Most pretty/ugly ship in size class

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

caltrop
x4

Re: Most pretty/ugly ship in size class

Post by caltrop » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 10:51

Interesting discussion.

I agree that the X3 ships looked better overall but it always bugged me that there were relatively minor differences between what were fundamentally different types of ships I.e you could barely tell the destroyer, carrier and constructor apart for each race

Compare that to say the X4 Behemoth, Colossus and Mammoth. It’s now really obvious what the ships are for and they are easy to tell apart...”form follows function”?

=== S-size ===
pretty: Kestrel
ugly: Eclipse

=== M-size ===
pretty: Nemesis
ugly: Osprey

=== L-size ===
pretty: Behemoth
ugly: Odysseus

=== XL-size ===
pretty: Colossus
ugly: Zeus

Tomonor
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Tomonor » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 11:05

Warnoise wrote:
Tue, 22. Jan 19, 09:28
My god...whenever i see comparison between X3 ships and X4 ships I get baffled by the fact that the higher ups gave their permission to release the X4 designs.

Even if you don't like the designs of X3, the sheer of amount of variety and sense of identity that you see in every ship should be enough to make them objectively by faaaaar better than X4 ships.
They were typically longer (dagger shape) with a few exceptions (Pegasus), which is one ofthe reasons they had to go - they just simply wouldn't fit on the new S class docks. But size limitations had to be set to differentiate these ships from each other (this aspect was poorly done in X3 games and in Rebirth as well).

The other reason these new ships might seem uglier for some is the sheer fact that they didn't use curvy edges on them (and X3 is full of those). Our mind prefer curves over rough edges, thus here we are.

Iguanabob
x4

Post by Iguanabob » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 12:10

S-Size
Perseus->Discoverer->Falcon->ALL

M-Size
NEMESIS. My god, I love that thing, bastard-halibut of death. Peregrine looks cool too, currently trying to find a config that the NPCS will utilize well.

L-Size
Behemoth looks okay, but 3x forward-facing L-Turret says buy that the big booty Odysseus.
I like the Magnetar and Shuyaku design-wise though.

XL-Size
havent checked properly yet

Apart from their L/XL-sizes this is the first time around I like the Teladi-Designs. Seems they sold all their old ugly S-designs to the Argons, theirs are SO ugly.
Can't really say I like the destroyer-designs much overall, because they "feel" so small somehow and seem to have so little detail.
Their interiors when flying them on the other hand look cool, especially the Odysseus-bridge is just beautiful.

Mordhar
x4

Post by Mordhar » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 12:37

repatomonor wrote:
Tue, 22. Jan 19, 11:05
The other reason these new ships might seem uglier for some is the sheer fact that they didn't use curvy edges on them (and X3 is full of those). Our mind prefer curves over rough edges, thus here we are.
Not necessary. Simple, rough shapes may look decent if done right.

For example, look at Cerberus. I applaud to designer on this one.
Whoever did it was presented by impossible task: to make something good-looking with current size and form-factor limitations. Failed, naturally, but tried very hard.
As a result, Cerberus is one of the most “mature-looking” ships in entire series. No silly wings/spoilers/whatever, just practical “flying brick” shape, perfect for a ship that never enters atmosphere.

The only thing that stops me from replacing Gorgon with Cerberus as my secondary player ship is the cockpit position combined with inability to put landed ships in internal storage. I will gladly sacrifice vastly superior stats of Gorgon for better visuals, but flying ship with 50-80% of my view obstructed is not an option.

caltrop
x4

Post by caltrop » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 12:51

Iguanabob wrote:
Tue, 22. Jan 19, 12:10
S-Size
Perseus->Discoverer->Falcon->ALL

M-Size
NEMESIS. My god, I love that thing, bastard-halibut of death. Peregrine looks cool too, currently trying to find a config that the NPCS will utilize well.

L-Size
Behemoth looks okay, but 3x forward-facing L-Turret says buy that the big booty Odysseus.
I like the Magnetar and Shuyaku design-wise though.

