The X4 Handbook project - seeking contributions.

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Buzz2005
x4

Re: The X4 Handbook project - seeking contributions.

Post by Buzz2005 » Sun, 30. Jun 19, 10:34

apricotslice wrote:
Sun, 30. Jun 19, 03:38

For example, the build the dock instructions should say: Build a dock. Once the build is saved and a builder ship is on the way, you can dock at the build module to transfer wares to the build. (Found next to the build ship after it arrives) Once built, land on the dock, walk to elevator, talk to Boron.
Again it does say exactly that, in the lower left corner of the screen if the HQ mission is in active state its says exactly Build Dock
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

radcapricorn
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by radcapricorn » Sun, 30. Jun 19, 19:03

Yes, but what comes next isn't very well related, and apricotslice is not the first one to have been confused by it, I definitely remember someone else asking about it. After dock is built, guidance leads you to the HQ. Boso only says on radio "when you dock, go to the elevator". Once. Neither the briefing, nor guidance mention this at all. So if you save and don't play for a couple of days, it's very easy to forget, especially if it's first time. So you come back and find that guidance leads you to HQ. You dock, and... what now? Is the mission stuck? Are you supposed to do something?..

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Sun, 30. Jun 19, 19:31

radcapricorn wrote:
Sun, 30. Jun 19, 19:03
Yes, but what comes next isn't very well related, and apricotslice is not the first one to have been confused by it, I definitely remember someone else asking about it. After dock is built, guidance leads you to the HQ. Boso only says on radio "when you dock, go to the elevator". Once. Neither the briefing, nor guidance mention this at all. So if you save and don't play for a couple of days, it's very easy to forget, especially if it's first time. So you come back and find that guidance leads you to HQ. You dock, and... what now? Is the mission stuck? Are you supposed to do something?..
did it 3 or 4 times, the yellow circle always led me to the elevator and the button, maybe they broke it now?
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 1. Jul 19, 03:28

Buzz2005 wrote:
Sun, 30. Jun 19, 19:31
radcapricorn wrote:
Sun, 30. Jun 19, 19:03
did it 3 or 4 times, the yellow circle always led me to the elevator and the button, maybe they broke it now?
There was no yellow circle on the dock after you landed, when I did it last night.

He does mention transporter in the verbal, but I thought it meant the transporter research, not get on the transporter after you dock.

Anyway I sorted out the whole thing last night (took hours), and am now researching.

Getting the handbook started, I've done 2 sections already. First is what to do starting up a new game, and the second is completing the PHQ ready to research.

Also working on a FAQ section as I ask questions myself and google them.

Question for answering:

For each start, where is the best sector to find a war? (I'm in Argon Prime and have found 2, but from new game to new game, they seem to vary a lot.) Where should you look?

Any particular type of station where you're more likely to get a stream of red coming and going?

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Mon, 1. Jul 19, 12:43

apricotslice wrote:
Mon, 1. Jul 19, 03:28
Question for answering:

For each start, where is the best sector to find a war? (I'm in Argon Prime and have found 2, but from new game to new game, they seem to vary a lot.) Where should you look?

Any particular type of station where you're more likely to get a stream of red coming and going?
You are looking for a war for what purpose? To kill reds for reputation with local faction? Or to collect dropped loot? Or someone to sign up with for faction mission access?
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Mon, 1. Jul 19, 13:39

strask412 wrote:
Mon, 1. Jul 19, 12:43
apricotslice wrote:
Question for answering:

You are looking for a war for what purpose? To kill reds for reputation with local faction? Or to collect dropped loot? Or someone to sign up with for faction mission access?
All 3.

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Thu, 4. Jul 19, 05:29

Sorry for late reply, haven't been feeling verbose the past day or so but I've thought about the below:
apricotslice wrote:
Question for answering:
It occurs to me that, in the absence of some motivation to AVOID exploration, thinking of this question in the "For each start" frame of mind is somewhat counterproductive. Firstly because as you said the experience can vary somewhat based on the initial galaxy seed, and secondly because if you go to the "closest place for this game start" and it's inadequate, you might not think to go check the others.

Having said that, and given that "explore and look around for what you want" isn't very helpful advice for someone who has explored some and not yet found what they want, I'll try to give more concrete advice on a per-faction basis now. But my advice assumes that the player is not averse to at least taking a trip around the highway loop once, and exploring a sector out from the highway sectors in a few directions.

