Bad performance ruins long term experience

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Arisk
x3ap

Re: Bad performance ruins long term experience

Post by Arisk » Mon, 10. Jun 19, 14:32

all of the x series have the same issue when you have a lot of assets because of the fidelity and the scripted operations it does not matter, fps will safer, i think is more to ram system update than raw cpu power

dont get me wrong strong ipc goes a long way in x series but even in homeworld you can see single digit fps with low (relative) cpu/gpu usage

if you do some digging there are cpu (cache l2-l3) ram speed combinations that can outclass 500mhz - 1ghz cpu deficiencies same core count

Ramokthan
x4

Post by Ramokthan » Mon, 10. Jun 19, 20:35

17 FPs... i would be so glad if i got that LOL.

Yes performance seems to stall VERY hard when game progresses... till its kindo no fun anymore... for my my pain limit is ~10 FPS.
XD

SPiDER
x4

Post by SPiDER » Tue, 11. Jun 19, 10:10

On a new Playthrough I have started I am going to limit my stations size and complexity to a maximum of 5x5x5 and hopefully see an improvement longterm...but my god the difference between this new start and my old one that 2.5 killed is by orders of magnitude..virtually all my old plots were all 10x10x10 and even when not filled up performance around those stations was painful..the other thing that bring a question is by how much of a performance hit do defence modules ( AI turrent Control (( Turrent -Turret as per betty))) create and so what would be the best balance between safety and performance.All I do know is that flying through a populated 10x plot was painfull so far a fully populated 5x5x5 plot appears to cost nothing..as more plots and stations get built it will change but by how much............

steph2019

Post by steph2019 » Tue, 18. Jun 19, 16:03

so now i'm removing satellites one by one (the ones not really usefull) to continue to play a bit and yes I have almost all subscriptions so yeah it was a bit redundant
well, it is a game/own mission in itself with perf still in between 1 to 10 fps :-)
I don't do that every week as I used to play before but still ...I'm with you and will be happy to see the next enhancements.
My Specs are in a post above

cheers

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 00:32

steph2019 wrote:
Tue, 18. Jun 19, 16:03
so now i'm removing satellites one by one (the ones not really usefull) to continue to play a bit and yes I have almost all subscriptions so yeah it was a bit redundant
well, it is a game/own mission in itself with perf still in between 1 to 10 fps :-)
I don't do that every week as I used to play before but still ...I'm with you and will be happy to see the next enhancements.

cheers
Wouldn't it be nice if egosoft in their mercy had provided a command for us to order NPC ships under our command to "collect deployables"?

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 01:27

In relation to performance.
My 8600K @ 4.3Ghz (6c 6t) with Vega 64 I get a comfortable 45 fps in stations (High settings with MSSA 2x, 2560x1440) and over 80fps- (mid 90s most time) while in space. Pushing the CPU to 5Ghz improved FPS especially in systems with a lot of asteroids like Exchange III which is pretty bad
On Sunday my water cooling pump died, so until new coolers arrive, I am using my laptop. Which is a 6700HQ @ 3.2Ghz (4c 8t) and a GTX1060 6GB at 1500Mhz.
The performance on same settings (had to pull the save & settings), is barely 45fps in space a 30fps in stations. And without having Freesync, is pretty bad.

However the GPU doesn't work that hard, even if Nvidia has pretty poor Vulcan support, is the CPU which is holding back the system, considering that it's single core performance is 1/3 of it's desktop counterpart 6700K and 1/4 that of my 8600K. And using CPUZ I see that somehow cannot even hit half the nominal single core perf of my CPU, which makes my CPU working bellow the minimum spec regardless.

Tbh considering how many things going on the background, I am impressed that is still working :) I remember the complains about the performance when X3 and especially X2 came out back in 2003.

These are my 2 cents. :)

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 08:19

Panos wrote:
Wed, 19. Jun 19, 01:27
comfortable 45 fps
:lol:
Those words do not belong in the same sentence, at least not for a first-person game.

