Transfer minerals to station.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

plynak
x3tc

Transfer minerals to station.

Post by plynak » Sun, 18. Apr 21, 20:50

Hello, as it seems Egosoft broke the station miners completely and I am tired of them bringing back ore, when the station is full of it while having not a single unit of silicon, I tried to set up a repeat order for a miner to mine and then TRANSFER the silicon. But there is not such an option, only sell. Am I doing it wrong, or is the game really programmed so idioticaly?
Last edited by plynak on Mon, 19. Apr 21, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

Fenris321
x4

Re: Trnasfer minerals to station.

Post by Fenris321 » Sun, 18. Apr 21, 21:07

plynak wrote:
Sun, 18. Apr 21, 20:50
Hello, as it seems Egosoft broke the station miners completely and I am tired of them bringing back ore, when the station is full of it while having not a single unit of silicon, I tried to set up a repeat order for a miner to mine and then TRANSFER the silicon. But there is not such an option, only sell. Am I doing it wrong, or is the game really programmed so idioticaly?
Unfortunately transfer wont work with repeat orders. I have dedicated cargo ships running energy cells from one of my energy stations to my shipyard that has no sunlight to make its own. And have to use buy and sell in the repeat orders even though technically no money changes hand. And even though no money changes hand the stations that only buy from my own faction need money in their expected budget ......

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Sun, 18. Apr 21, 22:16

Thanks, my shipyard is out of money and I want it that way. But I give up. There are so many things, even basic ones, broken, that I can no longer bother. I mean how hard can it be to program pickup A and drop it at B...
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 18. Apr 21, 22:19

Place some resource probes in sectors with available Silicon. Silicon is available if yield is reasonable such as over 0.5. Examples of sectors with available Silicon are Asteroid Belt (poor, ~1.6 yield) and Family Zhin (good, 6+ yield).

This might be a bug that is being fixed in a future version. Even without available sectors they should still try to mine it based on the current storage levels.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 04:46

plynak wrote:
Nope, no sure order. For some reason, repeat order only allows "Trade Wares", not "Transfer Wares". It also doesn't work with build storage I do not beleive.

And that is why I say, "If the game don't work right un-modded, fix it with a mod."

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 11:30

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 18. Apr 21, 22:19
Place some resource probes in sectors with available Silicon. Silicon is available if yield is reasonable such as over 0.5. Examples of sectors with available Silicon are Asteroid Belt (poor, ~1.6 yield) and Family Zhin (good, 6+ yield).

This might be a bug that is being fixed in a future version. Even without available sectors they should still try to mine it based on the current storage levels.
Thanks, there are plenty of silicon all over the place. Those miners even mine it, but they end up with something like 3000 ore and 800 silicon. And the moment the ore supply drops just a bit, they all go haywire and mine ore all over again.
I do not get it. Never had any problem with station mining before 4.0. Why are they ALWAYS messing with things that are working? And why did they have so many betas yet they release it in this screwed state?
As I mentioned, I am done. Even the most simple things are not working, fixing takes ages and the fix ususally breaks three other things. Sorry to be so blunt, but this is a total incompetence.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 11:32

Midnitewolf wrote:
Mon, 19. Apr 21, 04:46
plynak wrote:
Nope, no sure order. For some reason, repeat order only allows "Trade Wares", not "Transfer Wares". It also doesn't work with build storage I do not beleive.

And that is why I say, "If the game don't work right un-modded, fix it with a mod."
Is there a mod for this? Can you point me to it?

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 11:50

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 18. Apr 21, 22:19

a propper fix would be
1: let us tell the miners WHAT to mine .....and not just let them automaticly mine 3 or 4 resources and than untill one is full ......
2:moving recourses to the universal container stuff ....so that even a transporter can transport ore ...or let transporters be able to transport resources too
3: put a basic command in for traders. to supply a station with get at A dropp it at B

the way x4 handles miners and resources are crapp...cant be that modders have to fix the common basic stuff at all
u want us to pay 50 bucks for the game.. while it dosent even have the basic stuff for a propper gameplay
so far, the only thing x4 is realy damn good at, is the station planning and building

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 12:50

Halpog wrote:
Mon, 19. Apr 21, 11:50
a propper fix would be
1: let us tell the miners WHAT to mine .....and not just let them automaticly mine 3 or 4 resources and than untill one is full ......
2:moving recourses to the universal container stuff ....so that even a transporter can transport ore ...or let transporters be able to transport resources too
3: put a basic command in for traders. to supply a station with get at A dropp it at B
Can do much of that already, without needing any mods. Recommend building something like these stations to help with mining logistics:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajygdwg4fq0de ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Each of those stations in the foreground is configured to hold just 1 type of mineral & 1 type of gas, & has been assigned appropriate miners. Those resources are then transported to my HQ. Using Khaak-proof Hokkaidos for mining & cheap Bolos for transport, each with appropriate travel & trade blacklists to stop them going any further than necessary or interacting with any other faction. No problems whatsoever with mixed loads because every ship in the supply chain only ever deals with 1 specific cargo.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Transfer minerals to station.

