Future player sector

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Raptor34
x4

Future player sector

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 09:23

I mean Nop's Fortune is nice and all but there are lots of little things that are not too nice about it.
Will we ever get our own full of resources sector in the future like Breaking Grounds?

First I'm imagining a gateway sector, with 4 gates leading into it.
The 1st leads to the Commonwealth.
The 2nd and 3rd leads to resource rich Xenon sectors.
The 4th leads to a currently empty sector.
The gateway sector itself would be infested by Xenon of course.

The empty sector has a beautiful planet on it, which you can terraform and should have all options available so you can customize it.
Also there will be a short plot, which basically involves handing over money, ships and resources so they can build accelerators into another 2 sub sectors. And also clearing out the Xenon in the gateway sector itself.
Either have both sub sectors contain all resources, or split them into liquid/solid so its easier to mine.
And there should be a mini ring of highways within the sub sector too, something like the one in Holy Vision.
Oh, and also make the sector have higher than normal resource replenishment rates.
And finally make it so that Khaak nests/outposts can't spawn there.

grapedog
x4

Re: Future player sector

Post by grapedog » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 09:53

That is the one thing i miss about the hub, is being able to connect my gates anywhere... to create traffic i want, remove traffic i don't... connecting kingdoms end, paranid prime, and grand exchange...

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 10:08

Yeah, the hub is nice.
But I'm not talking about that, I meant a gateway as in a normal sector, not as in the Hub.
Basically I don't want the Xenon directly connected to the player sector, so there is another one right in the middle. So you can go find some Xenons to kill yet they wouldn't cause too much trouble in your sector itself, assuming you block the gates.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 10:56

Haha, or connect 3 of the hub gates to xenon, and the 4th to some faction you don't like, like TER... id love to pump 3 different areas of xenon into earth/moon...

As for actual sectors, more neutral ones would be nice. I wouldnt feel bad for stealing from a faction i dont want long term war with.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 19:59

I honestly would like them to add more "unclaimed" sectors to the map. It would actually be really nice if there was some sort of "exploration" story or game mechanic added to finding them as well. As it is, Aside from Nopileos' Fortune, the other sectors you can claim for yourself kind of totally suck for one reason or another. Either they are in the arse end of nowhere or have very little resources or both which means I always end up basing in Nopileos.

KextV8
x4

Post by KextV8 » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 21:23

Midnitewolf wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 19:59
I honestly would like them to add more "unclaimed" sectors to the map. It would actually be really nice if there was some sort of "exploration" story or game mechanic added to finding them as well.
I wish the opposite. The unclaimed sectors should all be unclaimed for a reason. Either they are a war zone, or have no resources etc. We should have to fight to gain our own territory, or possibly be gifted it as a plot reward from a faction in exchange for services rendered. Or some kind of exploration mechanic as you suggested.

Claiming ownership over a system should be more meaningful than, I built an admin center and a dock here, this place mine now.

al_dude
x4

Post by al_dude » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 21:34

I like either Savage Spur 2 or Trinity Sanctum 7. Sector ownership doesn't matter anyway.

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 21:45

Raptor34 wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 09:23
I mean Nop's Fortune is nice and all but there are lots of little things that are not too nice about it.
Will we ever get our own full of resources sector in the future like Breaking Grounds?

First I'm imagining a gateway sector, with 4 gates leading into it.
The 1st leads to the Commonwealth.
The 2nd and 3rd leads to resource rich Xenon sectors.
The 4th leads to a currently empty sector.
The gateway sector itself would be infested by Xenon of course.

The empty sector has a beautiful planet on it, which you can terraform and should have all options available so you can customize it.
Also there will be a short plot, which basically involves handing over money, ships and resources so they can build accelerators into another 2 sub sectors. And also clearing out the Xenon in the gateway sector itself.
Either have both sub sectors contain all resources, or split them into liquid/solid so its easier to mine.
And there should be a mini ring of highways within the sub sector too, something like the one in Holy Vision.
Oh, and also make the sector have higher than normal resource replenishment rates.
And finally make it so that Khaak nests/outposts can't spawn there.
I'm using Getsu Fune for that purpose.
-1 gate to terran space
-1 gate to commonwealth space, even if it's a "danger zone"
-1 gate to terran space
-only 2 gates away from the highway ring
-All resources are within 1 gate distance
-No population at first, but you can eventually fix this by terraforming

