What is the point of going behind the gate to cross it?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jojorne
x4

What is the point of going behind the gate to cross it?

Post by jojorne » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 20:16

I have a small fleet of M ships and every time they go through a gate, they cross through from the back. They all fly slowly and together all the time, so when they reach the gate, they are already together, no reason to wait, but... They insist on going behind the gate to cross it. Kinda kinky... They take a long time to cross because they have to fully stop and turn 180º first. I mean, I thought the point was to wait for the fleet, right? I don't see this kind of behavior in X Rebirth though.

Rastuasi
x4

Re: What is the point of going behind the gate to cross it?

Post by Rastuasi » Fri, 9. Apr 21, 22:33

They only go through one way, so if you're coming from the back, ofc they'll go on around to the proper side.

Sattler_Norbert
x4

Post by Sattler_Norbert » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 12:27

Maybe to preempt collissions with ships coming out of the gate.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 12:32

Sattler_Norbert gave the reason, although the collision risks are somewhat less now that capitals do a mini-jump when near gates. In X Rebirth, capital ships certainly used the backs of gates to enter them, for very similar reasons.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 12:35

Poor AI navigation.. Easier to make them teleport than to fly through the gate.

Even though the gate is big enough to send through about 50 destroyers at once.

Bad AI is just the bane of X4 sadly.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 12:38

I'm unsure how that relates to the OP's question about M ship formations.

jojorne
x4

Post by jojorne » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 12:59

Sattler_Norbert wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 12:27
Maybe to preempt collisions with ships coming out of the gate.
Oh! Okay, thanks. Welp, now I know why you need to cross it slowly... xD

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 17:42

taztaz502 wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 12:35

Yes because getting AI to navigate in a totally 3D environment is a breeze and they should have perfected it by now. By all means, show them how its done. I mean they clearly never put much thought into the process having only been in the business for over 25 years. :roll:
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 17:47

taztaz502 wrote:
Would you please post a screenshot after you have put 50 Odysseus inside (inactive) Gate ring?

In X3 about four S/M ships could pass a Gate simultaneously. They did always appear from the "upper" side of the Gate. Ships that did fly to Gate did aim for the "lower" side, and they did that slowly.

X4, before 4.0, L/XL did fly to the "backside" and the flew into the Gate from "behind". That made sense for collision; all big ship traffic at Gate was one-directional. The S/M usually fly to the front, even at full travel speed. It could be that if they miss, then they hit breaks and are behind the Gate.

This new L/XL "jump" in 4.0 ... Asgard was near Gate (having recently entered the sector). A Builder did jump in too. With speed. For a moment the models were superimposed, but managed to untangle without damage. :o (This might have been before HF3.)
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:00

taztaz502 wrote:

The AI is about as good as what your cpu can handle.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:04

jlehtone wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 17:47
taztaz502 wrote:
Would you please post a screenshot after you have put 50 Odysseus inside (inactive) Gate ring?

In X3 about four S/M ships could pass a Gate simultaneously. They did always appear from the "upper" side of the Gate. Ships that did fly to Gate did aim for the "lower" side, and they did that slowly.

X4, before 4.0, L/XL did fly to the "backside" and the flew into the Gate from "behind". That made sense for collision; all big ship traffic at Gate was one-directional. The S/M usually fly to the front, even at full travel speed. It could be that if they miss, then they hit breaks and are behind the Gate.

This new L/XL "jump" in 4.0 ... Asgard was near Gate (having recently entered the sector). A Builder did jump in too. With speed. For a moment the models were superimposed, but managed to untangle without damage. :o (This might have been before HF3.)
And I am thankful that Egosoft finally removed collision damage.

Midnitewolf

Post by Midnitewolf » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 22:10

Sattler_Norbert wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 12:27
Maybe to preempt collissions with ships coming out of the gate.
The odd thing is, when I am using Autopilot, which is AI controlled movement, they have no issues using the gate correctly and I rarely see collisions. Also, form what I have been told, when your OOS, nothing is rendered anyway so why would there be collisions in the first place? OOS ships should just clip through each other, problem solved.

Personally my tinfoil hat theory is that the dev or devs behind the design decisions in this game are secretly sadists and design their game with systems specially created to illicit the most rage, frustration and tears possible, then this cabal of evil devs, come to the forums and revel in all the posts of outrage and sheer frustration that the players are going though :P

Honestly I can't explain it otherwise cause even I am an idiot with no programing experience can figure out ways to make things like "defend a position" work with 3 clicks rather than 10 clicks involving, 2-3 menus <sigh> :lol:

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 12:18

Slashman wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 17:42
taztaz502 wrote:

Yes because getting AI to navigate in a totally 3D environment is a breeze and they should have perfected it by now. By all means, show them how its done. I mean they clearly never put much thought into the process having only been in the business for over 25 years. :roll:
Would you fix a brand new car if it turned up broken? and yeah 25 years of one foot forward 20 steps back even space invaders managed to get their ships to fly in formation. :lol:

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 13:11

jlehtone wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 17:47
taztaz502 wrote:
I wreckon i could fit 50+ Osaka in there and still have space for about 30 asgards. :lol:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 2453800843

Slashman
x4

Post by Slashman » Mon, 12. Apr 21, 15:26

taztaz502 wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 12:18
Slashman wrote:
taztaz502 wrote:

Would you fix a brand new car if it turned up broken? and yeah 25 years of one foot forward 20 steps back even space invaders managed to get their ships to fly in formation. :lol:
Space invaders which takes place in an entirely 2d plain. Surely that must equal a fully realized 3d universe with everything thrown in. Gah! Why didn't I think of that. Space Invaders! Of course. The answer was there all along...how could Egosoft be so blind and not see it? :gruebel:
If you want a different perspective, stand on your head.

taztaz502
x4

Post by taztaz502 » Mon, 12. Apr 21, 15:57

Slashman wrote:
Mon, 12. Apr 21, 15:26
taztaz502 wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 12:18
Slashman wrote:

Space invaders which takes place in an entirely 2d plain. Surely that must equal a fully realized 3d universe with everything thrown in. Gah! Why didn't I think of that. Space Invaders! Of course. The answer was there all along...how could Egosoft be so blind and not see it? :gruebel:
sounds almost as stupid as your suggestion of coding the game myself.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 12. Apr 21, 16:09

Enough of the arguments thanks.

Return to “X4: Foundations”