Post by Imperial Good » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 15:04

plynak wrote:
Mon, 19. Apr 21, 11:30
Thanks, there are plenty of silicon all over the place. Those miners even mine it, but they end up with something like 3000 ore and 800 silicon. And the moment the ore supply drops just a bit, they all go haywire and mine ore all over again.
I do not get it. Never had any problem with station mining before 4.0. Why are they ALWAYS messing with things that are working? And why did they have so many betas yet they release it in this screwed state?
As I mentioned, I am done. Even the most simple things are not working, fixing takes ages and the fix ususally breaks three other things. Sorry to be so blunt, but this is a total incompetence.
As I already mentioned many times... That is because the miners do not have Silicon identified as available. They have Ore available so only mine and regulate that. Once the station is full of Ore then they try to mine Silicon, but they end up sitting on a lot of Ore as a result.

If you place a resource probe in a nearby sector with a lot of high yield Silicon, like Family Zhin or Asteroid Belt, the miners will identify as having both Ore and Silicon available. Under this case they will evenly mine SIlicon and Ore based on what is currently the lowest in storage. Over time all the built up Ore in the ships will be unloaded and more and more ships will average mining Silicon. Storage for both mineable wares will either end up as good as full (too many miners) or nearly empty (too few miners).

If this is intended I am not sure. This could well be a bug and instead miners are meant to still try to mine for and regulate resources that are not identified as available. In any case getting all resources the station needs marked as available will solve the issue and cause miners to mine what is needed more evenly.
Halpog wrote:
If resources are available they will mine whatever is currently the lowest. As long as your station has sufficient mineable storage capacity this will average all mineable resources to the same storage levels. Each mineable ware needs at least enough storage for all mining ships to unload with that ware.

Currently if a probe is placed in a sector where one of the needed resources is considered available but there are no other probes marking the other resources as available in range the miners will fixate on mining that ware until storage of only that ware is full. As I have mentioned many times this could be a bug as it effectively breaks the auto balance behaviour that will happen and does work very well when all needed mineables are marked as being available by probes in range.
Halpog wrote:
Container transporters are actually worse at transporting stuff than miners. Miners have much better haulage due to their much higher travel speed.
Halpog wrote:
the way x4 handles miners and resources are crapp...cant be that modders have to fix the common basic stuff at all
u want us to pay 50 bucks for the game.. while it dosent even have the basic stuff for a propper gameplay
so far, the only thing x4 is realy damn good at, is the station planning and building
I have no problems running 6 computronic substrate modules non stop in Jupiter. Ore and silicon as good as perfectly balanced. Expanding it to 9 and soon beyond and I highly doubt that will cause any problems. Currently I get Silicon from Asteroid Belt (Silicon available, ore not available) and Ore from Savage Spur (ore and gasses available). Getsu Fune has both Ice and Ore available, however Savage Spur is considered as having more ore available so used in preference.

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 18:37

Please, do not lie. This whole topic is about the fact that station miners DO NOT mine what is lowest. I have 0 silicon, yet they bring in ore. And when the ore is full, they start mining silicon, but like 100 or 200 pieces as their cargo is full of ore. And even if I manualy dump that ore, they make one full silicon run and then switch to full ore again. It was not like this before and it is totaly broken.
Hell even a 6 year child can make a calculation of how much ore is needed and how much do miners bring in and tell them in advance to switch to something else.

aquatica
x4

Post by aquatica » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 19:28

This mining issue has been stated on several occasions with several probes (hundreds, even?) with save's provided.

