Something I need to ventilate to the EGOSOFT team

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mr.Killer
x4

Something I need to ventilate to the EGOSOFT team

Post by Mr.Killer » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 11:53

After being away because of.... well, I thought I might give some feedback.
1) Stations we own, show a lot of info in the map, too much.
TIP: Make those long green text simply able to shorten them, they hoover over the actual map and this way we must zoom in to select or even look closer (https://1drv.ms/u/s!Avwp7mxyyIGgpnM11IL ... Y?e=pFDDeS) It is too much info at one point. Can not even see if there is a ship being constructed. (I know how to do this the other way too!)
2) Ships, mine and trade etc. are showing now that they can not find any buyers or not within the space they can search.... Is this not simply a matter of letting the captains go farther than given? Are we suggested to plant stations everywhere just to keep the merchandise going? Then after a while there is nothing left to explore!!!! the game has no use further from that point! only fly a bit around, trying to occupy those xenon sectors......

Is that just me or are there others who experience this?
The game is rigged around gates, resource material too, very little we can do after overpopulate any sector besides fighting 0.00001% of my time raiders and xenon....
Not talking about missions, I find those not a part of the game, they throw us of sent... and does not add anything to our capabilities.
Oh, and about stations, I've picked up the last savegame from when I stopped playing, I have 19 stations total and 11 of them that have S,M,L and XL build capability, but almost every one, fully equipped and filled with personel, is unable to even build a small fightership, even when I have almost all blueprints (except terran). They lack simple resources...
Now I know to check this, but I wished that the manager on each one of them stations would act upon this, why else did we hire a station manager in the first place?

Maybe this stalemate is what made me left......

Sirus5
x4

Re: Something I need to ventilate to the EGOSOFT team

Post by Sirus5 » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 12:29

The X- Series is a very "Thinking" type of simulator.

IF your ships are not finding buyers within the space - then either the pilot is not high enough level
or if the ship is being ordered by a station manager, then the manager is not high enough level.
Thus, you need to maybe do some thinking as to how you remedy that - manual micromanagement
or higher level people.

There is normally a work around for most things in X-Verse.

I find that if you break things down to smaller "Missions" it's quite fun....
If I try to do everything all at once, I get overwhelmed - but I pause everything
Run through all the ships that are placing Advanced Sats and sort them out - then do a save.
Then I look at my miners and see if anyone needs anything - luckily my Manager is level 4 now
and thus she's quite good sending ships out.
Then I check missions and choose a mission for the evening play....
Then it's a bit of fun capturing something or building something for a mission....

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 12:34

How did you get such a long list of wares to trade? Is it a mod? Never been able to set my trade filters to show more than 5 wares at a time.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 14:08

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 12:34
How did you get such a long list of wares to trade? Is it a mod? Never been able to set my trade filters to show more than 5 wares at a time.
ehm, playing the game for a ridiculous long period?
I try to get every station equipped with all production facilities to make their own stuff. That's why I think the lists are long... It is silly to make just one station for one product and then ship it over to several stations.... but I might be wrong....
Last edited by Mr.Killer on Thu, 25. Nov 21, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 14:24

Sirus5 wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 12:29
The X- Series is a very "Thinking" type of simulator.

IF your ships are not finding buyers within the space - then either the pilot is not high enough level
or if the ship is being ordered by a station manager, then the manager is not high enough level.
Thus, you need to maybe do some thinking as to how you remedy that - manual micromanagement
or higher level people.

There is normally a work around for most things in X-Verse.

I find that if you break things down to smaller "Missions" it's quite fun....
If I try to do everything all at once, I get overwhelmed - but I pause everything
Run through all the ships that are placing Advanced Sats and sort them out - then do a save.
Then I look at my miners and see if anyone needs anything - luckily my Manager is level 4 now
and thus she's quite good sending ships out.
Then I check missions and choose a mission for the evening play....
Then it's a bit of fun capturing something or building something for a mission....
So, what you say is, don't play in real time, pause everything, check every ship, every personel and every cargohold?
Is this a real-time strategy or a on/off game? .... no sorry, bad example of me, I mean, I would hope for less involvement, and therefor I do not need to check my managers if they do such a great job or just sit on their a**es all day, I mean, when I put a new ship to work in a field of ore, the captain of that ship gains experience, I mean, obvious! but what about a manager? Does this person do its job? even if this position is taken a very long time ago?
Let me check my first station for you, after so many hours playing it has full stars in management, yet there are ships assigned who just dwabble around.
This is where management fails. Either the balance of supplies and manufacturer needs are out of control, or they all do not know what is going on.

Point is, since this message was produced by the EGOSOFT team, did they think it would be wise to make sure a counteraction should be there to help us out? or the manager at least? or the captain of these ships?
And then there is the construction of ships issue, ordering ships from own shipyard, the manager knows or should know what materials are needed to build a ship. One goes out -make sure material are up to level so that another ship can be built-or at least order assigned ships to go find material to make sure ships can actually be built. I know the xenon picks those out of thin air, but we have to actually do something....

