EgoSoft needs to use better judgement with Use Judgement commands

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Wraith_Magus
x3tc

EgoSoft needs to use better judgement with Use Judgement commands

Post by Wraith_Magus » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 00:17

So, the "Use Judgement" default behavior means that M miners will judge it's a great idea to attack a half dozen hive guards and queen guards. This is a massive pain that makes what was supposed to be an automation feature that reduces micromanagement into something that drastically increases the amount of micromanagement I need to do.

Basically, I have to choose between leaving the "Use Judgement" on, and manually changing the behavior of every single one of my miners and freighters to "Escape" as a default behavior.

I will remind you, the interface for this is godawful, and requires I switch to the My Property tag, find each ship in order, left click it. Right click it. Click "Information". Go to the Behaviors tab. Click the box to make it not the default. Click the drop-down, and click the "Escape" behavior, before having to click My Property again. This process takes about 10 seconds per ship for hundreds of miners. Also, each of these buttons are smaller than they look, and not clicking exactly where you need to means dropping entirely out of the menu and starting again.

The alternative is to set "Escape" as the default judgement... and then have to do this process in reverse to make any combat ship not flee.

There is no excuse for miners thinking that it can take on Kha'ak swarms. Players should, at the very least, if EgoSoft can't figure out how to make Use Judgement have even remotely sound judgement, have an option in the settings menu of every new ship the ability to change default behaviors so that it can be saved that I want miners to flee from combat.

I'll point out that the X3 interface was actually vastly easier to navigate since I could just use keys instead of the mouse, and it was VASTLY more responsive and didn't ruin where you were pointing if the mouse detects a faint breeze and changes where your cursor is selecting, making use of the menu through a. EgoSoft supposedly had to make a new engine to make a better menu to handle the automation features they wanted because they were "just adding things onto a menu that wasn't designed for it", and they made the game interface worse after making the new engine. I could even fly while in the menu in X3, keeping things exciting, but X4 just forces you to pause because you lose all control in menus.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: EgoSoft needs to use better judgement with Use Judgement commands

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 00:36

I have seen M traders try to fight S heavy fighters as well. Honestly civilian ships should always flee in use judgement mode. Maybe an option to set it for all civilian and military ships separately?

copperzinc
x4

Post by copperzinc » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 01:31

Would be nice to have different order sets for civilian ships. Or even better different order sets for different ship classes. (e.g. Supply Ships)

SwizzleStick86
x4

Post by SwizzleStick86 » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 03:45

+1 to different global commands..

It seems to recognize combat vs civilian ships, and has those in some of the global commands like blacklisting, that should be expanded into global default behaviors to, I think that would make managing ship behaviors much easier.
"It can only be attributable to human error."
-HAL 9000

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 06:53

copperzinc wrote:
Mon, 19. Apr 21, 01:31
Would be nice to have different order sets for civilian ships. Or even better different order sets for different ship classes. (e.g. Supply Ships)
This.
At the very least split military/civilian. Though the more granularity the better.
And add an ignore pirate harrassment global order while you're at it.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 08:19

Use judgement also had my military ships fleeing a battle heavily in their favor, so i stopped using it.

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 10:16

Honestly, who would trust the judgement of the current AI? More so that there is absolutely no explanation about what will factor in the judgement. Piloting skill? Morale? Ship class? Equipment? RNG?

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 15:59

Wraith_Magus wrote:
Mon, 19. Apr 21, 00:17
So, the "Use Judgement" default behavior means that M miners will judge it's a great idea to attack a half dozen hive guards and queen guards. This is a massive pain that makes what was supposed to be an automation feature that reduces micromanagement into something that drastically increases the amount of micromanagement I need to do.

Basically, I have to choose between leaving the "Use Judgement" on, and manually changing the behavior of every single one of my miners and freighters to "Escape" as a default behavior.

I will remind you, the interface for this is godawful, and requires I switch to the My Property tag, find each ship in order, left click it. Right click it. Click "Information". Go to the Behaviors tab. Click the box to make it not the default. Click the drop-down, and click the "Escape" behavior, before having to click My Property again. This process takes about 10 seconds per ship for hundreds of miners. Also, each of these buttons are smaller than they look, and not clicking exactly where you need to means dropping entirely out of the menu and starting again.

The alternative is to set "Escape" as the default judgement... and then have to do this process in reverse to make any combat ship not flee.

There is no excuse for miners thinking that it can take on Kha'ak swarms. Players should, at the very least, if EgoSoft can't figure out how to make Use Judgement have even remotely sound judgement, have an option in the settings menu of every new ship the ability to change default behaviors so that it can be saved that I want miners to flee from combat.

I'll point out that the X3 interface was actually vastly easier to navigate since I could just use keys instead of the mouse, and it was VASTLY more responsive and didn't ruin where you were pointing if the mouse detects a faint breeze and changes where your cursor is selecting, making use of the menu through a. EgoSoft supposedly had to make a new engine to make a better menu to handle the automation features they wanted because they were "just adding things onto a menu that wasn't designed for it", and they made the game interface worse after making the new engine. I could even fly while in the menu in X3, keeping things exciting, but X4 just forces you to pause because you lose all control in menus.

I have made this same complaint lately and honestly don't understand why they don't have it like they do on the blacklist commands which is allow you to set behaviors separately between military and civilian vessels. The result for me was by the time I realized that "use judgement" didn't actually work, I had 71 civilian vessels I had to manually change the order for and have had to do this only probably 50 more since then. It is really a pain in the ass having to set my civilian vessels manually to escape every time I build them.

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 16:03

Most miners are probably raging alcoholics. Might be working as expected.

duncan idaho
x4

Post by duncan idaho » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 15:51

I made it default to "flee", which was working great until last night when I saw my fleet of 8 destroyers fleeing *under boost!* a bunch of crappy Xenon fighters that came through a gate while I was near enough that it was not in low attention mode. I'd love to use "use judgement" but as the OP stated, miners have roid rage (pun intended) and will fly face first into a maelstrom of Khaak fighters without a care in the world. If I see a Khaak in my mining sectors now I go on full battle mode, send in a fleet and a bunch of scouts to find that Khaak station before I lose too many miners, because even with the asteroid fields littered with corvettes on guard mode the miners seem to take a perverse pleasure in mining just outside the range of the 40km bubble, or even worse way up above the ecliptic so you can't even tell they are out of range until they start dropping like flies and you click.

Return to “X4: Foundations”