Shouldn't be anywhere near of a "possible issue" when so many have this. I *had* resources probes a lot around. But the fact that I couldn't turn off their yields was reason enough to get rid off them. Cluttered the map to a point it was unusable completely.
Anyway, in a case of Hydrogen/Methane for example, I had several resource probes giving me 0.9-1.5 for both. Still they *only* mined Hydrogen, as it was the #1 on the Logical View list. Only after seriously limiting it they would go after Methane. I mean I changed the "automatically manage storage" to 1/10 of what it was, so the available space simply ran out. Only way to get those ships to mine Methane.
And at the same time I had autominer mining Methane in the sector without *any* issues. Not even denting the amounts available on the sector, so it's not an issue. Really. Of course it wouldn't sell to my factory, because NPC paid so much more :D

This thing seems to affect NPC's as well, especially Xenon. They don't do anything anywhere. I think it's because of massive resource starvation due to broken mining.

PS.
Station miners should always go for the resource MOST URGENTLY needed. No matter how available or unavailable it is. If there *IS* any, go mine it. If it's slow to accumulate, who cares? At some point they will have their cargo full, they dump the load and notice that "oh, we've been gone for a week and now they require Methane instead of Hydrogen! Let's go mine that high-yield Methane then, Alrighty!".
Now they make one or two runs in Methane, they notice that Hydrogen is running low -> "Okay, let's go get it. No yield but the factory needs it!" selecting the highest possible location for the said resource.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Mon, 19. Apr 21, 23:19

Add yourself a mining base and a ship (or more) with a "repeat queued orders" tasked with supplying the missing ware.
One resource per mining base, so you won't encounter the same problem as with the station.

It's cheap, easy to set-up, and it's a decent work-around while ES fixes the issue.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 00:49

Imperial Good wrote:
Mon, 19. Apr 21, 15:04
Halpog wrote:
If resources are available they will mine whatever is currently the lowest. As long as your station has sufficient mineable storage capacity this will average all mineable resources to the same storage levels. Each mineable ware needs at least enough storage for all mining ships to unload with that ware.

Currently if a probe is placed in a sector where one of the needed resources is considered available but there are no other probes marking the other resources as available in range the miners will fixate on mining that ware until storage of only that ware is full. As I have mentioned many times this could be a bug as it effectively breaks the auto balance behaviour that will happen and does work very well when all needed mineables are marked as being available by probes in range.
Halpog wrote:
Container transporters are actually worse at transporting stuff than miners. Miners have much better haulage due to their much higher travel speed.
Halpog wrote:
I have no problems running 6 computronic substrate modules non stop in Jupiter. Ore and silicon as good as perfectly balanced. Expanding it to 9 and soon beyond and I highly doubt that will cause any problems. Currently I get Silicon from Asteroid Belt (Silicon available, ore not available) and Ore from Savage Spur (ore and gasses available). Getsu Fune has both Ice and Ore available, however Savage Spur is considered as having more ore available so used in preference.
ok first :
i guess in your 1st answer u see the error in the logic or ? swapping ressources when another is lower that the ones that get mined atm ... is dunno how to sa< it .. i dont have words for it ...
the fact that when i buy a miner. and tell him to mine ORE for the station. is resolving EVERY problem .....
so on this way i can buy 3 miners and tell them seperatly to mine ore, silicone , ice whatever .....without ending up in a mess of 3 miners mining sillicone because i have 1000 ore and 900 silicon ...
there is no point of arguing for another solution , or anything, there is no better wqay to avoid the faulty logic x4 miners are using atm ...

for your next answer in case about resource probes....this argument of yours is not working at all...
i have a fiel with 1.7 silicone .... 1.4 ore ...2 miners at my station who needs ore and silicone ....guess what ..ore get mined .. and the minber for silicone is just sitting there and doing nothing, even with 10 ressource probs arround him
mostly i have at every sector with silicone and ore , methan helium more then just 4 probes
i even tryed it with 50 miners ... 100 miners .. there is the same result......
so, to avoid all this mess with the faulty logic i startet to create an ore, silicon mine in different sectors and put than 5 miners to each factory, stopped the production at all, and let 1 ship fly the ore or silicone from the mining complex, to my production complex ( and even this is only working with the workarround of repeating orders, or a mod from nexus ) ( my reffering toi the fact that modders can put on an easy way the most needed basic stuff in game what the devs cant do )
so i guess u see the faulty logic in the way x4 handles things in game.it is NOT possible to tell a miner what to mine ..it is not possible to tell a ship to get stuff at point A and dropp it at point B ...it is not possible to tell a fleet to patrol more than 1 sector.it is not possible to tell a ship to restock for missles ( espacaly a XLship where u want to build a rocket boat ) it is not possible,it is NOT possible to tell a station trader to buy ressources for the station to keep the production running. they cannot buy ore, silicone ...we are hanging there till an NPC ship decide to sell there resources to our station or untill our miners decide to propperly work and do there job, a lot of basic stuff, we should be able to do, is not possible as u can see. and this are just some things i mentioned. basic things,
we got patch 4.0 2 DLC.. and the most important stuff is still broken .. the ming system and the way to get resources ...

