carrier on "protect area" likes to charge headlong into danger itself and often gets into trouble. And right now the base "intercept" range is way to small to be really useful.
3. "Intercept - S/M, Intercept - L/XL, Intercept - All" - To function with carriers so you can have specific wings for specific opponents that automatically attack the correct opponent
4. "Formation Move" - The fleet will form up and then move, and even with travel move they will stay in formation and travel at the speed of the slowest member. Really want them to stay in formation during travel so they don't spread out.
5. "Formation Attack" - Same as above, but for an attack. Once the attack begins, S/M break formation and attack but the L/XL ships stay in formation.
6. "Auto-Retreat" - As a global behavior setting if specified X% damage to shield or hull, namely so that damaged fighters return to their carrier when hurt rather than fighting to the death.
7. "Respond to distress calls" - As part a behavior option for "Patrol Sector". At the moment you have to manually do this.
8, "Carrier Patrol Sector" - Carrier will launch each wing as an independent patrol of the sector to efficiently patrol the sector.

Also please add:
-Fighter bays for stations with carrier AI. Would go marvelously with the changes above.

flywlyx
x4

Re: Egosoft, please add the following AI commands

Post by flywlyx » Sat, 8. Jan 22, 22:34

I would rather ask them to start from copy a typical RTS game command system, even a very basic one like Warcraft or Age of empires.
Their command system is way too murky, nobody knows what should be expected which makes it looks stupid.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 8. Jan 22, 22:37

Those commands would be nice to have but I sincerely fear that the state of the AI (not to mention the GUI) will manage to make a good mess out of them...

dmk
x4

Post by dmk » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 09:12

actually fleet should always travel in formation for exception for some groups roles
1. traders(they could have prohibition to travel in some sectors)
2. those groups who docked.
3. possible some new type.

and if PLOT scouting behavior would be fixed we really need safe sector scouting behavior (default order) todo same job.
i.e. scout never gets close to any enemies(especially including enemy stations),
do use long range scanner, does turn "?" marks into proper mark (especially for stations).
if it will be done really safe for pilot(with very good scouting ship), it could require many star pilot.

Insects
x4

Post by Insects » Mon, 10. Jan 22, 23:34

The problem with siege attack is that you really need to give the same logic to the AI factions.
Which will then result in their destroyers steamrolling every station on the map since their destroyers and K's solo suiciding into stations is a huge part of the current balance.

That would then be countered by giving stations longer range than destroyers, which is logical for fixed artillery.
And then we are back where we are now just with longer range and inability for the player to be overpowered vs the AI, killing stations really will require throwing 10 plasma destroyers at them and losing half.

tsathogguah

Post by tsathogguah » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 02:42

Insects wrote:
Mon, 10. Jan 22, 23:34
The problem with siege attack is that you really need to give the same logic to the AI factions.
Which will then result in their destroyers steamrolling every station on the map since their destroyers and K's solo suiciding into stations is a huge part of the current balance.

That would then be countered by giving stations longer range than destroyers, which is logical for fixed artillery.
And then we are back where we are now just with longer range and inability for the player to be overpowered vs the AI, killing stations really will require throwing 10 plasma destroyers at them and losing half.
A good point, but I'd be happy with my heavier ships staying at max range and using only the heavy long range weapons but also only getting attacked by the heavy long range weapons from one segment of the station. At the moment, an attack order will cause them to close in like an idiot and be hit with many dozens of short range weapons and attacked from multiple segments of the station at once.

I'd kind of prefer that the enemy AI attack stations in an intelligent manner as well. Yes that may require some other balance changes, but I'd rather win more "fairly" than just because their AI is near suicidal.

theredman
x3tc

Post by theredman » Thu, 13. Jan 22, 10:59

I remember a mod for terran conflict that added all this type of stuff. worked really well.

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Mon, 17. Jan 22, 02:20

They've built in so much idiocy into the AI that the entire balance of the game is invested in it now. A good warning to eradicate idiocy upon its inception rather than accept it and keep building from there.

Return to “X4: Foundations”