Auxiliary Ship Traders are Possibly Broken

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

worsin
x3ap

Auxiliary Ship Traders are Possibly Broken

Post by worsin » Fri, 24. Apr 20, 23:10

I bought and then assigned the Auxiliary ship to a fleet as a supply ship.

The Auxiliary shows to have a list of required materials to do its job in the information tab...ok sounds good

So i sent the Auxiliary ship to collect supplies and realized man this is taking forever. It collected a few of the supplies but there are a couple remaining such as missile components.

I then bought 2 Trade Ships and added them to the Nomad Auxiliary ship as part of its fleet. These ships show that they want to trade with the Nomad in their behaviors.

The problem is that the nomad does not show the remaining items needed in its trade overview area when you select the Nomad and hit Trade Offers.

Shouldn't it be listing the remaining supplies it needs in the trade offers area? Wouldn't this enable the trade ships assigned to it to go and fetch the remaining materials?

Edit: Further testing i have tried the following.

Send Trader to pick up missile components and see if he automatically goes back to the Nomad to deliver them. He does not do this. He sits outside the station where he picked up Missile Components searching for trades. Perhaps his level of pilot is too low. I will test with 5 star next.

easternsun

Re: Auxiliary Ship Traders are Possibly Broken

Post by easternsun » Sat, 25. Apr 20, 16:51

Does the aux ship have orders to dock and trade for these supplies? If so it's reserving its own trade offers. This happens when you use the Get supplies command.

Cancel the orders and leave the ship in the supply fleet command. Assigned traders will then get supplies to the commanders max gate range.

Get supplies = no trade offers. It gets them itself.
Supply fleet = sit and wait for trades. Uses traders to refill.

bitvoid
x4

Post by bitvoid » Sat, 25. Apr 20, 20:36

Does the aux ship have any queued orders? There appears to be a limitation currently where aux ships will only generate trade offers while they are executing their supply fleet default behavior. If they are doing anything else the trade offers will disappear.

zakaluka

Post by zakaluka » Sat, 25. Apr 20, 20:54

Also check the Autotrade orders on your assigned traders, make sure the ware list in that order includes the item you're missing.

I have on a few occasions had assigned traders with an incomplete list of wares, for some reason. Removing all assignments and forming a new trading group usually forces the game to reset the list. (putting back in the same group may or may not work)

easternsun

Post by easternsun » Sun, 26. Apr 20, 00:57

When a ware becomes critical stations and AUX ships tell all traders to only trade those wares. Until these wares have a reservation everything else stalls.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 27. Apr 20, 11:25

I don't think we can assign Traders to support Supply Ships like we can stations.

I think the "Get supies" setting just instructs the Supply Ship to create buy orders and fly around looking for stations to buy from itself. Free Traders can sell to the Suplly Ship too.

Thurak
x4

Post by Thurak » Mon, 27. Apr 20, 12:48

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Mon, 27. Apr 20, 11:25
I don't think we can assign Traders to support Supply Ships like we can stations.
Yes, we can. It's introduced in 3.0, it's called "Trade for" and it is possible on supply ships.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 27. Apr 20, 13:03

Thurak wrote:
Mon, 27. Apr 20, 12:48
Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
Mon, 27. Apr 20, 11:25
Yes, we can. It's introduced in 3.0, it's called "Trade for" and it is possible on supply ships.
Thanks for this info, which I had missed!

Admiral Sausage

Post by Admiral Sausage » Mon, 27. Apr 20, 19:17

I was going to post this as a feature request, but after reading this thread I'm not sure if it's really a missing feature or just a bug: I want an Auxilliary ship to function as a fleet leader.

They are ideal for long-range exploration of the galaxy, carrying everything needed to be independent for extended periods. For this purpose they don't need to be part of a huge military fleet as they aren't going to war. The one I have has just a few fighters for defense, and an M trader to fetch supplies. As the largest ship, the one that will be carrying the others, and the one that I stand on the bridge of while travelling, it makes sense for it to be the lead ship. This doesn't work well currently, as the trader won't fetch supplies.

The behaviour I have observed, is that if the trader is just assigned as a subordinate trader to the aux ship, it will start Searching for trades, and will remain where it is forever after without buying anything. When I first tried this, both the aux ship and the trader were in Grand Exchange I, where every required ware is available from my HQ, and at least some from NPC stations.

I then tried giving the aux ship the Get Supplies order, and it obediently flew off and purchased the wares itself, with no help from the assigned trader. While this works, it's not ideal due to how slow aux ships are.

Then I flew off to the other side of the galaxy, while the trader was left behind (since the aux ship had the trader's wing set to "docked", I would have expected it to return home once the aux ship was full. It should at least follow the fleet). I used some supplies on the way, so I wanted to refill the spare parts. I gave the aux ship the Get Supplies order again, but the order disappeared from its queue after a fraction of a second, without anything happening - maybe it won't bother refilling if it only needs small quantities? The trader meanwhile was still iding in Grand Exchange I.

Lastly, I tried assigning the aux ship the Supply Fleet role as the subordinate of one of the fighters it carries. At that point its own trader went and bought something and made its way back to the aux ship, and some local NPC traders came and sold some stuff, as expected. So, that works well, but as I said above, I want aux ships to be able to restock themselves using traders without having to be attached to a fleet as a subordinate.

p.s. The Default setting for automatic resupply is set to High, with both the aux ship and its trader set to inherit that.

p.p.s A couple of other related things I noticed: One of my ships that is part of a completely separate fleet came and resupplied at the aux ship. That's great, and exactly what I would expect, except that if I have interpreted the manual correctly, aux ships are not supposed to resupply ships that aren't part of its fleet without being explicitly ordered to. And lastly, while watching the two Monitors that I delivered as part of a mission (which had been given the Supply Fleet role), they took a very, very long time to travel across a sector because they stopped every time some passing trader dropped off wares. Can the AI not land on a moving ship?

Admiral Sausage

Post by Admiral Sausage » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 17:53

Sadly, the behaviour I described above is the same in 4.0 - traders assigned to aux ships will not buy wares unless the aux ship is subordinate to another ship. This makes it hard to use aux ships like expedition vehicles.

Karvat
x4

Post by Karvat » Tue, 20. Apr 21, 19:40

worsin wrote:
Fri, 24. Apr 20, 23:10
I bought and then assigned the Auxiliary ship to a fleet as a supply ship.

The Auxiliary shows to have a list of required materials to do its job in the information tab...ok sounds good

So i sent the Auxiliary ship to collect supplies and realized man this is taking forever. It collected a few of the supplies but there are a couple remaining such as missile components.

I then bought 2 Trade Ships and added them to the Nomad Auxiliary ship as part of its fleet. These ships show that they want to trade with the Nomad in their behaviors.

The problem is that the nomad does not show the remaining items needed in its trade overview area when you select the Nomad and hit Trade Offers.

Shouldn't it be listing the remaining supplies it needs in the trade offers area? Wouldn't this enable the trade ships assigned to it to go and fetch the remaining materials?

Edit: Further testing i have tried the following.

Send Trader to pick up missile components and see if he automatically goes back to the Nomad to deliver them. He does not do this. He sits outside the station where he picked up Missile Components searching for trades. Perhaps his level of pilot is too low. I will test with 5 star next.
How did you even get to this point, every single time i assign a supply ship to a fleet it doesen't show anything as required in the information tab, can't figure out if i am doing something wrong or what.

Return to “X4: Foundations”