Pls add multiplayer!

This forum is the ideal place for all discussion relating to X4. You will also find additional information from developers here.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

consiefe

Re: PLS ADD MULTIPLAYER!

Post by consiefe » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 18:39

CBJ wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 17:38
The reasons why this is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future have been explained on numerous occasions, but I'll summarise them again for those who are new to the forum: it's a lot more difficult than you think, and no matter what bright idea you think you have, there really is no such thing as a "simple" real-time multi-player implementation for this game.

The reasons why some people are so hostile to the idea are also well-rehearsed and can similarly be summarised: the effect on development of the single-player game would be significant, and people who want to play single-player would rather the resources were used on features they want, rather than being diverted to a very development-intensive feature that they have no interest in.

The compromise we have come up with is the Venture feature, which is relatively simple and doesn't significantly affect the game's single-player development path.
Many many thanks!

As an addition to the reasons, if we ever wanted a multiplayer experince, we would go and play already existing ones rather than waiting X series with open arms.

Socratatus
x4

Post by Socratatus » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 18:50

Well it is certainly positive news.

MP is nice in small doses and kept to certain games, but it gets real annoying when every single game gets overtaken by it.
Last edited by Socratatus on Thu, 10. Jan 19, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
"If you`re looking for that one person who can change your life, take a look in the mirror."
"No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking."
"Don`t raise your voice. improve your argument."
"Some men are morally opposed to violence. They are protected by men who are not."

Général Grievous
x4

Post by Général Grievous » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 18:50

No please, no multiplayer.
There is plenty other games like this in multiplayer. Go play Elite or EVE online.
Il vaut mieux mobiliser son intelligence sur des conneries plutot que de mobiliser sa connerie sur des choses intelligentes...

abisha1980
x4

Post by abisha1980 » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 18:54

Devs can add multiplayer rater easy play by mail

their you go multiplayer for X4.......
if you don't like then to bad.
Retail investor, η+18,9% 2022 (η+7.1% 2023) (η+0,74 2024) 95% in bonds.
Young people don't be freaking stupid invest also (not in BTC but in real stocks)

DeFragMe
x4

Post by DeFragMe » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 18:58

abisha1980 wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 18:54
Devs can add multiplayer rater easy play by mail

their you go multiplayer for X4.......
if you don't like then to bad.
please dont remember me of chessgames i played per floppy drive tradeing in school....

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 19:21

Can i get a cent every time this question pops up? :D

reanor
x4

Post by reanor » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 19:24

I side with solo captains. The Venture is good enough for some online feeling, just expand on it. The X games, with X4 as a flagship, are truly one of a kind single player experiences in space at this point, unlike anything out there. Would be sad, if this legacy ended. Many online / MP games out there already, where friends can enjoy themselves together.
“The dark and the light, they exist side by side." ... “It is often in the darkest skies that we see the brightest stars."

TDQuasar
x4

Post by TDQuasar » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 19:51

pref wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 19:21
To be fair to newer X Universe players, I can completely understand their desire to have co-op or multiplayer. But they should understand and accept it with time that it's unlikely to ever happen.

The X games are my favorite single-player games, if I feel like doing some co-op or multiplayer space games I have a nice selection of other games I can go to. So it's all good.
X4 Foundations videos ***NOT MODIFIED***
X Rebirth Vanilla Plot videos
X Rebirth videos
I also have a lot of older ***NOT MODIFIED*** X3 videos.

DeFragMe
x4

Post by DeFragMe » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 19:55

TDQuasar wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 19:51
pref wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 19:21
To be fair to newer X Universe players, I can completely understand their desire to have co-op or multiplayer. But they should understand and accept it with time that it's unlikely to ever happen.

The X games are my favorite single-player games, if I feel like doing some co-op or multiplayer space games I have a nice selection of other games I can go to. So it's all good.
multiplayer , yes, but coop in the same style as X sadly does not exist (e.G. avorion, is not compareable, similar, but not compareable)... but iam also against multiplayer in X, ventures are fine.^^ simple because egosoft is to small for that, they would propably need double the manpower to even do that and still put out the singelplayer content people want.

TDQuasar
x4

Post by TDQuasar » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 20:01

DeFragMe wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 19:55
multiplayer , yes, but coop in the same style as X sadly does not exist (e.G. avorion, is not compareable, similar, but not compareable)... but iam also against multiplayer in X, ventures are fine.^^ simple because egosoft is to small for that, they would propably need double the manpower to even do that and still put out the singelplayer content people want.
True. Maybe not on the level of X, but you can do group play in Elite where only your friends are present. What I really miss from other space games is the empire building aspect, where I have my own factories and everything. Oh yes and the kinda realistic economy that now we have in X4.
X Rebirth videos

pref
x4

Post by pref » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 20:10

TDQuasar wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 19:51

Plus true coop/MP would eliminate the aspect of X games that make it good (numerous autonomous entities, very high limit on asset count etc)

Though ventures could be taken further, for ex being able to buy shares in other players corporation could be funny.
Or allowing ships through with limited vanilla commands defined by the sender..

