On Mining, works fine for me

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ubuntufreakdragon
x4

Re: On Mining, works fine for me

Post by ubuntufreakdragon » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 16:38

How many miners do you use for 6 computronic substrate modules?
My X3 Mods

XRebirth, things left to patch:
In General; On Firing NPC's; In De Vries; Out Of Zone; And the Antiwishlist

Stein_backstabber

Post by Stein_backstabber » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 17:49

Imperial Good wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 15:40
As I mentioned in previous posts. The problem people have with mining silicon only is due to silicon being registered as available while ore is not. The miners then fixate on mining silicon until silicon storage is full, in which case they start trying to mine ore but most fail to do so due to being full with silicon.

A DLC based example is imagine building a computronic substrate factory in Jupiter. A resource probe is deposited in Asteroid Belt. Asteroid belt has sufficient silicon to register it as available however the levels or ore are too low so the sector does not get registered as available for ore. As such the station runs out of ore, due to no ore being registered as available, fills up with silicon and occasionally sends a miner to get some ore from Asteroid Belt. In this example the simplest solution is to drop a resource probe in Getsu Fune or Savage Spur since those have sufficient levels of ore to register ore as available. With both ore and silicon being registered available the station will balance its miners to mining both based on which is currently the lowest in storage. With sufficient storage and mining fleet both mineables will be kept balanced and the factory will operate continuously. Using this approach I have 6 computronic substrate modules running all the time and am in the process of expanding it to 9.
So is the sector info wrong?

Where can one see this data?

Res probes are all showing ore and silicon for me.

Sector info tab in grand exchange I shows 26000k ore, 20000k silicon. Miners pile instead into Holy vision with 936k ore and 1007k silicon respectively. Factory is based on Grand Exchange I

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 17:56

Stein_backstabber wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 17:49
Imperial Good wrote:
As I mentioned in previous posts. The problem people have with mining silicon only is due to silicon being registered as available while ore is not. The miners then fixate on mining silicon until silicon storage is full, in which case they start trying to mine ore but most fail to do so due to being full with silicon.

A DLC based example is imagine building a computronic substrate factory in Jupiter. A resource probe is deposited in Asteroid Belt. Asteroid belt has sufficient silicon to register it as available however the levels or ore are too low so the sector does not get registered as available for ore. As such the station runs out of ore, due to no ore being registered as available, fills up with silicon and occasionally sends a miner to get some ore from Asteroid Belt. In this example the simplest solution is to drop a resource probe in Getsu Fune or Savage Spur since those have sufficient levels of ore to register ore as available. With both ore and silicon being registered available the station will balance its miners to mining both based on which is currently the lowest in storage. With sufficient storage and mining fleet both mineables will be kept balanced and the factory will operate continuously. Using this approach I have 6 computronic substrate modules running all the time and am in the process of expanding it to 9.

Sector info is somewhat misleading because it shows all in sectors rather than density.
With that said I'm curious as to what registers as sufficient. A quick check in my game shows that native resources in the Belt is around 0.46 for Ore and 1.4 for Silicon, which kinda falls in line, but does that mean that densities below 1.0 is considered as insufficient? If so it seems that a lot of areas while technically containing a lot of resources are practically speaking starved because of how low the densities are. Unless they are hiding high density areas out of bounds which seems unlikely.

Stein_backstabber

Post by Stein_backstabber » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 18:51

Raptor34 wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 17:56
Stein_backstabber wrote:
Imperial Good wrote:

Sector info is somewhat misleading because it shows all in sectors rather than density.
With that said I'm curious as to what registers as sufficient. A quick check in my game shows that native resources in the Belt is around 0.46 for Ore and 1.4 for Silicon, which kinda falls in line, but does that mean that densities below 1.0 is considered as insufficient? If so it seems that a lot of areas while technically containing a lot of resources are practically speaking starved because of how low the densities are. Unless they are hiding high density areas out of bounds which seems unlikely.
Left that last factory running whilst AFK and it eventually sorted itself out. Answer appears to be ALL THE MINERS

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 18:59

Stein_backstabber wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 18:51
Raptor34 wrote:
Stein_backstabber wrote:

Left that last factory running whilst AFK and it eventually sorted itself out. Answer appears to be ALL THE MINERS
That's inefficient. The answer is mining stations where you can control what exactly they are mining. I've accidentally filled around 9 L solid containers full of Silicon in The Void, so now I'm adding more traders to it to move it to my complexes. I'll need to check back later to see how my other complexes are fairing, but I do have iirc 16 Computronics and around 24+ Silicon Carbides in AB and Segaris, so now I should in theory just need to get more traders to move all that Silicon around.
I used a bunch of L miners, but after taking some advise supplemented it with Alligators running SPL Mk3 Combats with all mining gear along with ignore attack behaviors.

Raevyan
x4

Post by Raevyan » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:02

Imperial Good wrote:

So you basically say resource probes are required although Bernd Said on multiple occasions that they are OPTIONAL?