Don't be confused about the likelyness of the game, it is overall beatuiful, but it is also very complex, and adding more complexity to it, it raises also problems. That is why we out here try to omit them, cope with them and report them, as do I.

Dj_FRedy
x4

Post by Dj_FRedy » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 14:29

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 12:34
You can edit the number of Trade Offers to display, as well as the Max Price. Position the mouse over the text to be edited in the slidercell. Click to edit, enter your preferences.
"All my contributions to the Technical Support and Public Beta Feedback sections will be concise and to the point, no diatribes, that's what the other sections are for".
Thank you for your efforts.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 14:44

Dj_FRedy wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 14:29
You can edit the number of Trade Offers to display, as well as the Max Price. Position the mouse over the text to be edited in the slidercell. Click to edit, enter your preferences.
Thanks, that's very useful info. I do a LOT of manual trading & getting more wares on the trade list is fantastic. Just goes to show, no matter how much time you put into the game (over 5800 hours to date) there's always potential for something new to learn.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 16:26

Personally I disable trade offer filters from the map - they looks nice at first, but ultimately they obscure too much.

Same with basic ship information like crew etc.

Ship command arrows on friendly NPC ships as well.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 17:06

mr.WHO wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 16:26
Personally I disable trade offer filters from the map - they looks nice at first, but ultimately they obscure too much.

Same with basic ship information like crew etc.

Ship command arrows on friendly NPC ships as well.
There should be an ingame manual or something... This is awkward. And can anyone please tell me how to rotate objects while trying to build a new station.... It rotates alright, but not horizontally.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 17:47

The circle of rotation of the module depends on the angle you're looking at the build plan. Rotate the build plan and you can rotate the module in a different plane. I discovered that with a little trial and error, although I think it was explained somewhere by someone (never did find it myself).
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

jasonbarron
x4

Post by jasonbarron » Thu, 25. Nov 21, 23:49

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 14:44
Dj_FRedy wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 14:29
Thanks, that's very useful info. I do a LOT of manual trading & getting more wares on the trade list is fantastic. Just goes to show, no matter how much time you put into the game (over 5800 hours to date) there's always potential for something new to learn.
For what it's worth that's how my game map is by default, assuming I've explored enough to reveal that many stations in the first place.
Ayn Rand was correct.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 11:15

Nanook wrote:
Thu, 25. Nov 21, 17:47
The circle of rotation of the module depends on the angle you're looking at the build plan. Rotate the build plan and you can rotate the module in a different plane. I discovered that with a little trial and error, although I think it was explained somewhere by someone (never did find it myself).
You have to tell me why you guys changed the way it was 9 months ago? Why does this thing it does right now not being activated with the hold of a key, or a select on/off and then select rotate or something?
Do you people chang often things and leave the comunity in the dark?

Sad....
Ps. and please elaborate this rotating thing, because I can't simply put a small item to my build without cursing!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 26. Nov 21, 19:38

When you say "You have to tell me why you guys changed the way it was...", I assume you're not talking to me directly, since I'm only a player/volunteer moderator, not an Egosoft employee. :P

As for the rotate thing, I use a mouse, so my explanation is to click and drag on the map to change the orientation, then click and drag on the module to rotate it. It takes a light touch and some practice/patience/trial-and-error to figure it out. Once you do, the cursing should stop. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

DaMuncha
x4

Post by DaMuncha » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 05:30

Oh I stopped playing after the Terran DLC came out cause I have a few bones to pick with Egosoft and how they manage patch releases. Egosoft bundle thier Bugfix patches with thier content patches, which are like 4-6 months apart. So a new DLC comes out and doesnt get fixed for 6 months. So theres a new DLC in Q1 2022.. (I MEAN Q3)... and that will come with some more game breaking bugs that wont get fixed till 2023. (Im looking at you Broken HQ Bug from v2.0.) So I pretty much gave up on playing X4 till years after it stopps getting content updates.
Just... another... bug.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 07:05

DaMuncha wrote:
Sat, 27. Nov 21, 05:30
till years after it stopps getting content updates.
So, in like a decade or two?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 27. Nov 21, 10:25

DaMuncha wrote:
... Egosoft bundle thier Bugfix patches with thier content patches, which are like 4-6 months apart...
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Your broad generalization is inaccurate. I quote from the announcement of the 4.20 beta release:

"The focus of this update is on improvements and fixes, so we're not introducing any new features with this release."

There are plenty of examples of Egosoft releasing just bug fixes and hot fixes for all their games.