Reasons to look for a fight
  • Maybe you just want to shoot stuff
    • Consider reputation when selecting who to shoot.
    • Consider relative chance of death/failure.
    • Consider what else you might gain.
      • Station and sector authorities reward you for station defense with credits and reputation.
      • Sometimes you capture ships, or they drop loot when destroyed.
    Ok so if that's what you are looking for, you probably want to shoot small xenon and kha'ak ships near stations in a sector owned (and near a station owned) by a faction with whom it is at least possible to gain reputation. You also want to select a sector where xenon traffic occurs.
    1. Teladi always have a xenon problem in Ianamus Zura, right near the main trading station.
    2. Holy Order has a xenon problem at the gate -x/-z from the main highway in Holy Vision.
    3. Hatikvah Free League and/or Argon Federation will have xenon issues near the +x highway gate in Hatikvah's Choice I.
    4. I don't recall a direct connection between the Godrealm paranid and the xenon, but there is a Kha'ak station cluster situation in Pious Mists IV (Gate almost directly -z from the +x highway gate in Pious Mists II).
  • Maybe you are trying to gain rep with a faction with no easy xenon/kha'ak targets.
    1. Antigone Republic I think has a gate to xenon space someplace, but I forget where and I don't recall a lot of fighting / traffic there anyway. Best bet to gain rep with them via combat is helping them try to win Second Contact II Flashpoint vs the Argon or the Holy Order.
    2. Ministry of Finance isn't really fighting anyone, so you are kind of out of luck there.
    3. Really, gaining rep via blowing things up is ok, but gaining rep via completing missions is faster in my experience anyway.
  • Maybe you want to join the "war effort" for one of the factions. This is totally simple, but (frustratingly) not entirely obvious. First get your rep with any war-fighting faction to +10, then go to the missions interface and look for things like "Argon vs Holy Order" and "Argon vs Xenon" and "Holy Order vs Paranid" in the "Guild missions" tab. If your rep is at +10 with the employer faction, you should see these missions listed (but the visibility of some of them may depend on your current location, so if you don't see one you want, travel to a sector where it would be "in context" (like the border sector between the two relevant warring factions) and check again). The first mission in each "war" is essentially just to sign up for further missions. Note it is entirely possible to sign up on both sides of a given war, for example "Argon vs Holy Order" and "Holy Order vs Argon". The first party listed in the war name is the employer, the second party is the target faction.
apricotslice wrote:
Defense stations in contested sectors, look for transports carrying building supplies to the stations owned by the not-current-sector-owners, whose destruction won't be frowned upon by the current local authorities in most cases.
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Thu, 4. Jul 19, 17:51

apricotslice wrote:
One thing about "red": It's a color that can mean many things, and sometimes not at all what you would hope. Here are the things I know of that can turn a ship "red":
  1. The ship may have become a legitimate target for you to shoot at without the local authorities getting angry, for example "criminal mass traffic" near stations.
  2. The ship may have become aggressive/hostile towards you for any reason (you shot it, or it's just in a bad mood, or you refused to drop your cargo, or your rep is really low).
  3. The ship may have been spawned/summoned/recruited to a fight you are having with something else. For example, if you are shooting at an ANT ship in ARG space, the ANT ship may call on the local police for aid, resulting in a "Temporary" rep loss with one specific ARG combat vessel (and all of its subordinates, if it has any), but no rep loss (yet) with the controlling ARG faction. This situation does indicate however that if you kill the original target, the sector police faction will consider it an "unauthorised kill".
  4. The ship may just belong to a faction you have poor relations with, but isn't actually hostile towards you in any way that would involve shooting or other aggression.
Sometimes, red does not mean what you wish it would. For example, shooting at a completely red target that shot at you first can still get you in trouble (trouble meaning rep loss and/or more ships turning red on you). So it doesn't always mean "safe to shoot", the way it does with criminal mass traffic.
Other times, valid and profitable targets are blue (until you start doing hull damage, for some), despite the fact that the sector authorities hate them and would reward you for the kill, just because you don't (yet?) have a terrible reputation with the target.
- Delilah Shiratori

Return to “X4: Foundations”