I can dig 45FPS in a dense asteroid field or a firefight, but on a mostly barren station with nothing whatsoever going on? That kind of miserable framerate on hardware that exceeds the recommended spec is not okay.
In X4 it's consistently not okay too, every time you dock, and it's CPU-bound beyond the ability of any currently available hardware to provide respectable (read V-sync 60FPS) performance.
Panos wrote:
considering how many things going on the background
In general, sure. But why so much more just because you have docked at a station?
If it's collision detection as some have suggested, that needs to be sorted out on the same level as the generally hopeless AI pathfinding. Why the hell are things colliding in the first place?

Dirk-Jan
x4

Post by Dirk-Jan » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 11:24

Buzz2005 wrote:
Fri, 31. May 19, 11:47
a suggestion is that you buy trade subscription and remove most satellites, it will help maybe even a lot
I'm not sure that trade subscription even works as it should. I have all of them and still most stations won't reveil their trade items.
X4: Let's do this!
(ASUS Sabertooth X99S; i7 5930@3.5; 24GB RAM; RX 580; playing latest vanilla steam version with Split Vendetta on Win10/64, "the young gun''; mogul/captain)
{playing since X-BTF}

Dirk-Jan
x4

Post by Dirk-Jan » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 11:25

Assailer wrote:
Sat, 1. Jun 19, 16:38
Socratatus wrote:
Fri, 31. May 19, 15:12
Wait. I notice you haven`t told us anything about your system. What is it? You say you have a low res system, but how low is low in your case?
i7-7700, 16gram, 1060gtx
Doesn't sound low to me at all
X4: Let's do this!
(ASUS Sabertooth X99S; i7 5930@3.5; 24GB RAM; RX 580; playing latest vanilla steam version with Split Vendetta on Win10/64, "the young gun''; mogul/captain)
{playing since X-BTF}

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 12:33

Dirk-Jan wrote:
Wed, 19. Jun 19, 11:24
Buzz2005 wrote:
Fri, 31. May 19, 11:47
a suggestion is that you buy trade subscription and remove most satellites, it will help maybe even a lot
I'm not sure that trade subscription even works as it should. I have all of them and still most stations won't reveil their trade items.
really? I had the opposite effect where my ships would go to enemy territory to supply new defence stations that I dont even see in the map, blacklist took care of it
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

cubebix9000
x4

Post by cubebix9000 » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 13:01

No matter how far i progress into the game no matter how many hundreds of ships and stations there are, X4 never uses more then 20% of my CPU. So there is something wrong with X4 as its not utilizing my CPU properly other games do even Firefox uses 100% if it needs to sooooooooooooooo. i7 6700K 3.4ghz

Buzz2005
x4

Post by Buzz2005 » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 13:37

how do you check, if you alttab out of the game then its not an indicator of the usage since your out of the game
Fixed ships getting spawned away from ship configuration menu at resupply ships from automatically getting deployables.

zarrazee

Post by zarrazee » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 14:07

Buzz2005 wrote:
Wed, 19. Jun 19, 13:37
how do you check, if you alttab out of the game then its not an indicator of the usage since your out of the game
Try MSI Afterburner

Panos
x4

Post by Panos » Wed, 19. Jun 19, 23:43

steve_v wrote:
Wed, 19. Jun 19, 08:19
Panos wrote:
comfortable 45 fps
:lol:
Those words do not belong in the same sentence, at least not for a first-person game.

I can dig 45FPS in a dense asteroid field or a firefight, but on a mostly barren station with nothing whatsoever going on? That kind of miserable framerate on hardware that exceeds the recommended spec is not okay.
In X4 it's consistently not okay too, every time you dock, and it's CPU-bound beyond the ability of any currently available hardware to provide respectable (read V-sync 60FPS) performance.
Panos wrote:
considering how many things going on the background
In general, sure. But why so much more just because you have docked at a station?
If it's collision detection as some have suggested, that needs to be sorted out on the same level as the generally hopeless AI pathfinding. Why the hell are things colliding in the first place?
The game is within my XL2730Z Freesync range, so is smooth even at that FPS :D

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Thu, 20. Jun 19, 07:02

Panos wrote:
Wed, 19. Jun 19, 23:43
The game is within my XL2730Z Freesync range, so is smooth even at that FPS :D
I'm sure that's nice for you. I for one am not interested in boasting about my shiny hardware or in replacing the perfectly serviceable monitor I already have.
Freesync is nice, but it should not be necessary. The problem is not people's hardware, and it's certainly not people's monitors. The problem is that the game performs horribly while looking like a modded FPS from 2004.