XL-Size
havent checked properly yet

Apart from their L/XL-sizes this is the first time around I like the Teladi-Designs. Seems they sold all their old ugly S-designs to the Argons, theirs are SO ugly.
Can't really say I like the destroyer-designs much overall, because they "feel" so small somehow and seem to have so little detail.
Their interiors when flying them on the other hand look cool, especially the Odysseus-bridge is just beautiful.
If you liked the Paranid L bridge, wait till you see the XL one ^_^

I think they have done a good job with the M & L traders (and miners) tbh, whether it’s the classic Mercury, Drill, the Sonra/Shoyaku or the corresponding Paranid designs. Hate the cramped Vulture cockpits though - classic Teladi penny pinching!

dennoucoil
x4

Post by dennoucoil » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 13:38

Mordhar wrote:
Tue, 22. Jan 19, 12:37
The only thing that stops me from replacing Gorgon with Cerberus as my secondary player ship is the cockpit position combined with inability to put landed ships in internal storage. I will gladly sacrifice vastly superior stats of Gorgon for better visuals, but flying ship with 50-80% of my view obstructed is not an option.
To be honest, that is one of the reasons i love Cerberus. Going to a scary part of universe and ordering my fighter to protect me looks cooler when music kicks in and your fighter undocking in your vision.

caltrop
x4

Post by caltrop » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 13:56

dennoucoil wrote:
Tue, 22. Jan 19, 13:38

To be honest, that is one of the reasons i love Cerberus. Going to a scary part of universe and ordering my fighter to protect me looks cooler when music kicks in and your fighter undocking in your vision.
Yep, that is really cool. Not so cool is the drones taking off and landing and taking off and then deciding not to land etc. while your fighter is stuck in storage and the hangar doors rise and fall and keep blocking the view

Would have been perfect with separate launch tubes :)

kobayashimaru
x4

Post by kobayashimaru » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 14:40

All Paranid ships- UGLY! Well, except maybe nemesis and gorgon. I can't believe Egosoft decided to redesign Argon and Teladi ships, but leave Paranid ships as ugly as before, the ugliest design in the game series. :D

That being said, I like the new Argon designs. Behemoth looks very nice.

kobayashimaru
x4

Post by kobayashimaru » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 14:45

repatomonor wrote:
Not my mind! I love the new angular designs.
I always loved when spaceships had angular design, with lots of antennae and turrets sticking out. Looks more menacing that way. :)

iroku
x4

Post by iroku » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 14:51

i really, reallly, realllllyyyyy like the quasar :) tiny with a big punch

and ermmm this could sound weird, but the mushroom carrier to me is is just gorgeous lololol

I agree with the miners and freighters most of them were really well made. not that i like the teladi traders but they are still ok.

When it comes to fighters, my most used ship is the frigate but i cant stand flying them or beeing on them... they are all pretty ugly IMO, the teladi boat is the only that feels "piratey" and i sometimes use it for that, cant wait for split ships...

I think the nodan is a really interesting design, far from the mind of a 4 year old

But yea i mostly fly the nemesis but the quasar stole my heart

MurderousBoron

Post by MurderousBoron » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 16:47

S- Quasar (but just the looks), Pulsar is awesome to fly but ugly as hell. What are these strange blades for?!?!!!
M- Peregrin (Roccinante) and Osprey. Frist really liked the Nemesis but the cockpit always bugs me. Not being centred in a combat ship......
L- Shuyaku