Anubitus
x4

Post by Anubitus » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 20:16

Pls, don't. There are enough multiplayer space sims out there.

Baconnaise
x4

Post by Baconnaise » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 20:23

Plenty of space shooters to choose from. Put me in the NO camp. Hard pass!

TDQuasar
x4

Post by TDQuasar » Thu, 10. Jan 19, 20:25

pref wrote:
Thu, 10. Jan 19, 20:10
Though ventures could be taken further, for ex being able to buy shares in other players corporation could be funny.
Or allowing ships through with limited vanilla commands defined by the sender..
Great ideas. Could we maybe build a factory in someone else's universe too? Some of these passive interactions would be welcome.

But first some things would need to be fixed in the current game. Things are just too easy, the only reason I do Ventures are the ship skins. If I was desperate for some reason to interact with other universes via Ventures for my survival or real economic benefit that would make it a great feature. On the other hand people who opt out of Ventures should not suffer for their choice either.

I was also thinking about opening up the Venture wormhole for player ship, but only to visit Unknown Sectors (not other players' games obviously) for a short time and gather resources there etc.

Anyway, Ventures will open up practically infinite amount of possibilities for the X games in the future.
X Rebirth videos

Smacksim
x4

Post by Smacksim » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 02:25

I don't want multiplayer but I will never never never accept an argument about "We want development time to be focused on single player features instead of multiplayer". 95% of people that write about games seem to think of a developer as a single person who can only do one thing at once. ***If*** a really astute project manager coupled with an investor decided to take X4 into multiplayer and ***simultaneously*** develop the single player game, then, what would your problem be with it? Personally, I still wouldn't want it but I want to hear from people that used this 'excuse' instead of actual reasons.

If you need some real world examples to get your brain going: Do you think that Google sacrificed development efforts on their search engine to work on Youtube integration? Do you think that Apple screwed up the Iphone because they wanted to make Itunes and Ipods better (yes they eventually gave up but at the time this is apropos). Do you think that Ford stopped making cars because they god distracted with the Ford Foundation? Please learn about how actual companies work and expect more from them, not less.

pref
x4

Post by pref » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 03:16

Smacksim wrote:
Fri, 11. Jan 19, 02:25
Please learn about how actual companies work and expect more from them, not less.
How would MP be more? It's much less, you just can have a bunch of other guys running around in your game in a much less sophisticated system.

Besides as long as some huge budget dev studio doesn't buy ES or the X franchise its not happening, because of lack of dev resources. And i truly hope that won't happen any time soon.
Even if the purchase happened i would wish they focused on the X aspect and not some stupid MP.

Dread Quixadhal
x4

Post by Dread Quixadhal » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 03:30

No.

Even if you could wave a magic wand and just "make it multiplayer", if Egosoft did so, I'd stop playing it entirely.

I don't want to have to chase an ever-increasing epeen score to "stay competitive" with others. I have no desire to see my ships blown up by "UrMomsFat". The last thing I care about is having a "barrens chat" in Argon Prime.

Why can't you multiplayer people go play one of the existing multiplayer space games? Elite Dangerous is right over there. Go buy more ship skins in Star Citizen while you wait. Stop trying to infect every single game with your obsessive compulsive need to be superior to others.

If you REALLY just want to socialize with others who are playing X4 while playing X4, just use Discord and chat. Nothing is stopping you from playing together that way. You can even agree to always build things in the same way so your games are somewhat in sync with each other. The random variations would actually be kindof fun to watch.

NightmareNight91
x4

Post by NightmareNight91 » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 04:03

+1000 for OPTIONAL Co-op

strask412
x4

Post by strask412 » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 04:08

Dread Quixadhal wrote:
Fri, 11. Jan 19, 03:30
If you REALLY just want to socialize with others who are playing X4 while playing X4, just use Discord and chat. Nothing is stopping you from playing together that way.
My friends and I actually played this way in Subnautica for a couple weeks, it was a blast! We hung out on mumble and while each person was doing their own singleplayer game, we were sharing progress updates in between talking about other things and it was so much fun. I strongly recommend playing a singleplayer game you enjoy with friends over the internet, if/when you get the chance. :)
"If I were a shadowy nemesis that wanted to strike the Protectorate where it's weakest, Pioneers space is where I'd begin."
- Delilah Shiratori

Max Bain
x3ap

Post by Max Bain » Fri, 11. Jan 19, 08:25

If they would implement the ventures feature right, Multiplayer would not be necessary anymore in my opinion. But therefore they need to do the following:
  • Mod support if both players have the same mods installed
  • The possibility to specify the player you want to connect
  • Fleed ventures with all kind of ships
  • Commands you can give your ventures like attack/defend player ships/stations, roaming/trading and so on
  • ventures must have big consequences on your ships. The ships must be destroyable.
Then it would have all features I would love to see in a multiplayer for X4 and I could sell at least some more copies of X4 to some friends.
XR Ship Pack (adds several ships from XR) Link
Weapon Pack (adds several new weapons) Link
Economy Overhaul (expands the X4 economy with many new buildings) Link
X4 Editor (view stats of objects and make your own mod within a few clicks) Link

Return to “X4: Foundations”