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Sat, 4. Dec 21, 17:51

DaMuncha wrote:
Oh I stopped playing after the Terran DLC came out cause I have a few bones to pick with Egosoft and how they manage patch releases. Egosoft bundle thier Bugfix patches with thier content patches, which are like 4-6 months apart. So a new DLC comes out and doesnt get fixed for 6 months. So theres a new DLC in Q1 2022.. (I MEAN Q3)... and that will come with some more game breaking bugs that wont get fixed till 2023. (Im looking at you Broken HQ Bug from v2.0.) So I pretty much gave up on playing X4 till years after it stopps getting content updates.
Well, I already had a bad feeling about this unguided assault on things we were used to, so, rotating objects the way it was is changed, and noone at EGOsoft (that's why the capitalizedEGO) thought it would be wise to alert and explain ingame these changes... Nothing changed as a matter of fact, it is still a beautiful game with much troubles that are not addressed neither solved, and because these problems are sometimes so hard to elaborate for us players, they stay there.
I am out again, all X-games
Nanook wrote:
Fri, 26. Nov 21, 19:38
When you say "You have to tell me why you guys changed the way it was...", I assume you're not talking to me directly, since I'm only a player/volunteer moderator, not an Egosoft employee. :P

As for the rotate thing, I use a mouse, so my explanation is to click and drag on the map to change the orientation, then click and drag on the module to rotate it. It takes a light touch and some practice/patience/trial-and-error to figure it out. Once you do, the cursing should stop. :wink:
You guys, obviously EGOSOFT, but hey, they are not here all the time (assuming they even do once or twice) I did not mean you, but you already knew that. The mouse is what I use, in the past, present and future, but if rotating an object 9 months ago only could be rotate at the horizontal axis and now the same action it only rotates over another axis, that makes me curse, because a node with 4 attachable points for one of the tree extenders (God, i just forgot all them names) short medium and large, you know, to keep factories apart from another, when there are four attachables, and you place one without ever doing a thing with it, and the second I want to rotate it so that I can get it 90 degrees horizontally on the second point of attachment, and all it does is letting it rotate over the axis I DO NOT NEED! So in a nuttshell...... Bad programming from the marvelous guys at EGOSOFT.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sun, 5. Dec 21, 02:39

I really don't know what to say. I tried to explain how I get it to work, and I have no problem rotating any module into any position I need. It does take a bit of fiddling to figure out, but it really does work. :)

Mr.Killer
x4

Post by Mr.Killer » Sun, 9. Jan 22, 14:10

Nanook wrote:
Sun, 5. Dec 21, 02:39
I really don't know what to say. I tried to explain how I get it to work, and I have no problem rotating any module into any position I need. It does take a bit of fiddling to figure out, but it really does work. :)
How nice to hear that you have figured it out, never the less, I can't get it to work as it did before.
Rotation is in so much different stages now, and I really don't get why EGOSOFT did this change (why try to improve something that works!)
I took a break from X4 and wanted to cool down for a while, but yesterday I started it up again, went to stationbuilding this time and found myself stuck in the same rotation problem.
If you put a smartphone on a table, try to move it or rotate it with just one finger, that plane of movement is what I need with support modules, instead it rotates like it floats in space. I can not get it right anymore. Why is there noone out there who has this same problem?
Is it in combination with holding a key pressed? a second or third mousebutton? anything? just to get these support modules, you know the ones that makes a space between two modules and are in three lenghts. I am not talking about all the other modules that are not rotatable but only on a horizontal level, like the smartphone idea with one finger. If you still can not understand what my problem is, take a four point extension module and place on all four ends an extension and see for yourself.
This I find remarkable too:https://www.egosoft.com:8444/confluence ... Management
It says Missing Information:
Mostly correct for 4.20 but the station building menu has since changed somewhat since 4.10.
So they admit something has changed, only no one knows how to deal with this, and seeing this is from EGOSOFT, the dumbasses who changed it, did not took the curtesy to give a full disclosure of the changes, so here I am, I can not do what I used to do with module extensions, can you????

Rei Ayanami
x4

Post by Rei Ayanami » Sun, 9. Jan 22, 15:48

Mr.Killer wrote:
Sun, 9. Jan 22, 14:10
I took a break from X4 and wanted to cool down for a while, but yesterday I started it up again, went to stationbuilding this time and found myself stuck in the same rotation problem.
If you put a smartphone on a table, try to move it or rotate it with just one finger, that plane of movement is what I need with support modules, instead it rotates like it floats in space. I can not get it right anymore. Why is there noone out there who has this same problem?
You are rotating around the axis your camera is facing. So if you want to rotate a module like as if it was on a table, do this:

1. rotate camera so you look straight "down", aka now the axis around which you rotate is now the up-down axis, aka you rotate the module as if it was on a table
2. select module you want to rotate
2. hold right mouse button and rotate it

It is a but awkward that the rotation axis is tied to the camera orientation. Personally I'd rather have a rotation gizmo like all 3d modelling applications have, such as this, where we can rotate a module regardless of our camera orientation, but considering we were not able to rotate modules at all around the other two axis before I'd gladly take the current solution until an improvement can be made.

Return to “X4: Foundations”