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Tue, 22. Jan 19, 19:28

repatomonor wrote:
I dont. But it's besides the point, everyone has their preferences. However, the paranid ships in X4 are 100% X3 ships that where modified. You can compare them directly 1:1. And they look technically worse/ less well crafted than the originals they copied. Look at the details. The crevices - in X3 they have different textures, the trims that surround the plates or cutouts - all different textures. The texture itself has not just the dividing sections but also 'wear' marks (scratches). From texture quality to model execution quality to conceptual design (the huge cutouts in the hull to fit modules etc). A ship model that was made ~ 15 years ago has actual better quality than the current version in the latest game... its baffling.
repatomonor wrote:
They were typically longer (dagger shape) with a few exceptions (Pegasus), which is one ofthe reasons they had to go - they just simply wouldn't fit on the new S class docks. But size limitations had to be set to differentiate these ships from each other (this aspect was poorly done in X3 games and in Rebirth as well).
I mean... its one way to design an antirely new car class around a parking spot that is also entirely new. Just because the old ships are more elongated doesnt mean they cant land on a rectangular spot. Or that the spot couldnt have been made a little bit more elongated and ships that are wide rotate 90° on landing to fit the "elongated" spot.
I get the impression that Egosoft only knows how to use just flamethrower or just freeze ray. There is just one extreme or the other. Never an inbetween. X3 had some problems with ship size, yes. Most importantly problems with ships not fitting or gates or internal docks (Hyperion and Springblossom especially, the most overpowered and therefore most flown ships in X3TC). Some inconsistency with sizes as well if you looked closer. It could have been easily solved by quality control and forward thinking before hand. Or model/ size adjustements "post hand". But they just let the designers run free out of considerations for the practical aspects - like where to place turrets, how does it fit into gates or docks etc.
Around comes X4, where they rigorously planned every size limit and what every ship class should be able to dock, how large modules should be etc. But forgot (apparently) that there needs to be enough leeway room for nice and varied ship designs. And that landing pads take enormous amounts of space on the surface and are super restrictive for the design when put on ships that are just too small - and that there are other solutions to connect 2 ships than to land on top of them to walk outside. And they also forgot that internal docks require enough space inside the ship to fit properly and not destroy immersion.

But it seems they dont know or cant decide wether to use flamethrower or freeze ray either and flip a coin instead.
X2 and X3 had cartoony character windows. X2 had simple shapes and very stout forms - made them look cartoony ships (everything had to be simple back then). X3 no longer needed it, machines around that time could handle more - and X3 ended up havin 'believable' ship designs (as in not toy like). Around come XR and X4. The characters are now proper "realistic models" (sort of uncanny, but still). But the ships look like giant toys, while the stations and interiors look "normal". It just doesnt fit at all. No consistency.

SETA back then was another one of those flamethrower freeze ray binary decisions. In XR development bernd said it was the evil and "just a hack". So it got axed. At least they came to their senses, but didnt learn the lesson. Jumpdrives where next. Too powerfull, "the evil that ruined the gameplay" -> axed, replaced by other things that have just as many undesirable side effects. To make the sideeffects less, they balanced the new thing (teleporter) a bit, with some progression o meter...
Never mind that its completely possible to balance the jumpdrive as well through various methods - and forgetting or deliberately rejecting the thought that both systems can exist at the same time :gruebel: Just one of the many sideeffects now, without jumpdrive: Carriers - completely useless (for other reasons too).

I wonder whats next... X5... "dynamic economy didnt work -> axed. Replaced by on-rail linear story-game". i'm exaggerating, but come on... less axing, more adjusting to make work what you have. If you keep replacing everything that doesnt work on the first attempt you can never optimize it to become better...
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

Warnoise

Post by Warnoise » Wed, 23. Jan 19, 02:34

Socratatus wrote:
Tue, 22. Jan 19, 09:52
Warnoise wrote:
Tue, 22. Jan 19, 09:28

whenever i see comparison between X3 ships and X4 ships I get baffled by the fact that the higher ups gave their permission to release the X4 designs.

Even if you don't like the designs of X3, the sheer of amount of variety and sense of identity that you see in every ship should be enough to make them objectively by faaaaar better than X4 ships.
It could be all to do with frame rates. Maybe the Devs wanted simpler ships to make sure their game could run on most systems and are monitoring how it all goes. Remember the game has no loading screens which means everything has to be ready to show up for the player. This has to cost something, even if the Devs won`t admit it.

I`m surprised how people don`t consider these things.
Lol you are implying that the game currently runs on most systems? The game has one of the highest minimum spec recommendations in the market...

Return to “X4: Foundations”