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 02:07

Halpog wrote:
Tue, 20. Apr 21, 00:49
so on this way i can buy 3 miners and tell them seperatly to mine ore, silicone , ice whatever .....without ending up in a mess of 3 miners mining sillicone because i have 1000 ore and 900 silicon ...
there is no point of arguing for another solution , or anything, there is no better wqay to avoid the faulty logic x4 miners are using atm ...
Currently, if resource probes are setup correctly (possibly due to a bug), the 3 miners mining silicon due to 1000 ore and 900 silicon will return their silicon, fully unload it (due to being something like 900/50,000) and then move over to ore as it is now <1000 ore due to consumption and >>1000 Silicon. This will give a steady stream of all mineables and if there are enough miners the storage levels of everything will increase. The actual ratio of what miners mine at any given time will average out to exactly what the station needs, usually with most time being spent on Silicon (hard to mine) in the case of Computronic Substrate.

From an optimisation point of view being able to assign dedicated miners could end up less efficient. Say in your example you assign the miners evenly. The end result will likely be the station maxing out on Ice and Ore and being entirely empty of Silicon with the miners assigned to Ice and Ore sitting idle because you told them to do that rather than let them mine Silicon as needed which is bottlenecking station production. With the current logic, if it is working correctly (see what I wrote previously), this will not happen as if Silicon gets too low it will on average assign more miners to mining it.

I do agree that not having control over where miners operate is an annoyance at times. Would not mind seeing that functionality expanded, even if it is as simple as being able to give blacklists efficiently to groups of miners or only for all miners of a specific station.
Halpog wrote:
i have a fiel with 1.7 silicone .... 1.4 ore ...2 miners at my station who needs ore and silicone ....guess what ..ore get mined .. and the minber for silicone is just sitting there and doing nothing, even with 10 ressource probs arround him
mostly i have at every sector with silicone and ore , methan helium more then just 4 probes
Be aware Silicon is very difficult to mine. It is as good as pointless even trying to mine it with ships below 2 stars of skill due to how inefficient it is (they will be at it for a very long time). Giving the miners shop brought seminars to raise them to between 2 and 3 stars of skill will vastly improve the rate at which they can mine Silicon. A single 5 star L miner mining Silicon may produce similar to over 100 M miners with 0 stars. If there is not a resource probe within 40 km of the mining site that is ~50% reduction to Silicon mining speed, even if very skilled.
Halpog wrote:
it is NOT possible to tell a station trader to buy ressources for the station to keep the production running. they cannot buy ore, silicone
It is possible for trade subordinates to buy and sell mineables like ore and silicon. You can assign a miner as a trade subordinate and they will happily haul around Ore and Silicon from your own trade stations to the factory.
Halpog wrote:
it is not possible to tell a ship to get stuff at point A and dropp it at point B
It is possible using repeat orders added in 4.00. Only requirement is that station A sells the stuff and station B buys the stuff. If you own both stations no money will change hands.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 02:56

Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 20. Apr 21, 02:07
Be aware Silicon is very difficult to mine. It is as good as pointless even trying to mine it with ships below 2 stars of skill due to how inefficient it is (they will be at it for a very long time). Giving the miners shop brought seminars to raise them to between 2 and 3 stars of skill will vastly improve the rate at which they can mine Silicon. A single 5 star L miner mining Silicon may produce similar to over 100 M miners with 0 stars. If there is not a resource probe within 40 km of the mining site that is ~50% reduction to Silicon mining speed, even if very skilled.
This actually explains a LOT. Thanks for the tip.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

Halpog
x4

Post by Halpog » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 07:25

Imperial Good wrote:
Tue, 20. Apr 21, 02:07
Halpog wrote:
Currently, if resource probes are setup correctly (possibly due to a bug), the 3 miners mining silicon due to 1000 ore and 900 silicon will return their silicon, fully unload it (due to being something like 900/50,000) and then move over to ore as it is now <1000 ore due to consumption and >>1000 Silicon. This will give a steady stream of all mineables and if there are enough miners the storage levels of everything will increase. The actual ratio of what miners mine at any given time will average out to exactly what the station needs, usually with most time being spent on Silicon (hard to mine) in the case of Computronic Substrate.