If someone can provide a reasonable explanation as to why simply being on-station incurs a 20+FPS performance tax despite minimal graphics load and 2 idle CPU cores, I'm all ears.

steph2019

Post by steph2019 » Thu, 20. Jun 19, 08:22

Falcrack wrote:
Wed, 19. Jun 19, 00:32
steph2019 wrote:
Tue, 18. Jun 19, 16:03

cheers
Wouldn't it be nice if egosoft in their mercy had provided a command for us to order NPC ships under our command to "collect deployables"?
yep - I think i posted something similar somewhere (might be a command available with some conditions e.g. either you've done it once manually or if you have special building like e.g. space army camp somewhere )....- or deployable self destruct if you don' t care - but to come back to performance still we should'nt be forced to do that to get back some fps but as a temporary turnaround why not
Last edited by steph2019 on Fri, 21. Jun 19, 20:25, edited 2 times in total.

Arisk
x3ap

Post by Arisk » Thu, 20. Jun 19, 13:46

Panos wrote:
Wed, 19. Jun 19, 23:43

If someone can provide a reasonable explanation as to why simply being on-station incurs a 20+FPS performance tax despite minimal graphics load and 2 idle CPU cores, I'm all ears.
is script based some actions have to be calculated before others not so parallel like fps and dum Ai

maybe a neural net will work more parallel but we are talking a lot of cores and memory x5 maybe :D Vulcan can incorporate Ai/physics processing in a secondary gpu

erago
x4

Post by erago » Sun, 23. Jun 19, 03:20

Hi, is there a way to deactivate satellites, the provlem i have which i didn't in 2.5 beta is my game us at 2-3 fps now sometimes less. Sone sectors have 200 plys stations, i my self have sone super sized stations with hundreds of production modules and thousands of ships. It was running ok but since the mass stations spawning and massive inceease in traffic the satellites seem to relat all the data constantly and are bottlenecking 2 cores the rest are fine gpu at 5% its an 9700k and 8gb rtx 2070 with 32gb ram and running of a wd black h.2 at 3400. Opening more cores up for use would fix it but also create problems i know so turning of the extensive satellite network would give me a chance ti nuke sectors removing the data problem, the universe is full up :s and i need to do a Thanos.

steve_v
x4

Post by steve_v » Mon, 24. Jun 19, 13:52

erago wrote:
Sun, 23. Jun 19, 03:20
Hi, is there a way to deactivate satellites
Only by laboriously collecting them yourself, which is likely to take 1.21 years.
Ego didn't see fit to give us an NPC ship command to collect deployables, there's a mod that adds it but I'm not sure if it works with 2.50.

erago wrote:
Sun, 23. Jun 19, 03:20
Sone sectors have 200 plys stations, i my self have sone super sized stations with hundreds of production modules and thousands of ships. It was running ok but since the mass stations spawning and massive inceease in traffic the satellites seem to relat all the data constantly and are bottlenecking 2 cores
Satellites won't be helping, but it's the station spam that's killing performance. See here. As far as I can tell current status is many reports, no action.

Kamuchi_
x4

Post by Kamuchi_ » Mon, 24. Jun 19, 16:43

The better question I have is why all the stuffis mainly using just one thread?
Spoiler
Show
There is another game called Stationeers, I help them a tiny bit with trying to find the underlying issue of what code is creating a bug on and off when I play the game.
There is one gigantic difference, they are using coroutines on pretty much every single thing and that game does some really complex atmospheric calculations under the hood that scares the crap out of me :lol:
Spoiler
Show
If any of the devs own it, have a look at it with dnspy :D

Yes, I dropped my core speed by 100mhz to reduce a tiny bit of vcore to stay under 70c as summer hit with a vengence and it's close to 30c inside :shock:
Also also, I know... but I just wanted the highest core speed as that's what games want, and I don't want the extra thermal heat so yes, multitasking with 20 games would suck? :P

So here is my questions devs:
Please use all our cores?

Return to “X4: Foundations”