Does still having shields reduce the chances of crew bailing?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Solomon Short
x4

Does still having shields reduce the chances of crew bailing?

Post by Solomon Short » Fri, 16. Oct 20, 05:54

The first time I tried to attack a capital (SCA Phoenix Sentinel), I was able to take out most of it's surface elements, but the main shield generators were protected by the main shield (naturally), & even after I dropped 8 Mk.1 Laser Towers, the ship I was using just couldn't get ahead of the regen (even with the station it had been attack also hitting it with big yellow beams every few seconds).

So since then I've been equipping my personal ship with weapons that do hull damage even while shields are up as soon as possible, & on my latest run (Fires of Defeat) I've noticed that nothing has bailed, no matter how many times I let them restore their hull (to 10% or 15% admittedly) then take it back down to 1% or lower, since I captured that one ship (a data leak assassination target) with my starting Mk.1 Neutron Gatling.

I was wondering if this is related to the fact that shields regenerate faster than hull does, & it's not actually easy to keep the target at 0% shields while not getting too far ahead of hull repairs?

dtpsprt
x4

Re: Does still having shields reduce the chances of crew bailing?

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 16. Oct 20, 06:58

Solomon Short wrote:
Fri, 16. Oct 20, 05:54
The first time I tried to attack a capital (SCA Phoenix Sentinel), I was able to take out most of it's surface elements, but the main shield generators were protected by the main shield (naturally), & even after I dropped 8 Mk.1 Laser Towers, the ship I was using just couldn't get ahead of the regen (even with the station it had been attack also hitting it with big yellow beams every few seconds).

So since then I've been equipping my personal ship with weapons that do hull damage even while shields are up as soon as possible, & on my latest run (Fires of Defeat) I've noticed that nothing has bailed, no matter how many times I let them restore their hull (to 10% or 15% admittedly) then take it back down to 1% or lower, since I captured that one ship (a data leak assassination target) with my starting Mk.1 Neutron Gatling.

I was wondering if this is related to the fact that shields regenerate faster than hull does, & it's not actually easy to keep the target at 0% shields while not getting too far ahead of hull repairs?
Actually, when trying to board a ship (L or XL) you have to take out it's shields right after you take out it's engines and turrets. The hull can wait.

Solomon Short
x4

Post by Solomon Short » Fri, 16. Oct 20, 10:06

I forgot to mention that while I have the shield-piercing lasers (Tau <something>?) for when I go after boardable ships (so I can take out the shields despite their regen), I'm mainly asking about S & M ships (I spent over an hour, & 4 reloads from accidentally destroying it, trying to get a Manorina to bail, I gave up on the Dragon & Asp the first time I killed them, & I can't remember what the others were [well, a Courier, an M-Mineral, & 2 S-fighters]).

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 16. Oct 20, 12:59

Ime you have to drop hull somewhat to get a higher bail chance. Maybe 50% or such. But after that shields don't really matter (though hull regens so it's best to keep it at 0).
I never destroy main shield generators during boarding.

I can imagine that projectiles bypassing shields have a very low bail chance. I usually use pulse and taus in some cases.

Also since i got to ace of aces 2nd the bail chance seemed to radically increase.

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Fri, 16. Oct 20, 16:17

Solomon Short wrote:
Fri, 16. Oct 20, 10:06
I forgot to mention that while I have the shield-piercing lasers (Tau <something>?) for when I go after boardable ships (so I can take out the shields despite their regen), I'm mainly asking about S & M ships (I spent over an hour, & 4 reloads from accidentally destroying it, trying to get a Manorina to bail, I gave up on the Dragon & Asp the first time I killed them, & I can't remember what the others were [well, a Courier, an M-Mineral, & 2 S-fighters]).
S & M ships are totally different than L and XL in making the pilot jump out and leave it for you. The Tau's are too hard for such an operation IMHO, especially for S that do not regenerate their hull. For these ships anything beyond S Pulse MK II is more likely to blow them to their composing atoms than make the pilot bail out. Even for M that regenerate their hull. I prefer having the "cushion" of the shield to chew into as they start going into traveldrive before I touch the hull.

Return to “X4: Foundations”