The big problem is it does not stay "unclaimed" for very long after the game starts. I had to use a bunch of underhand tactics to... liberate it... while maintaining a decent relation with ANT.
Another issue is even though you end up owning the place, ANT and TER will build in like crazy, and have quite the military presence. I don't mind it, but others might.
For me, the biggest problem is the only way to commonwealth space is through a danger zone. It's not really an issue, unless you want your M ships to mine there. Then you have to make sure to spend as little time as possible in The Void.
I teleport around it.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

MHDriver
x4

Post by MHDriver » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 23:54

I prefer the light blue skies of Wretched Skies and just wait for the Xenon to destroy all the Zyarth defense platforms then I move in. Xenon love to attack Zyarth.. The only real benefit to sector control is you don't have to pay for build plots and the police stop harassing your ships..

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 00:09

grapedog wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 10:56
Haha, or connect 3 of the hub gates to xenon, and the 4th to some faction you don't like, like TER... id love to pump 3 different areas of xenon into earth/moon...

As for actual sectors, more neutral ones would be nice. I wouldnt feel bad for stealing from a faction i dont want long term war with.
You still have Xenons in your game? I guess you play modded.

grapedog
x4

Post by grapedog » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 00:12

rene6740 wrote:
Fri, 16. Apr 21, 00:09
grapedog wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 10:56

You still have Xenons in your game? I guess you play modded.
no, vanilla. why would i need to be modded to have xenon?

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 00:18

Because in my game, there wouldn’t be any xenon sectors if I wouldn’t prevent factions from invading them or taking over sectors by blocking ownership change with an admin module. I even blocked ship productions of npc‘s. Lots of people have the same issue that xenons are just too weak to stand a chance.

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 00:34

The old concept for "player sector" would be flawed in X4. Any sector can be a player sector. Some of them are harder to obtain because of the obstructions (eg, lots of npc stations).

rubahax4
x4

Post by rubahax4 » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 07:27

Well, again, this difficult choice: for a peaceful and calm economy - your own home sector; for a brave and adventurous player - any sector, preferably a different sector in different starts.
For me personally, at the 10th start, the home sector "Big Exchange" has already become boring. Starting each new game - there is no variety, and survival in a new unknown place.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 10:01

strategically Family Zhin is imho where its at, if you control that sector you can either pacify/protect/project huge sections of the map.

Its only real down sides is:
- you need to be more self sufficient compared to say Grand Exchange
- the sector itself is kind of dull and functional, its not what I'd call a boutique sector
- long way to Terran space if needed, but scout ships and teleport kind of offset that

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 06:37

KextV8 wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 21:23
Midnitewolf wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 19:59
I honestly would like them to add more "unclaimed" sectors to the map. It would actually be really nice if there was some sort of "exploration" story or game mechanic added to finding them as well.
I wish the opposite. The unclaimed sectors should all be unclaimed for a reason. Either they are a war zone, or have no resources etc. We should have to fight to gain our own territory, or possibly be gifted it as a plot reward from a faction in exchange for services rendered. Or some kind of exploration mechanic as you suggested.

Claiming ownership over a system should be more meaningful than, I built an admin center and a dock here, this place mine now.
I am actually fine with that to be honest. One of the biggest things missing from this game and preventing it from being a true sandbox experience is the lack of meaningful territory control and diplomacy. I have zero issue having to fight for territory but I want that fight to mean more than a green border around the sector. I want to be able to restrict access to the resources in that sector to me only, to be able to capture and take possession of enemy stations in the sector I control. To be able to restrict right of passage through my sector. The ability to say who an who cannot build a station in my sector. The ability to enforce the peace in my sector, the ability to tax stations, change tolls at gates I own, etc, etc, etc. I also want dynamic wars where faction can and will declare war on the player once they claim their own sector and I want the ability to both declare war and negotiate peace. Basically the tool required to play an emerging, "Sandbox" experience sans story which only serves to restrict and limit the emerging gameplay that can only exist in a true sandbox. That is the game I would love to play, but.........

We don't have that so working within the frameworks of the existing game we have, more unclaimed sectors as good or even possible better than NF would be better than nothing.

Return to “X4: Foundations”