Can we start to polish the game after 4.0?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Witzzard
x4

Re: Can we start to polish the game after 4.0?

Post by Witzzard » Wed, 14. Apr 21, 23:03

Well ... that's definately true. A Shift + Click is much more commonly used for queuing commands. Though i think it works a tad better for traders - so maybe a toggle switch here instead of a direct change to an input change? As we're clearly landing in huge long lists (even for the commands i proposed) to scroll through otherwise?

FatalKeks
x4

Post by FatalKeks » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 01:08

A lot of great stuff here! I hope at least some of the suggestions make it into the game.

If I had to pick 3, I would pick :

1. Adding immediately executable orders
2. An order for patrol ships to react to threats in sector ("Reaction Force")
3. Bomber role for fighters

Also I would like to see a "Board"-like convenience function for attacking stations. Like:

Step 1: Move in position (same as coordinated attack)

Step 2: Disable Turrets and Drones/Ships
-> Assign the ships which should target turrets (probably mostly fighters/bombers)
-> Asssign the ships which should target drones/ships (cannonships and fighters)

Step 3: Attack modules
-> Assign/Allow L/XL-Ships to move in

Pares
x4

Post by Pares » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 08:45

Midnitewolf wrote:
Wed, 14. Apr 21, 21:51
Honestly there are probably at least a half dozen other relatively easy fixes and additions
Well... how easy is something to change or add depends on the quality, maintainability and extendability of the source code. There are many things that look trivial to fix to me from the outside (like adding a captain directly to a captainless ship from the upgrade menu, or transfering wares between captainless ships), yet they are in the game from 1.0. So I can only hope it's because of the small team + priorities (and maybe incomprehensible design decisions), and not because of spaghetti/ravioli/lasagna code...

capitalduty

Post by capitalduty » Thu, 15. Apr 21, 23:13

Agreed with most things on OP.

I would love Egosoft look into mod that does Subsystem Targeting Orders. Is possible officialize some of his content?...this could really add big new layer of gameplay for fight oriented players.

Can we please add new attack commands for capital ships:

-"Bombard target" from a set distance and maintaining range and orientation.
-"Assault target" Close in at full speed.

Can we please add direct orders as quick commands for our squadron:

-Fleet attack my target.
-Fleet defend me.
-Fleet escape battle.
-Fleet target subsystems.

Can we please review the entire flee order...doesn't work well IS.

Can we please add order to deploy or dock repairing drones?

Can we have a rebalance of missile storage on supply ships so the can properly rearm missiles of fleet?

Can we please make that capital ships target by default other capital ships first when directed by a general attack order?

Can we please add turret custom behaviours? (as example: target missiles then fighters then medium then capital similar as X3 AP)

Thanks for making X games...X4 is gonna be the best one in the series because all your hard work!!

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 00:24

Pares wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 08:45
Midnitewolf wrote:
Honestly there are probably at least a half dozen other relatively easy fixes and additions
Well... how easy is something to change or add depends on the quality, maintainability and extendability of the source code. There are many things that look trivial to fix to me from the outside (like adding a captain directly to a captainless ship from the upgrade menu, or transfering wares between captainless ships), yet they are in the game from 1.0. So I can only hope it's because of the small team + priorities (and maybe incomprehensible design decisions), and not because of spaghetti/ravioli/lasagna code...
Problem is they just keep adding new bugged features instead of fixing the existing ones in the first place. Just look at what a mess 4.0 and CoH was. CoH reintroduced bugs that were fixed in previous versions...

rubahax4
x4

Post by rubahax4 » Fri, 16. Apr 21, 09:09

Egosoft has managed to create a great map and great station building, also a real economy. I think this is a great achievement.
All that remains is to improve the Artificial Intelligence, especially the combat one. It is difficult, but it is very important, and it is necessary to focus all your efforts on it first of all.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Sat, 17. Apr 21, 20:26

Pares wrote:
Thu, 15. Apr 21, 08:45
Midnitewolf wrote:
Here is the thing. Most of what everyone has asked for here, has actually be done by Modders. If a modder can do it in their spare time when not doing their real job, why the hell can't the developers do it when it is their real job? I mean the "immediate Orders" I am practically begging for was a mod at one point, right up until the guy who created it got bored with the game and stopped updating it. Surely the devs could add it into the game pretty easily.

No the reason we don't have this stuff is because the Director, who probably never even played the game, decided it wouldn't be profitable and what they need to do is add more content they can sell. I am a realist, I get it and understand it and this is why I keep suggesting Egosoft creates an "X4: Remastered" version of the game which focuses on all the things players have been asking for and/or causing them issues and frustrations. The maybe add in a few token new content pieces and sell the remastered version at full price.

Return to “X4: Foundations”