Way to restock your missles without going to equipment dock?

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

letwolf

Way to restock your missles without going to equipment dock?

Post by letwolf » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 14:45

x3 TC had ttlransporter device and you could always have your TS freighter full of missles nearby. There in x4, missiles does not count as "normal" wares, so how the F... we can now restock it? Imagine a carrier with 20 fighters, carrier itself has empty huge cargo bay and only 100 missiles loaded on it? It's ridiculous! How it is supposed to restock its fighters? By 5 missles to every fighter and they ended? Meh!
Please make a missles, drones etc. a "normal" ware, so we can stock them into carrier cargo bay until it full of them!

Smacksim
x4

Re: Way to restock your missles without going to equipment dock?

Post by Smacksim » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 15:20

I have not used the mod yet but the 'mobile shipyards' mod unlocks the fleet tender ships that can restock a fleet in space... apparently. I'm with you though... let missiles be wares and let us shoot them down in space (and show up on a special missile radar). I want to see a radar screen full of nukes headed towards a K

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 15:31

letwolf wrote:
Sun, 20. Jan 19, 14:45
x3 TC had ttlransporter device and you could always have your TS freighter full of missles nearby. There in x4, missiles does not count as "normal" wares, so how the F... we can now restock it? Imagine a carrier with 20 fighters, carrier itself has empty huge cargo bay and only 100 missiles loaded on it? It's ridiculous! How it is supposed to restock its fighters? By 5 missles to every fighter and they ended? Meh!
Please make a missles, drones etc. a "normal" ware, so we can stock them into carrier cargo bay until it full of them!
Think about real life here for a minute. On a current military ship, moving a missile from a cargo bay to be loaded on a missile rack, unless there are very specialized systems in place designed to move that missile, may not even be possible. There may be no link between an inner cargo bay and the missile rack on the outside of the ship, because designing one may be hugely difficult, and if you did design such as system, then the cargo bay might then only be limited to carrying missiles and nothing else. So I do think it is at least somewhat realistic that missiles should not be loadable from the regular cargo bay, unless they are being equipped at a specialized dock that is able to perform such a missile loading task, such as a carrier dock or equipment dock.

I do think missiles and other deployables should be treated as wares, just not able to be deployed unless they are present in the "deployables" storage area, loaded into that area at a dock.

TDQuasar
x4

Post by TDQuasar » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 17:24

Falcrack wrote:
Sun, 20. Jan 19, 15:31
Think about real life here for a minute.
Considering today's technology when it comes to fiction that takes place thousands of years in the future fails in my opinion. We also can't imagine how to do a lot of things that are completely normal in X4. Not even talking about teleport here, just things like claytronics etc. Romans would also think it's impossible to build tanks.

I agree that we need a way to restock missiles while the ship is in space; and missiles (and everything in game) should be transportable wares. We even have a special inventory now for crafting stuff that you take with you and you can sell like they were normal wares (although you still can't store them at one of your stations, which should also be introduced).
X4 Foundations videos ***NOT MODIFIED***
X Rebirth Vanilla Plot videos
X Rebirth videos
I also have a lot of older ***NOT MODIFIED*** X3 videos.

Kintanar
x4

Post by Kintanar » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 21:41

As in real life, a destroyer cannot reload missiles on its own while at sea, they need to get back to dock to reload the missiles in the vertical launchers. But a carrier its main reason of existence its that can rearm its figthers and repair them. In the encyclopedia its said that missiles are build on site and on demand. So, we only need a command in a carrier to "demand" for a ship those missiles or for itself, and the carriers will need to have on its cargo hold Missiles parts, energy cell and smart chips to build those missiles to be loaded on a bomber or figther or for itself. Destroyers are capable to carry figthers also, so it must able to rearm and repair them also.

What I would like for a carrier, is to reload its figthers and repair them, even when there will be needed to have on the carrier cargo hold, missile parts, energy cell, smart chip, hull parts, engine parts, etc. etc., and of course personnel to do the job and time to do so...

CaptainX4

Post by CaptainX4 » Sun, 20. Jan 19, 22:16

Falcrack wrote:
letwolf wrote:
Think about real life here for a minute. On a current military ship, moving a missile from a cargo bay to be loaded on a missile rack, unless there are very specialized systems in place designed to move that missile, may not even be possible. There may be no link between an inner cargo bay and the missile rack on the outside of the ship, because designing one may be hugely difficult, and if you did design such as system, then the cargo bay might then only be limited to carrying missiles and nothing else. So I do think it is at least somewhat realistic that missiles should not be loadable from the regular cargo bay, unless they are being equipped at a specialized dock that is able to perform such a missile loading task, such as a carrier dock or equipment dock.

