Myth Busting: repair crew

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

budforceuk
x4

Myth Busting: repair crew

Post by budforceuk » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 15:18

Anyone know the facts about repair crew?

I am playing full pirate so cannot easily repair ships.

I know they repair the hull on any size ship, that is obvious to see.

Do they repair modules as well (eg weapons/turrets/shield generators etc?)

And if yes/no - does this apply to all sized ships, or is it different for S/M sized ships compared to L/XL size?

Will they only repair modules that are damaged, or will they also repair them from completly destroyed?

LameFox
x4

Re: Myth Busting: repair crew

Post by LameFox » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 15:26

Well, repairing modules is not a thing on S or M ships. I am also unsure if they repair the hull of S ships, but they do on M ships.

They repair damaged and destroyed modules on L and XL ships, albeit slowly until they skill up. I only use crews to do this, no repair drones, as the drones are very stupid and often get killed or left behind.
***modified***

LameFox
x4

Post by LameFox » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 15:46

Another thing that might be worth knowing is you can repair laser a module if it is damaged, but not dead. So for instance if you have captured a large ship but its engines are too low-health to fly it away (under 30% or so), you can get out and speed up the process.
***modified***

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 16:11

having only 1 repair drone gives high boost to repair rate, so put 1 in your destroyers, that 1 will not give you much trouble when and if he flies out
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 16:25

LameFox wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 15:26
Well, repairing modules is not a thing on S or M ships. I am also unsure if they repair the hull of S ships, but they do on M ships.
The do repair M ships, but for S ships you need a carrier/aux ship or manually repair them with repair laser.

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 16:34

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 16:25
LameFox wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 15:26
The do repair M ships, but for S ships you need a carrier/aux ship or manually repair them with repair laser.
so in other words S ships do not get repaired on frigates or destroyers bit silly.
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

budforceuk
x4

Post by budforceuk » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 17:11

Ok cool thanks guys.

From what I can see from my own research, is that they will repair modules on L / XL ships but not M or S.

Takes a long time though. Pretty cool though, if you capture L size ships and put repair crew in they will EVENTUALLY get back to 100%.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 17:38

Modules on s and m size ships don't get damaged. So never a need to repair them.

For s ships use either a carrier, supply ship or space suit repair laser to fix the hull. For m ships the crew will repair the hull which is the only part that can get damaged.

L and xl all stuff gets repaired. Can capture a supply ship and repair them to 100%.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 17:38

There's no 'damage' on S/M weapons; they're either working or they're destroyed. It's probably a game performance issue. The number of S/M ships in the game compared to the number of L/XL ships likely makes it prohibitive to keep track of all their individual weapons, shields, engines, etc.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

iforgotmysocks
x4

Post by iforgotmysocks » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 20:59

I got a little annoyed about fighters not being repaired years ago. This little script allows repair drones of the squad leader to slowly repair fighters aswell if the leader currently doesn't require repairs. Works with M, L, XL and stations.

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/397

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 21:44

Did you know that where you can purchase and store repair drones on an M ship such as a corvette, even though they cannot deploy since there is no launch dock/tube, they will still assist to speed up your service crew's repairs of the ship from the inside when it is damaged? It's well worth the bit of extra expense in some prolonged combat situations when you may not be able to pop out safely in your spacesuit to carry out repairs.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 22:54

What does amaze me at times is how FAST some NPC ships can repair themselves. Many a time I've been attacking an L-Class ship - preparing to board it - when it's repaired a Thruster from zero to 40 or even 50+ percent in one tick. Even with a full crew of Elite engineers and a full compliment of Repair Drones, my ships NEVER repair as fast. Wonder what their secret is?

Note: ship repairs were quite severely nerf'd some time back. Well, player ships can take AGES to repair a single thruster to functional (30%) state, even with a good service crew. I used to keep experienced service crew in reserve to assign to freshly captured ships, but it doesn't really seem to help much. Also, on ships with more than one main thruster, time and time again the crew will repair one thruster to like 20% or so, then move on to the *next* thruster and repair that one to 20% or so too. Basically, it can take AGES before a ship is mobile, despite having repair drones and a good crew.

I think there's some sort of lag in how things update. I.e. I might be attacking a well-crewed ship that repairs quickly. However, even after making most of the crew bail, it's still repairing really quickly despite most of the service crew having left and repair drones been shot down. There's certainly something a little screwy going on at times.

As an aside, wouldn't it be GREAT if the Nomad - and other support ships - flew TO a repair target if ordered, rather than waiting for said target to fly to it...waiting for thrusters to repair first of course.

Return to “X4: Foundations”