Raptor34 wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 18:59

That's inefficient. The answer is mining stations where you can control what exactly they are mining. I've accidentally filled around 9 L solid containers full of Silicon in The Void, so now I'm adding more traders to it to move it to my complexes. I'll need to check back later to see how my other complexes are fairing, but I do have iirc 16 Computronics and around 24+ Silicon Carbides in AB and Segaris, so now I should in theory just need to get more traders to move all that Silicon around.
I used a bunch of L miners, but after taking some advise supplemented it with Alligators running SPL Mk3 Combats with all mining gear along with ignore attack behaviors.
For what do you need so many computronic substrate and silicon carbides?^^

Stein_backstabber

Post by Stein_backstabber » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:11

Raptor34 wrote:
Stein_backstabber wrote:
Raptor34 wrote:

I have virtually no joy with (auto)station traders and the micro of manually doing so is not appealing. It's less effort to simply toss ships and storage at the issue allowing me to focus elsewhere.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:21

rene6740 wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:02
For what do you need so many computronic substrate and silicon carbides?^^
I used to build 16 Claytronics, so I thought I'll need that many here too.
More practically the way I built them is a central pillar and the rest surround it, so 2 8 Computronics factories.
Now I just build single fabs.
Stein_backstabber wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:11
Raptor34 wrote:
Stein_backstabber wrote:
I have virtually no joy with (auto)station traders and the micro of manually doing so is not appealing. It's less effort to simply toss ships and storage at the issue allowing me to focus elsewhere.
I don't do it manually though. I also don't go around restricting trade, I basically just toss ships and storage at it too except I don't have to worry about Ore clogging up my Silicon miners and vice versa.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sat, 10. Apr 21, 21:43

ubuntufreakdragon wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 16:38
How many miners do you use for 6 computronic substrate modules?
60 odd. Could get away with much less if I was not challenging myself to Terran loadouts only. Split engines and possibly even ships mine much more efficiently.
Stein_backstabber wrote:
It is not wrong, just it does not mention the resources that are determined to be available. Instead it mentions the total available resources which might be very large but impractical to mine such as Asteroid Belt for Ore.
Stein_backstabber wrote:
Trial and error. If miners suddenly start working as expected and mining in that sector over other sectors then it is considered as being available or being better than other sectors.
rene6740 wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 19:02
So you basically say resource probes are required although Bernd Said on multiple occasions that they are OPTIONAL?
They seem optional if all you plan is 1-2 computronic substrate. Even then you need to make sure to not use any so that no wares are marked as available.

If you plan to strip mine Asteroid Belt to fuel the Silicon for many computronic substrate productions then resource probes are pretty much required.

Stein_backstabber

Post by Stein_backstabber » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 00:10

That is monumentally frustrating as a player though :sceptic:

A functionally fictional/worthless UI....not cool

Lazybun
x4

Post by Lazybun » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:13

Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 15:31
This is entirely incorrect. It is the station manager that tells the miners what to mine. And even with a 5 star manager, my miners were all going to get silicon and almost entirely ignoring ore, even though the station was full up on silicon and completely out of ore, and there was a massive need for ore.
Including the post below, this is basically what happens as i see it

It mostly happens for me when lower level miners get stuck at mining silicon, ending up with situation where majority of miners finally finished filling cargohold with silicon but station is already full.

My(working) solution avoids this issue by making a mid-point for mining, separately for ore and silicon. It also allows you to supply multiple factories from single mining outpost.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:18

Lazybun wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:13
Falcrack wrote:
Sat, 10. Apr 21, 15:31
This is entirely incorrect. It is the station manager that tells the miners what to mine. And even with a 5 star manager, my miners were all going to get silicon and almost entirely ignoring ore, even though the station was full up on silicon and completely out of ore, and there was a massive need for ore.
Including the post below, this is basically what happens as i see it

It mostly happens for me when lower level miners get stuck at mining silicon, ending up with situation where majority of miners finally finished filling cargohold with silicon but station is already full.

My(working) solution avoids this issue by making a mid-point for mining, separately for ore and silicon. It also allows you to supply multiple factories from single mining outpost.
This is also how my HQ miners have nividium stuck here and there after research is done.
Perhaps miners sent out should have their potential cargo calculated and added into trade offers so that the station knows what's going to be incoming. Especially since I'm fairly certain one of the things trade offers are meant to solve is the old X3 problem of UTs being unable to sell their wares. Afaict we no longer have that, instead with have station miners unable to sell their wares for essentially the same reasons.

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:41

Raptor34 wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:18
Perhaps miners sent out should have their potential cargo calculated and added into trade offers so that the station knows what's going to be incoming.
This used to happen back in 3.30 and was removed with 4.00.

Ironlion45
x4

Post by Ironlion45 » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:46

I'm noticing something odd. My M Miners are having a lot of trouble unloading their cargo. but my S miners seem to be working at a normal level of efficiency. It's kind of bizarre.

My M miners set to Automine seem to fill up their cargo bays and just sort of hang out "mining" but in reality not doing anything. This is 100% broken as far as they go.

I'm frankly not really willing to invest more time into my save, or the game in general, when something so fundamental to the economy is broken right now :/ And I really want to. I'm enjoying the game, I just wish my economy could progress...

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:54

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:41
Raptor34 wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:18
Perhaps miners sent out should have their potential cargo calculated and added into trade offers so that the station knows what's going to be incoming.
This used to happen back in 3.30 and was removed with 4.00.
Wait, what? Is this why mining is more complicated now?

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 12:15

Raptor34 wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:54
It had other issues which is likely why it was removed.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 12:23

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 12:15
Raptor34 wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 11:54
It had other issues which is likely why it was removed.
Like low level miners hogging trade offers?

Imperial Good
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Imperial Good » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 13:03

Raptor34 wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 12:23
Possibly. In any case it was not too effective and many people did complain that they had issues with it.

Raptor34
x4

Post by Raptor34 » Sun, 11. Apr 21, 13:22

Imperial Good wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 13:03
Raptor34 wrote:
Sun, 11. Apr 21, 12:23
Possibly. In any case it was not too effective and many people did complain that they had issues with it.
I see. Must have missed that.

Return to “X4: Foundations”