I do think missiles and other deployables should be treated as wares, just not able to be deployed unless they are present in the "deployables" storage area, loaded into that area at a dock.
yeah, they cant reload missiles on current military ships because they are opted for not to, and not because its impossible or difficult, previous missile racks had reload facilities, they ditched them for being unreliable and failing of one would disable the whole armament. otherwise rearming them would be pretty easy from the cargo bay as they were doing so with lighter missiles previously... rearming should be perfectly possible, also, fighters in a carrier are generally "in the dock" so I cant see why it shouldnt work. even modern tanks with external launcher can reload from the cargo without stopping, so fighters should be able to do it so...

Kazuma
x4

Post by Kazuma » Mon, 21. Jan 19, 00:11

I was playing around with this to see if having missile components and smart chips would "auto build" missiles on the destroyer class ships... but alas, the warez transfer broke the ship, so reload time I guess. The is how your stations stock missiles and drones, ordering the "components" and "smart chips" which then allows the object to be created with the other objects consumed in the "logical overview" menu.

One imagines this is "how" it is supposed to work on the destroyers seeing that they have "production terminals" which may be hacked on their hanger decks. It could be as simply as adding the logical overview to your cap ships to execute this conversion script and set missile numbers to keep in the tube.

I suspect it simply isn't implemented much like how the tender ships while "in the game", are not really in the game.

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Thu, 24. Jan 19, 02:40

CaptainX4 wrote:
Sun, 20. Jan 19, 22:16
Falcrack wrote:
letwolf wrote:

yeah, they cant reload missiles on current military ships because they are opted for not to, and not because its impossible or difficult, previous missile racks had reload facilities, they ditched them for being unreliable and failing of one would disable the whole armament. otherwise rearming them would be pretty easy from the cargo bay as they were doing so with lighter missiles previously... rearming should be perfectly possible, also, fighters in a carrier are generally "in the dock" so I cant see why it shouldnt work. even modern tanks with external launcher can reload from the cargo without stopping, so fighters should be able to do it so...
You can certainly design a cargo space system that will allow you to reload missiles into a missile rack. Try designing such a system though where you could store basically any type of cargo besides missiles in that same cargo space.

Shehriazad
x4

Post by Shehriazad » Thu, 24. Jan 19, 02:44

Vanilla will eventually have the "Resuppliers" that are already in the game files activated and be used properly.

I HOPE that they're ready for 2.0 ....of course I know nothing of the devs' scheduling on such matter, but it would be the perfect opportunity to release those 3 ships together with the promised player Shipyards to give more of an incentive.

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Thu, 24. Jan 19, 11:50

Shehriazad wrote:
Thu, 24. Jan 19, 02:44
Vanilla will eventually have the "Resuppliers" that are already in the game files activated and be used properly.

I HOPE that they're ready for 2.0 ....of course I know nothing of the devs' scheduling on such matter, but it would be the perfect opportunity to release those 3 ships together with the promised player Shipyards to give more of an incentive.
+1
Agreed with that, looking forward to the updates

X-Tie
x4

Post by X-Tie » Thu, 24. Jan 19, 15:35

Smacksim wrote:
Sun, 20. Jan 19, 15:20
I have not used the mod yet but the 'mobile shipyards' mod unlocks the fleet tender ships that can restock a fleet in space... apparently. I'm with you though... let missiles be wares and let us shoot them down in space (and show up on a special missile radar). I want to see a radar screen full of nukes headed towards a K
Ahem... You can teleport yourself across the universe into your ships. That's teleporting a very complex biological living organism across massive distances in space. I'm sure teleporting missiles into cargo bays ain't such a stretch :lol:

CaptainX4

Post by CaptainX4 » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 17:30

Falcrack wrote:
Thu, 24. Jan 19, 02:40
You can certainly design a cargo space system that will allow you to reload missiles into a missile rack. Try designing such a system though where you could store basically any type of cargo besides missiles in that same cargo space.
easily

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 26. Jan 19, 17:39

Shehriazad wrote:

Aparently resupply ships are planned for 2.5:
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=413180

shealladh
x4

Post by shealladh » Sun, 27. Jan 19, 09:29

mr.WHO wrote:
Sat, 26. Jan 19, 17:39
Shehriazad wrote:

Aparently resupply ships are planned for 2.5:
viewtopic.php?f=146&t=413180
Yup, looking forward to this rather than 2.0 for that reason.

Return to “X4: Foundations”