From an optimisation point of view being able to assign dedicated miners could end up less efficient. Say in your example you assign the miners evenly. The end result will likely be the station maxing out on Ice and Ore and being entirely empty of Silicon with the miners assigned to Ice and Ore sitting idle because you told them to do that rather than let them mine Silicon as needed which is bottlenecking station production. With the current logic, if it is working correctly (see what I wrote previously), this will not happen as if Silicon gets too low it will on average assign more miners to mining it.

I do agree that not having control over where miners operate is an annoyance at times. Would not mind seeing that functionality expanded, even if it is as simple as being able to give blacklists efficiently to groups of miners or only for all miners of a specific station.
Halpog wrote:
Halpog wrote:
it is NOT possible to tell a station trader to buy ressources for the station to keep the production running. they cannot buy ore, silicone
It is possible for trade subordinates to buy and sell mineables like ore and silicon. You can assign a miner as a trade subordinate and they will happily haul around Ore and Silicon from your own trade stations to the factory.
Halpog wrote:
it is not possible to tell a ship to get stuff at point A and dropp it at point B
It is possible using repeat orders added in 4.00. Only requirement is that station A sells the stuff and station B buys the stuff. If you own both stations no money will change hands.
hmm for your first answer, abottleneck would not happen, since i can tell 1 miner to get ice, and 5 miners to get ore as example.but i get your point
the station trader i will try it with a miner and see what will happen, didnt know i can do that with a miner^^
the repeat order option iam using like this since 4.0 , but i feel its more like a workarround for the get and dropp command
as for the logic with the 5 star miner.i will try this and keep an eye on it.maybe the solution is this 5 star pilot at all^^
thnx for your patience and answers :)

Pitagora
x4

Post by Pitagora » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 09:39

One of the main issues in station behaviour is that they actually "buy" and "sell" from their miners, there is no "dump the cargo and keep mining" as one could expect from an employee.

This lead to a big problem. If you set raw materials maximum storage of 100, buy order up to 50 and free sell after 75 you'll never sell a gram of ore to anyone. Because even your miners will stop pouring ore in your station if you reached your max buy order (50), they keep all the stuff in their cargos until a "buy" window opens again even if the storage in the station is just 50% full.

This is the main issue imo. Even if my miners are dumb and the manager is dumber, having some raw materials to sell can balance things pretty well in getting what the station lack from 3rd parties... not optimal of course but it can be a very good workaround.
Ricarica et impera!

aquatica
x4

Post by aquatica » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 17:17

Also I like to say it out again:

Probes don't work well or properly. If I *FILL* a sector with probes, all giving vast numbers of resources, miners *STILL* go to another resource, even if the same probes show lower amounts. I have noticed it to be mighty inefficient to spam probes, I'll just throw in maybe 4 or 8 a sector if not required.

Also my L-miner of below 3 stars mines Silicon just fine, although he is a sector autominer and not station miner. Almost as fast as my below 3 stars L gas miners (I'd say, 60% of the speed vs Gas miners?). This is ofcourse completely imperical and not really tested or measured, so take it with a grain or a ton of salt.

I've noticed that Chntonios work best regardless with Gas, but Magnetar isn't too bad with Ore's and so on. Seems that on mineral miners the most important thing is the amount of mining turrets and drones, so I tend to fill 'em up. Not a single death has been recorded in my nearly 4 days of gametime, even if several Kha'ak attacks have occurred.

Jholern

Post by Jholern » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 19:32

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Mon, 19. Apr 21, 12:50
Halpog wrote:
a propper fix would be
Can do much of that already, without needing any mods. Recommend building something like these stations to help with mining logistics:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ajygdwg4fq0de ... 1.jpg?dl=0
Each of those stations in the foreground is configured to hold just 1 type of mineral & 1 type of gas, & has been assigned appropriate miners. Those resources are then transported to my HQ. Using Khaak-proof Hokkaidos for mining & cheap Bolos for transport, each with appropriate travel & trade blacklists to stop them going any further than necessary or interacting with any other faction. No problems whatsoever with mixed loads because every ship in the supply chain only ever deals with 1 specific cargo.
How do you move the ore/silicon off of the station?

Are you manually setting up each trade? Is there a way to automate this?
Setting them up as a trader, does not seem to work on my end.

Return to “X4: Foundations”